Is CS3 fully updated? How about the OS?
SWF's ring up as possibly being the problem. Any reason you can't get the source as a losslessly compressed format?
Also, what is your project like? Specs please?
Are you using any memory intesive plug-ins? Heavy comps? Heavy res?
AE CS3 updated. Windows 7 Pro is the original installation, pre service pack 1. I'm reluctant to upgrade because this is a video post-production machine that's working well (otherwise!) and I don't want Microsoft to screw it up for me. Besides, from the many references to AE mem. leaks on the web, this prob. bdoes not seem to discriminate among OSs.
Project is just 3 large swfs (the only output from the current version of Captivate, which is where I'm coming from), layered only enough to make quick dissolves between them. There's one audio track (.wav). I'm trying to get to a flv.of about 3 min duration, 800 x 600. Basically this is an edited software demo. with screens that are mostly complex images (photos that change and animations). 30 sec. is about the max I can render, which is tough because I don't think you can concatenate flvs, or import them back into AE. After 30 sec AE craps out.
I'm on a 6GB 8-core i7 machine w TBs of disk space and fast Quadro graphics.
I can sort of understand why AE might need 3+ GB to process a few 30MB source files (not really, though); but I can't understand why, after a rendering and a purge of memory my machine still reports amost 4GB of RAM tied up. Nothing else running. I close AE and restart it, open the same project and the RAM usage is only 1.3 GB. Sounds like the same memory issue that people have been crying about for years, no?
Now trying to render as uncompressed Quicktime segments which can then be re-imported, stuck together in AE and output as flv.
Maybe I shouldn't be using Captivate for complex screen captures.
Sounds like the same memory issue that people have been crying about for years, no?
You are running CS3 on W7 and that settles that - it's an untested and unsupported configuration and you should feel lucky it works at all, given that other users have nothing but trouble with unavailable CoDecs or permission issues. The rest would require going into deeper details but suffice it to say that a single version difference in some DLL would be able to cause a memory black hole and this could be one such case. That is not to say that there couldn't be issues in AE CS3, but as TimeRemapper already pointed out, using this Flash stuff isn't helping the matter . So for what it's worth, this could be very specific to the system you are running, not the usual generic out of mem errors for which AE is notorious.... If restarting the program solves the problem, then that seems a valid enough workaroundand I wouldn't hold out much hope that it can be fixed other than upgrading to CS5.5. Rendering to QT may be an option, but then again you could be fighting fire with fire, as QT has its own set of problems.
OK. I moved the project over to an XP-SP2 machine. Same problem.
Have you played with AE's memory settings, in particular lowering the allowed max RAM usage to enforce earlier flushing of memory blocks? On your W7 system, could you perhaps try the AE CS5/ CS5.5 trial to see if it works there?
thanks. I'll try that as soon as the smoke, and deadline, clear on my current project.
Quick update. This problem seems to be related to swf assets which somehow don't purge properly from RAM. I've re-created this project using uncompressed Quicktime assets and I no longer have a memory problem on Windows 7.
The swf assets problem originated for me with with Adobe Captivate, which apparently outputs only in that format. For me Captivate is underwhelming in a few other ways, so I've gone to Camtasia (v7), which puts out in many formats. Oddly enough Camtasia is a brilliant program of the sort I usually associate in my mind with Adobe. Captivate, on the other hand, is clunky, not very intuitive, and unless I'm missing something not really Adobe caliber.
I hope Adobe is not turning into Starbucks -- i.e. too big for quality control. I also just had a run-in with Adobe Reader X. Ouch!! Watch out for that one on Windows 7, at least in version 10.0.1