15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 11:58 AM by John T Smith

PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!

Ole Pa Level 1

Sigh... anyone creating DVD's using PE8 and HD video from a recent DSLR?  I tried it this weekend, and it's really ugly.

1.  Every time I try to open the transitions panel PE8 crashes.  End of editing session w/o any recovery of work in progress.  And it get worse.

2.  I did my video without transitions, then went to Share to create a DVD.  Blue screen of death.  Page fault in non-paged area or some such nonsense.  I repeated this 3 times, thinking it must be a timing thing.  And it gets worse.

3.  I decided not to make a DVD, just an online video. PE8 now eports my project can not be opened.  It's damaged.  All those hours of editing wasted.

This is pretty bad.  Is anyone using Premier Elements to edit video from an HD camera? If anyone is doinf this, I'd love to know how to work around what appears to be killer bugs in PE8.

I'm using a Nikon D7000.  I've made a lots of video using PE4, 6, & 8, using still images and standard digital video, and mostly it worked OK.  This experience is so bad that I'm wondering if I'll need to switch to Apple's products to do HD video.

• 1. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

A BSOD is mot often a hardware issue. The next most common cause is a bad driver, that kills the OS.

This ARTICLE will give you some background, and some tips, plus links to tools to check things out.

A BSOD is a serious matter, and I would address that, before even trying to look at PrE issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
            Ole Pa Level 1

Hi Bill Hunt -- Thanks for your quick response, and yes a BSOD is a serious matter.  It may just coincidence, but it's only happened when I try to make a DVD with PE8 however.  When I clicked on the link in your reply, I see the following

AdobeForum.jpg

Is there an updated link that you can give me?

• 3. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

That error is likely due to the Adobe Fourm servers being down. I just clicked on the link and it worked fine for me. Just in case it's a browser error (do not think so, as you got the Adobe error message), here is the link: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/772169?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - The operation of burning a DVD, or folder is an intensive process, and taxes the computer, like few other processes. Heat buildup, or stressed weak RAM are the two main culprits here, though not the ONLY ones.

• 4. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
                Ole Pa Level 1

Hello again Bill Hunt,

I've put several more hours into diagnosing this problem and I'm convinced this is a bug in PE8.  Here is why I think this is the case:

1. I've run all of the Dell hardware diagnostics and no errors are found.
                2. I've run the Microsoft Windows 7 memory tests and no errors are found
                3. I've run the Microsoft Windows 7 chkdsk on all 3 spindles (4.5 TB in all).  No bad sectors.
                4. I've check for updates on all of my drivers.  All are up to date.

When I run PE8 on any project other that the problem project, everything works fine.  When I run PE8 on the problem project:

• When I click on the Share tab, then the Disk option, I get rhe BSOD immediately, and every time.  No time is spent doing the rendering.

If I select the Mobile Phones and Players option (instead of Disk) on the Share tab in the problem project, everything is fine and I can create an H.264 MP4 file.

So the problem is reproducable and data dependent.  PE8 works with other projects and with the problem project if I avoid the Share/Disk option.  The problem project is unique in my usage in that the video comes from my Nikon D7000, which shoots HD video.  Even with this source video, I was able to cut a disk on an early version of the project.  It was only after refining the project that I'm unable to create a DVD rendering of the project.

I've been doing computer software for 44 years, and this really looks like a software bug.  It's as if PE8 is making a system call with a bogus argument, and Windows 7 is not sanity checking that argument properly, and crashing with a BSOD.  Perhaps PE8 is trying to allocate an immense scratch disk or a zillion bytes of memory or to check for blank media or soemthing to fill-out the panel that would show the options to render a Disk image of the project.

The details of my system are:

• Dell Studio XPS 435T
                • Intel i7 CPU 975 @ 3.33 GHz  (64-bit)
                • 12 GB RAM
                • WIndows 7 Ultimate, service pack 1
                • 3 disks each 1.5 TB.

I'm really out of ideas on how I can get more insight into this problem.  I do not want to give up on Adobe Premiere, but I don't know how to get around this bug.  Please help!

-- Thanks, Ole Pa

• 5. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When you looked at your Event Viewer, for the time of the BSOD, what were the warning and error messages? Did any have any links? If so, what did they say?

With a BSOD, there must be some warning and error messages, and if we get lucky, there will be some links that will at least point us to the culprit. If there is no heat, PSU, RAM issue, then a bad driver, conflicting with the OS is culprit # 2.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if nothing helps, be sure to see The Case of The Unexplained. Lot of great info in there.

• 6. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
                    nealeh Level 5

Usually a BSOD shows the module that crashed it and an error code towards the bottom. What do they both say?

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
                      Ole Pa Level 1

Hello Bill and Neale -- Thanks for your replies.  I just booted up my PC and reproduced the BSOD as described in my last post.  When I look at the Windows event log, I see two error log entries near the time of the BSOD.  One is a Critical Error saying the, "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."   I also see an Error (not critical) saying, "Session "ReadyBoot" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188".   In addition there is a Warning from yesterday saying, "The maximum file size for session "ReadyBoot" has been reached. As a result, events might be lost (not logged) to file "C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot\ReadyBoot.etl". The maximum files size is currently set to 20971520 bytes.".  I took a snapshot (literally, with a DSLR) of the blue screen.  I've attached that photo, but I see no module name on that screeen.

What can I do to get more insight into this problem? I found the minidump file in the c:\windows\minidump directory.  Is there more info in there that would help diagnose the problem?

-- Thanks for your help, Ole Pa

BSOD.jpg

• 8. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
                        Ole Pa Level 1

This is a follow-up to my last post.  I just installed and ran BlueScreenView.exe to display the minidump file from the BSOD crashes.  I've attached the screen snapshot of the tool below.  As you can see there are several BSOD dumps from my many reproductions of the bug.  I think the kernel module offset would be the same in all of them if I had not installed Windows 7 updates in the past couple of days (in fact I think I install a large service pack 1 update yesterday).  It appears the crash is always reported in the Ntfs.sys module, but since this is a page fault error maybe this is not a surprise?  I don not know if the call stack is viewable in the minidump.   If there is anything else that I can do to provide insight into this bug, please let me know.

-- Thanks, Ole Pa

BlueScreenView.jpg

• 9. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
                          nealeh Level 5

I would investigate the ReadyBoot error (note this is NOT the same as ReadyBoost). There is a link here How-to-disable-Readyboot-in-Windows-7 but I think you may be better off getting an IT tech to look into it. If you do attempt to try it then make absolutely certain that you have a recent backup and create a System Restore point before changing anything.

Here is a Google search: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=readyboot

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
                            Ole Pa Level 1

Hi Neale,

I really do need your help, but you need to accept responsibility for bugs in your programs.  You are suggesting that an error that occurred on 4/27 caused the BSOD crashes that your Premiere Elements 8 (PE8) program has been causing since 4/17.  Attached are screen snapshots from the Window event log and the BlueScreenView programs to document these dates.

BSOD.jpg    EventLog.4.27.2011.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the ReadyBoot error was caused by a Windows update that failed to install.  I have since successfully installed that Windows update, and everything is fine; except for PE8.  I have already run 10 hours of hardware tests on my machine at your advisement, only to find my hardware is fine.

Please listen to me.  Adobe is a software company, and a darn good one.  BUT, Apple has just announced that Final Cut Pro X will sell for $299.  This will blow the doors off Adobe Premier.  The only thing you have going for you is that your program runs on Windows (not Mac);  except that IT DOES NOT WORK for HD video.  In my original post I explained this to you.  It not only crashes, it will Blue Screen the entire computer.  Adobe needs to accept responsibility for their software and FIX BUGS.  The first bug (the PE8 window minimizing permanately to the taskbar on start-up) I reported years ago to this forum, and the bug was not fixed for several releases, if it was ever fixed.  I've found a way to avoid that one, so I don't know if the bug is still there.

The clock is running for Adobe.  In June Final Cut X is released,  In September I talk to the largest organization of photographers in Westchester County NY about video editing programs.  I had planned on recommending Adobe Premiere.  But how can I do that if your program DOS NOT WORK for HD video?  It seems to work fine for SD video and for still images, but the future is HD video and we want to focus on creative video authoring, not running diagnostics on our PC that show everything is working fine, except for PE.

Perhaps Adobe has it's own testing procedures, and does not regard customer bug reports as useful?  There were a bunch of big companies in Detroit that did not listen to customers either.  They are not doing so well these days.  Don't follow their lead.  There are still a bunch of us on Windows that would rather not leave.  BUT we need software that works!   Please listen to us!

- Thanks, Ole Pa

• 11. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
                              nealeh Level 5

Ole Pa wrote:

I really do need your help, but you need to accept responsibility for bugs in your programs.

This is a user to user community forum. Although occasionally an Adobe employee might post most of us are just ordinary users trying to help out others with the software. For support from Adobe you should click their contact details at the top of the page. You can also submit information with the Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

For your presentation you should probably test the current version PRE9 (which does work with MAC). PRE8 was the 2009 release, the 2010 PRE9 fixed a lot of stability issues and added direct editing of AVCHD format.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
                                Ole Pa Level 1

Ni Neale,

Oops, I had mistakenly thought that Adobe was helping us here.  Thanks for your help and for your info.  It's really great to have an active user community.  Seems that Adobe would want to support this forum as a way to build relationship with its users, improve its products, and keep the brand strong.  Their Photoshop program appears to be solid, but I'm afraid they are not paying enough attention to Premiere.

I've submitted a post to the link you gave me (the wish list form).  I wish that Adobe would listen to us.

-- Thanks, Ole Pa

• 13. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The Adobe "presence" has increased on this forum, over the last year. There are several Adobe employees, who do drop by, though probably in their "free time." As Neale pointed out, the Bug Report is the best way to get Adobe's attention, as they DO take those very seriously. A thread might catch an Adobe employee's attention, it might not also. One also needs to remember that Adobe supports the current (PrE 9 now) release, though some of the employees might have experience with an older version, it would not be "official" now.

Good luck, and hope that the Bug Report will generate improvement with newer versions (PrE 10 in progress now), it is unlikely that there will be a patch for any earlier versions. Due to the short product run (approximately every 12 mos.), it is most likely that major fixes will find their way into newer versions.

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
                                    Ole Pa Level 1

THis is Ole Pa again reporting PROMBLEM SOLVED.  How?  I just purchased the upgrade to Premiere Elements version 10; and the same project without any changes to the project or to my computer now renders the DVD instead of taking down my PC with the Blue Screen of Death.  Adobe never helped me with this problem, or suggested that this may be a bug in their program. 

It's hard for me to undersatnd why Adobe will not let their paying customers help them find bugs in their products.  This would seem to be an example of where "crowdsourcing" could help them get better products without much cost to them.  Adobe users helping other Adobe users is a wonderful thing (and thanks to Adobe for providing a service that lets us do that), but as this case documents, Adobe users can't fix bugs in the Adobe code.  Only Adobe can do that, and if would listen to use we could help them do that.

I am very happy that version 10 fixed the bug that halted my project months ago; and I hope that someone in Adobe will consider monitoring these forums and letting users help Adobe to find and fix problems.

-- Thanks, Ole Pa

• 15. Re: PE8 crashes, blue screened, and trashed project!
                                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Adobe will not let their paying customers help them find bugs in their products 

They do... but, I of course have no idea what they DO with bug reports

Bug Report and Feature Request https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform