3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2011 9:33 AM by ~graffiti

Adobe Reader 9.4.0 file association problem...

anomaly76

I have many machines that have both Adobe Acrobat 4.0 and Adobe Reader 9.4.0 on them. Upon uninstalling the 4.0, the file associations are broken for the 9.4. I am looking for the best way to repair the file associations on 2500 machines (all server 2003). I assume that Adobe Reader 9.4.0 opens more file types than just .pdf. I suspect I will need to fix all of them. Is there maybe a command-line repair I can run on the 9.4.0 reader to fix the file associations?

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 9.4.0 file association problem...
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

anomaly76 wrote:

I have many machines that have both Adobe Acrobat 4.0 and Adobe Reader 9.4.0 on them.

That combination is unrecommended and supprted by Adobe. It's one or the other.

I assume that Adobe Reader 9.4.0 opens more file types than just .pdf.

Nope. Just PDF's.

anoma Is there maybe a command-line repair I can run on the 9.4.0 reader to fix the file associations?

You may not need to go that far. Highlight a PDF, right click and use open with. In XP there's a box to tick that says to open all files types of that sort with whatever program you chose. There's probably something similar in your OS (not familiar with it, sorry).

BUT, that may or may not work. You are experiencing one of the many issues involved with having both apps installed. Some of them are fixable, some not. Fixes work on some machines and not others...etc.That's why it isn't supported.

They have finally fixed the issue (sort of) so the first supported combination is Acrobat X and Reader X.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 9.4.0 file association problem...
            anomaly76 Level 1

Thanks for answering. Unfortunately I cannot do that on over 2500 machines. I guess I w

ill reinstall 9.4 again once I uninstall the 4.0.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 9.4.0 file association problem...
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Keep in mind that Acrobat has the ability to do some editing of PDF's (as well as creating PDF's) that Reader does not have. That being said, Acrobat 4 is so old that I'm surprised it even works on any modern OS.