19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2012 10:24 AM by the_wine_snob

Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?

fubar@hotmail.com

I'm merging two videos.

One person recorded the entire event from far away.  That is my video 1.  It is one single unbroken video.  The camera was NOT paused during recording.

Another person recorded parts from much closer.  This is video two.  These are closeups that I inserting over video 1.

I'm putting a clip in video two timeline, watching both side by side to make sure the audio and movements match, trimming each clip at same beginning and end points - and putting the video two clip into the video 1 timeline.

This was easy for the first 10 insertions as but suddenly Elements wants to break to the video 2 sections into several clips.  They're not.

Why was I able to move the first 10 video 2 clips from the organizer to the timeline just fine - each was entered as one continuous clip.   Now the clips are broken down further into sub-clips.  I'm NOT importing different clips and putting them together in timeline 2.  Each is one is a separate video.  Why is Adobe breaking them down further?

• 1. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clip?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on the type of camcorder your video came from and how you got it into your computer.

What model of camcorder is this video from? How did you get it into your computer?

How did you get it into your Premiere Elements project?

If you captured the video, did you have Break Scenes selected? If so, which Break Scenes option did you have selected?

• 2. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?
            fubar@hotmail.com Level 1

The first 10 or so times I did this the clips were inserted into the video 2 timeline as a single, continuous clip.

Now the clips, from the same camcorder, uploaded using the same method at the same time, are being broken down when they are dragged into the video 2 timeline.

All clips, the 10 that inserted into the timeline correctly, as well as those that breaking up, were uploaded from a Panasonic digital camcorder using a firewire cable and Microsoft Movie Maker.  The clips were created using MovieMaker and then each was saved as a separate mmv movie file.

Those mmv movie files were imported into Premiere using "get media" under "Organize".

I just tried to drag the main video into the video 3 timeline as an experiment and it too was broken into several clips.  This did not happen when I initially drug it into the video 1 timeline to begin this project.

• 3. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?

Are you saying you captured video from a miniDV camcorder? (Please answer my questions as specifically as possible or I won't be able to help you.)

If so, why did you export them from MovieMaker as mmv files?

The captured video would have been DV-AVIs, which would have worked perfectly in Premiere Elements.

In fact, why did you captured with Windows MovieMaker?

• 4. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?

Okay, after numerous random program crashes the above problem went away and did not come back with subsequent crashes.

Problem solved.

Why use Moviemaker?

- It is much simpler to use.

- It does not crash frequently.

- It creates simple videos just as well as elements.

Summary: Moviemaker is easier to use, more stable, but less functional (fewer bells and whistles).

Moviemaker can NOT be used with multiple video tracks.  If it had that capability I'd probably still be using it.

So now I have Premiere Elements 9.

Next problem.

So I've spliced together my two videos into one.

To do this I had to reduce the display size of each video in the viewer to 1/2 size so I could watch each simultaneously to sync them and to determine which video was better to use. I'd watch one version in the upper left had corner and the other in the lower right. 

By the way, it doesn't seem intelligent to have the multiple video tracks but make it so hard to display them side by side.

Now I'm on to creating the DVD menus.  The videos are still showing up at 1/2 size.

Will they show up that way on the DVD?  Do I need to go back and manually enlarge the hundreds of spliced clips to full size?  This would be difficult and time consuming. The fact that the videos enlarge from all sides makes it that much more difficult.  It would be nice if you could just shove it into one corner and pull it the the other corner.  Because it enlarges on all sides you have to center it tand then fiddle with it quite a bit to get it properly aligned on all four sides.  

• 5. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?

Yes, if you've resized your videos, they will show up in the final DVD at this size.

A better solution is Premiere Pro CS4/5. It includes a feature for viewing several camera angles at once so that you select which will be viewed at any given time.

You're trying to do some pretty high level things with Premiere Elements. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to do it in this consumer program.

• 6. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve. Multi-camera editing is a complicated process in PrE, but can be done. PrPro has full Multi-cam editing, in a dual Project Monitor Panel, for easy syncing of up to four Video streams. One can also establish one camera's Audio as the "master," and then Cut the other three cameras to that. If I were doing Multi-cam editing, the price differential would be worth the price, just in time saved. Along the way, there are many extra features in PrPro, that would "come along for the ride." For me, the biggest additional plus would be the use of Sequences (think mini-Project in one big Project).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?

Thank you very much for your help through this ordeal.

So just resizing the display in the viewing window resizes the final product.  Is there anyway to have the software "resize all video clips to full screen" ?

If so, what's the purpose of having multiple video tracks if not for splicing together different camera angles?

What I'm hearing is that Premiere Elements is not much better than Moviemaker.  More bells and whistles, but not more functionality.  Don't I feel stupid for thinking differently.

I'm just a PTSA parent splicing together a talent show video to sell as a PTSA fundraiser.  I've used Moviemaker to make hundreds of videos of my kids and family events, and even several different youth sports highlight videos (highlights from an entire season).  I've always made the videos in Moviemaker and burned the DVDs with Elements 2.  This is the first time I've had two camera angles of the the same event to work with so this is the first time I tried using Elements to make the video.

Adobe CS5 is $600 at Amazon.com.  That's quite a splurge for a hobby.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=adobe+pr emiere

What is the oldest/cheapest version of Premiere Pro that will allow me to easily splice together different camera angles into one video?

Now that I've asked three different questions in this thread, how do I give credit for all of them?  (<= Oops, now it's four questions.)

Thanks again for all your help and assistance on this.

• 8. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The multiple Video Tracks have many uses. As each Clip, on higher Video Tracks will override anything below, there are basically two ways to "see through" the upper Clips: One can alter the Opacity of the upper Clips, to see through them, or they can "punch holes" in those upper Clips, and that can be with Scale, creating a PiP, or by either having Transparency in the upper Clips with an Alpha Channel, or by limiting what is seen of those upper Clips with something like Track Matte Keying.

Now, where PrE is limited is that it does not offer a dual-Program Monitor to see the Video Tracks as individual and separate elements. That is where Multi-cam in PrPro comes in.

For doing the equivilent of Multi-cam, I would either do, as you have done, and make the Clip on the upper Video Track smaller, to initially see "around" it, or by altering its Opacity to "see through" it. When one has then positioned, what will be the Cut-Aways on the second camera, and Trimmed that/those Clip(s), the Opacity, or Scale can then be adjusted back to 100% Opacity, or 100% Scale. Where your output did not work, was not going back and making the adjustment.

Given that you used Scale, the easiest way to quickly and easily get back to the where you started, would be to go to the first Scaled Clip, adjust the Motion>Scale to 100%, or whaterver you need, then Rt-click on that first Clip, choosing Copy. Now, Select every other Clip, that you wish to re-adjust, Rt-click on them, and Choose Paste Attributes. This will set that Motion>Scale back to 100%. There are several ways to Select all afftected Clips, and one of the easiest is to just click-drag with the cursor to "lasso" all Clips that you wish to re-adjust.

I certainly understand the price difference between PrE and PrPro, as I just upgraded my Production Studio to CS5 Master Collection. In my case, I already had PrPro (and other programs in the suite), so it was not THAT painful, plus I have plenty of uses for the more full-featured programs. I do not do that much Multi-cam, but when I do, PrPro makes it quite easy. For a hobbist, your workflow, with but one more step, the re-adjustment of Scale to 100% is just fine. The biggest limitation with that method is that you are looking at smaller Frames for you two cameras' Clips, in one Program Monitor, but seem to have gotten around that nicely. As my PrE is on a 17" laptop, I am a bit limited in how large I can stretch my Program Monitor, so I am looking at smaller images of my Clips. Still, it's very doable. Just add that one last step, and all will be great. Also note: though you altered the Scale to see "around" the Clips, you have NOT actually done anything to your original footage. It is still sitting at 100% on your HDD. You have ONLY temporarily written a set of instructions, telling PrE how to output that data. By re-adjusting the Scale, you have effectively just erased those instructions, so not degrading of quality will occur.

All you have to do is make one re-adjustment, Copy that, then Select the rest of the Clips, and en masse Paste Attributes to erase those instructions.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?

I've looked everywhere and can't find any place to "adjust the Motion>Scale to 100%".

*sigh*

• 10. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Rt-click on the Program Monitor in PrE, and then choose Magnification>100%.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?

Clicking back and forth between Magnification>100% and Magnification>fit just adds or removes a the gray border.  It does nothing to resize the video.

On the bright side, I found a place to download Moviemaker 2.6.  Adobe Premiere Elements is like putting a jet engine on your computer ... a really cool feature but not really functional or usuable for anything.

• 12. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry that it did not work out for you. Many satisfied users would disagree, as they have done some great work with PrE, since its release.

If WMM works for you, I would definitely use that. An NLE program is but a tool to create videos.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

fubar

I am not over this way too often and perhaps I have gotten into your thread too late and have not read it fully enough. But in browsing through it I picked up on some of your questions and will comment on them just in case the following have not been mentioned in this thread yet.

If you want to scale a clip, you can highlight the clip and go to its Properties Palette. That Properties Palette can be gotten to via the Properties Icon above the Timeline or via Window Menu/Properties. In the Motion Panel of the Properties Panel, you will find included the Scale and Position properties which you can use for the whole clip or for keyframing those properties across the whole clip. Uncheck "Uniform Scale" if you want to adjust the Scale Width separate from the Scale Height.

When you say that your clips are splitting...

a. If you have the AutoAnalzyer feature on, this is one of its pitfalls. Are you working with the AutoAnalzyer features on or off? You can shut off that option in the Elements Organizer. In Premiere Elements 9, Elements Organizer/Edit Menu/Preferences/Media-Analysis

b. Clips can also break up when you are placing additional clips to the Timeline. Holding down modifier key such as the ALT key during the placement can minimize this type of break up. Gaps and fragments created by these break ups are a time consuming undesirable task.

ATR

• 14. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?
                                    Sugeos

A.T. Romano ... I am a relative newbie to video editing with Premier Elements.  I am having the problem mentioned above - my clips all split into fragments.  For example, a 60 second clip has become a 1, a 22, a 30, and a 7.  You said above that Auto Analyzer may be doing this.  When I go into preferences, do I uncheck ALL of the boxes?  Secondly, how can I repair the ones that have already split - or do I need to delete them and re-upload them after I turn off the AutoAnalyzer?

Thank you for any help!!

• 15. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Surgeos

I have found no way to reverse the splitting of the clips and their stacking after the AutoAnalzyer spots them and does it work on them. So, I suspect it is delete the stack  and reimport the clips with ALL the Elements Organizer AutoAnalzyer options in preferences turned off.

To be more specific...

Version 9 and higher

Elements Organizer, Edit Menu, Preferences, Media-Analysis

leave every check box for People Recognition AND AutoAnalyzer Options unchecked.

(I have never taken the time to look at any contribution to problems with People Recognition alone active. I do not need it and prefer not to bother with it.)

Version 8 and earlier

Elements Organizer, Edit Menu, Preferences, AutoAnalayzer Options

leave every check box unchecked.

There used to be a Premiere Elements feature which allowed you to split clips once they were imported into Project media section: right click file in Project media, select Scene Detect, and you would get your video clips split into clips according to the clip's content because that was what you wanted. I believe that feature disappeared after Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

ATR

• 16. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?
                                        nealeh Level 5

Sugeos wrote:

For example, a 60 second clip has become a 1, a 22, a 30, and a 7.

While it may be annoying, does it really matter? You still have the same 60 seconds on the timeline.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 17. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale is correct here. Those "Clips" are but references. One should be able to drag the first one to the Timeline, and then Click+drag on its Tail, to extend it for the full Duration. Does that not work?

If it does not, then Selecting all parts (those that were split), and dragging them to the Timeline will get all of that material onto the Timeline. The "cuts" will be meaningless, as they just reference to the original AV files.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Sugeos

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your questions on unwanted Premiere Elements AutoAnalyzer induced video split clipping/stacking. They matter to me in that I do not want to be bothered reconstructing clips that I did not request deconstructed in the first place. All sorts of reasons to go along with that acknowledged annoyance. But, bottom line is go with whatever works for you in developing your Premiere Elements style of workflow.

In Bill Hunt’s response, he brings up some valuable concepts which I would like to elaborate on for your consideration.

It is a well-established Premiere Elements fact that if you have whole video ABC and you split that into clips A + B + C with

(a) In Out points in Preview Window

or

(b) Split Clip Tool (Scissors Icon) below the Timeline

or

(c) Auto-Analyzer Run

that the split clips A, B, and C  on the Timeline can each be drawn out to recover the whole video, using the Selection Tool, not Time Stretch Tool which would affect the motion of that one clip and not extend it to the original ABC.

So in your case, you could have taken each of your 4 unwanted video split clips that were in the stack, dragged each to the Timeline, and dragged each out on the Timeline with the Selection Tool to have 4 whole clips on the Timeline (quadruplets). The parts that had been trimmed out of each of the 4 were still there but not seen and, as Bill Hunt points out, referenced back to the original video. This becomes an important concept when one is dealing with video transition placement and trimmed vs untrimmed clips and handles. Another topic for another time.  And, to complete this phase of the discussion, you do not have to drag the split clips to the Timeline individually. You can drag the stack to the Timeline and end out with each split clip sitting side by side on the Timeline but with cut between the scenes split by content by the automatic AutoAnalzyer process. From my point of view, these clips are not meaningless in the sense that each is now a separate entity which can be moved independently of the other wanted or unwanted.

The above is my understanding and take on the matter. Therefore, I find that I cannot rationalize the routine use of the automatic Auto Analyzer as part of the Premiere Elements workflows as others might.

ATR

• 19. Re: Why is Premiere elements 9 turning my imported video into clips?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

that the split clips A, B, and C  on the Timeline can each be drawn out to recover the whole video, using the Selection Tool, not Time Stretch Tool which would affect the motion of that one clip and not extend it to the original ABC.

Good point. I have seen several users, invoke the incorrect Tool here.

Thank you for making that distinction.

Hunt

PS - having never used the Auto Analyzer, I have not encountered the problem, but think that Adobe could do a bit better job with it - however, I am not a coder, or an Adobe engineer, so maybe not?