Exit

HTML Code Display - Disappearing???

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2011 Apr 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(RH8, CHMs)

Hello,

Running into an issue, not sure how to fix this.

I am building a link to an external .htm file that will be included with our help CHMs. It's staying external because this allows us to update it at any time without having to update any CHM itself by re-importing and building. The html files are in the same folder as the help CHMs.

Normal hyperlinking doesn't seem to work - the CHM can't apparently see the content of topic, and may be running into an issue because it appears to be trying to open within the help screen rather than through a browser like IE or Firefox.

So I did some googling and found the following html code which works like a charm:

http://www.cybertext.com.au/tips_HTML_chm_external.htm

<OBJECT id=hhctrl
   type="application/x-oleobject"
   classid="clsid:adb880a6-d8ff-11cf-9377-00aa003b7a11"
   codebase="hhctrl.ocx#Version=4,73,8412,0"
   width=100
   height=100>
  <PARAM name="Command" value="ShortCut">
  <PARAM name="Font" value="Arial, 10pt">
  <PARAM name="Text" value="Text:Doc name">
  <PARAM name="Item1" value=",document.ext,">
</OBJECT>

The issue I'm running into is that this code doesn't display in RoboHelp itself. That is, if I view the topic in Design mode, the hyperlink text ("Doc name" in the example above) never shows. And if I go between design and html, or close and reopen, the code disappears in the HTML view as well. The code is still there - the links show up as designed (and work) whenever I compile the project. I just can't find a way of getting them to display in RH beyond staying in the HTML view for that topic after inserting the code.

Any ideas why this is happening, and what can be done?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think putting that code into a snippet will keep RH's grubby paws off it. Maybe. Worth a try...

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: It looks like it's not saving the code afterall. Not sure what I was seeing originally that made me think it was.

Also appears to not be saving anything I enter manually via the HTML view, including regular text.

Any ideas? I've tried using the normal save option and that doesn't seem to be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could try an iFrame. Much easier in RoboHelp 9 I believe but also available in RoboHelp 8.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp