13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2011 8:42 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Does the 10.0.2 update work?

pip * Level 1

I tried the update to 10.0.2 when it was released but the update failed to work.

Adobe Application Manager gave the following dialogue:

"Some updates failed to install. Update is not applicable".

Apple's Get Info for the application says version 1.0.1 and the Adobe about box says version 10.0.1.19

I ran "updates" from the After Effects help menu again this morning but the response is "no updates available"

I have the retail copy of CS5 and used the retail version of the update.

Pip

• 1. Re: Does the 10.0.2 update work?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As stated here, the update isn't available through the Help > Updates command yet. It's only available as a manual download.

• 2. Re: Does the 10.0.2 update work?
            pip * Level 1

With all due respect that document was written on the 8th and the last comment was on the 11th.

I first raised my questions about problems with the updater on the 12th and this is the first response I have had from anyone on your side of the fence.

Please read my post again and then answer the question.

Pip

• 3. Re: Does the 10.0.2 update work?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I read your post. You referred to using Help > Updates. That does not yet work.

• 4. Re: Does the 10.0.2 update work?
                pip * Level 1

Just to reiterate:

I tried the update to 10.0.2 when it was released using the 10.0.2 update from the link in your document but the update failed to work.

Adobe Application Manager gave the following dialogue:

"Some updates failed to install. Update is not applicable".

According to the Adobe After Effects CS5 about box my application is still at version 10.0.1.19

Maybe I should rephrase the question...

Do you think that the 10.0.2 update works?

• 5. Re: Does the 10.0.2 update work?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Do you think that the 10.0.2 update works?

Yes.

If it's not working for you, then you should wait for the update to be available through the automatic update mechanism and try that. That will be soon.

• 6. Re: Does the 10.0.2 update work?
                    Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The 10.0.2 update works perfectly for me using Mac OS 10.6.7, following the instructions provided by Todd.

While I admit it's odd that Adobe don't utilise their established update procedure and tools automatically and immediately, Todd's instructions are clear and worked just fine for me.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Does the 10.0.2 update work?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> While I admit it's odd that Adobe don't utilise their established update procedure and tools automatically and immediately...

We can put an update up on the website ourselves, but we need to coordinate with a different team to get it into the AAM update mechanism. That takes time. Normally, we wait to announce until all parts are done, but we thought that this update was critical enough that we'd get it out the manual way ASAP.

• 8. Re: Does the 10.0.2 update work?
                        pip * Level 1

Thanks Andrew, it wasn't that Todd's instructions were not clear it was more to do with the fact that the update failed to work and my application was stuck at 10.0.1
                        Now there are different updates for retail and download versions all I needed was some clarification that I wasn't using a dud update.

I'd been experiencing a whole heap of crashes since attempting  the update and wasn't sure if my application had become corrupted or it  was something to do with my workflow.

Unfortunately despite sending feedback and posting here it took nearly a week to get an answer.
                        I think that's pretty shoddy…

anyway, thank you Todd for confirming that the update should work.
                        I have just uninstalled, run the cleanuputility that Andrew recommended yesterday and reinstalled. From there I ran the 10.0.2 update and this time it worked.
                        Seems like the problem was moving from 10.0.1 to 10.0.2

Good to see that my plugins were left in place but once again I have to jump though hoops to get rid of Growl….

Pip

• 9. Re: Does the 10.0.2 update work?
                          Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Someone's going to say it, so it may as well be me...

This is a user-to-user group, not an official Adobe technical support outlet.  It is my understanding that Adobe people such as Todd contribute as part of an unofficial help policy, and we all appreciate the input.

So sorry if you think these very useful fora are shoddy and didn't meet your expectations!

• 10. Re: Does the 10.0.2 update work?
                            pip * Level 1

J-MS
                            Say what you've got to say, it's a user to user forum…

I recall that you used the premiere forum to shout for tech support back in September when CS5 updates failed to fix your workflow.
                            So it's OK for you but not for others….. Mmmmmm

Apologies to those who misinterpreted comments in my previous post.
                            I meant that Adobe's lack of response was shoddy not this forum and the knowledge of it's members.

As it turned out the problem was down CS5's incorrect folder permissions.
                            Of course that problem is well old so I can understand Adobe's reluctance to acknowledge it.

It was the transition to CS5 that didn't meet my expectations.
                            I would have thought that 9 months after it's release Adobe would have ironed out the problems.

Hopefully I'm back on track and would like the thank those members who took the time to offer something constructive.

Pip

• 11. Re: Does the 10.0.2 update work?
                              Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Incorrect.

I may have shouted FOR technical Support, but never AT it.

And I certainly have never criticised the quality of the support if it comes, or at its timing if it doesn't.

• 12. Re: Does the 10.0.2 update work?
                                AtonMusic Level 2

J-MS wrote:

Incorrect.

I may have shouted FOR technical Support, but never AT it.

And I certainly have never criticised the quality of the support if it comes, or at its timing if it doesn't.

this is just downright pathetic....

shouting iiiiis shouting and you (at least two posts back) do not condone shouting.

I think shouting is perfectly fine and I dont think OP was breaking no rules by stating what he did.

• 13. Re: Does the 10.0.2 update work?
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The After Effects CS5 (10.0.2) update is now available through the Help > Update method.