6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2011 6:00 AM by theiceage13

Blocky text & illustrator files

theiceage13 Level 1

Hi,

I opened up a project that I hadn't used for a couple of months and all of a sudden all my text layers and imported illustrator files appear blocky and in a bad quality. I rendered the project and in the resulting quicktime everything looks fine again. Seems to be a viewer problem in AE. I imported the .ai's again and also did some new text layers - everything works fine. Any ideas on this?

The first pic is a screenshot from my viewer, the second one of the quicktime.

Bildschirmfoto 2011-04-19 um 10.56.33.png

Bildschirmfoto 2011-04-19 um 10.58.12.png

Note: video footage is not affected by this!

• 1. Re: Blocky text & illustrator files
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My first guess is that your project is non-square pixels and you have pixel aspect ratio correction turned on in the composition panel. My second guess is that you have the composition panel set to half quality. A little more information about the project or a screenshot of your entire comp panel would be helpful.

• 2. Re: Blocky text & illustrator files
            theiceage13 Level 1

Hi Rick,

it's a 1080p project. Pixel Aspect correction is turned off (it doesn't have any use in a 1080p project anyway). My viewer quality is "Full". The funny thing is: when I'm using the same font again and type in the same text, the text looks alright. The same goes for illustrator files that I import again. The problem is just with text layers and files that were already in the project.

• 3. Re: Blocky text & illustrator files

If a new project looks fine when you use the same assets then there is some switch that's been thrown in your project. Make sure that all the composition settings are where they should be. Again, a screenshot of the entire project at full rez would help us catch the problem.

Another suggestion would be to start a new project, import this existing project, then open it up. That would clear all of the saved settings in the project and may reveal the problem.

• 4. Re: Blocky text & illustrator files
                theiceage13 Level 1

I can't post a full screenshot, because it's a current european tv commercial and I don't want to post it in public. Hope you understand.

I just tried to make a new project and import the old one into it - same bug.

Anyway - I just deleted all my stuff in the project and just left one old text layer in it. I could even change the font - it still looks blocky. Then I made a new text layer with the same font and attributes and put it beneath it. You can see the difference especially in the "X".

I uploaded the small test project for you: http://www.mediafire.com/?19qik5mwfq7hbx5

When you open the project - do both text layers look correct?

Bildschirmfoto 2011-04-19 um 14.24.34.png

• 5. Re: Blocky text & illustrator files

Your text layer is set to draft quality. It should have been my first guess.

quality.jpg

• 6. Re: Blocky text & illustrator files
                    theiceage13 Level 1

Rick,

thank you!

Funny thing is - I never changed that switch. Same goes for my illustrator-layers. Never touched that switch anytime. Confusing.

Anyway...thank you again for your time and effort!