3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2011 12:28 PM by Colin Brougham

Premiere CS5 Batch Export and Sony PMW-EX1R

mattsphat

Hey Guys!

I have multiple sequences that I need to batch export, and was wondering if there's some kind of plugin that I can use in order to do so.

Normally, I would have to select each sequence, press Command M and place it into the render queue for Media Encoder. Is there a way I can do this by selecting a batch of sequences by highlighting them and send them into the Media Encoder's Render Queue at once, rather than individually?

Also, we film on a Sony XDCAM PMW-EX1R and need a workflow to help us out with compression.

We're working on MAC PRO's and so Media Encoder doesn't have a WMV compression setting for our computers, and the MOV settings give us weird bugs on our website. So to work around this we use Compressor to compress a raw file into various MOV and WMV movies and use Media Encoder to encode F4V files.

We export from Media Encoder in h.264 with a .mp4 extension to try and replicate what our camera shoots in, but I have a feeling that that might not be the correct format to do this in because Compressor gives us this weird Frame issue where it places a single random Frame at the very beginning of our video.

Is there a better export option for Sony XDCAM PMW-EX1R users that will give us a fairly small file size and also have great quality to match our original footage, as well as not having us have to wait long periods of time for export?

We've tried

Quicktime ProRes 422

Quicktime Uncompressed

Animation

Jpeg Sequence

And they all gave us extremely large file sizes (which I understood since they're lossless) and H.264 seemed to give us as big of a file size as FCP did with it's MOV files which is what we're trying to do.

• 1. Re: Premiere CS5 Batch Export and Sony PMW-EX1R
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          Is there a way I can do this by selecting a batch of sequences by highlighting them and send them into the Media Encoder's Render Queue at once, rather than individually?

Sort of. If you open up AME and go to File > Add Premiere Pro Sequence, you can select your project and then one or sequences in the project to add to the AME queue. The downside to this is that instead of using the sequence name to name the output file, it uses the project name and appends serial numbers to it--you'd have to rename each file then. It remains to be seen if the forthcoming CS5.5 release fixes this oversight.

In any event, you can select all the queued items and change their Format and Preset, or customize encoding parameters which will then be applied to all selected queued items.

Is there a better export option for Sony XDCAM PMW-EX1R users that will give us a fairly small file size and also have great quality to match our original footage, as well as not having us have to wait long periods of time for export?

As an intermediate? Not really--that's kind of the deal with intermediates. Typically, file size isn't as much of a concern there, because you're using that higher quality source file to generate your deliverables. You can make pretty good like H.264 files that are fairly small, but they won't be good source for generating other deliverable content. You sort have to pick one or the other

• 2. Re: Premiere CS5 Batch Export and Sony PMW-EX1R
            mattsphat Level 1

So you're saying that I basically have to pick either using a file that isn't good for delivering content, or selecting a file that's big in size and long to export?

Thanks for the AME advice! It's definitely a better solution than picking each individual sequence.

: /

• 3. Re: Premiere CS5 Batch Export and Sony PMW-EX1R
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              So you're saying that I basically have to pick either using a file that isn't good for delivering content, or selecting a file that's big in size and long to export?

Well, look at it this way: if you want the highest quality output, you want to start with the highest quality source. If you're exporting from Premiere or through AME to a deliverable file--like a WMV or an H.264 MP4--you're all set, because you're accessing the original source media and unrendered effects as they exist in the Premiere Pro sequence. If you're exporting from a different app, you want the most pristine source file to create your deliverable.

Let's say you make apple juice. If you get whole apples from the orchard and press them, you make some mighty delicious juice. However, if you're trying to cut down on shipping costs, and you have the farmer smash the apples into chunky apple sauce so that you can fit more apples in the same amount of space, you can still make juice... but it won't be quite as tasty It's sort of the same with encoding...

An intermediate file will take up more space, because it's uncompressed (or less compressed), but it shouldn't take as long to generate, either--again, because you're not compressing it or you're compressing it less than your final deliverable. Obviously, there are dozens of codecs you could potentially use, so there's a fair bit of experimentation you need to do to determine the best combination for your purposes. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to encoding, unfortunately; it's a path fraught with compromises.