10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2011 8:03 AM by Harm Millaard

Raptor 10,000rpm vs raid0

rsutter Level 1

Does anyone have an opinion which would be better for a production drive running CS5? I currently need to upgrade my single WD drive and want to better what I have...Should I put in a RAID0 with enterprise WD drives or a single Raptor 10,000

If I do choose 10,000rpm, is there a prefence beween WD or IBM?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Raptor 10,000rpm vs raid0
          RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, IBM no longer has a storage division at all. They've sold that entire division to Hitachi. And now, WD is buying Hitachi's storage division in a transaction that would be seeing Hitachi taking a minority share of WD's stock.

And yes, a RAID 0 will technically be faster (sequential-speed-wise) than any single drive (even a 15,000 RPM drive).

• 2. Re: Raptor 10,000rpm vs raid0
            rsutter Level 1

thanks! In the long run due to redundancy and safety, in your opinion, would a raid 3 or raid 5 be safer and more efficient compared to a raid 0?

• 3. Re: Raptor 10,000rpm vs raid0
              RjL190365 Level 4

It depends on which RAID controller you're going to use. If you're using a motherboard's onboard RAID controller, don't use RAID 5 since performance in that mode is extremely sluggish due to the multipurpose nature of the onboard ICH or PCH. The onboard RAID controller is really only good for RAID 0, 1 or 10. I confirmed my finding there when I ran the PPBM5 tests on my current i7-2600K system with the disks in both RAID 0 and in RAID 5 (using the onboard Intel P67 PCH SATA RAID controller). The AVI Disk I/O test times skyrocketed from a relatively brisk 64 seconds with a two-disk RAID 0 to a whopping 480+ seconds -- a nearly eight-fold increase -- with a four-disk RAID 5. So, my recommendation if you're going to stick with the onboard Intel ICH/PCH RAID is either two 2-disk RAID 0 arrays or one 4-disk RAID 10 array (remember that RAID 10 is a multi-level RAID, combining RAID 0 with RAID 1 in which a RAID 0 array is mirrored onto another RAID 0 array of the same size).

RAID 3, on the other hand, is exclusive to Areca RAID controller cards. If you're using a true hardware (not a cheap software-controlled) RAID card from any company including Areca, you can use RAID 5.

• 4. Re: Raptor 10,000rpm vs raid0
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It was not exactly clear to me, I understand you have a single drive now and want to upgrade. Just so completely understand I hope that you are thinking of adding to this system at least two more drives and keeping your OS and Applications on the current drive, is that correct?

Good advise from the others

• 5. Re: Raptor 10,000rpm vs raid0
                  rsutter Level 1

RJL...

Thank you for the time you took to answer this lingering question about HDs and Raid while using PPr efficiciently!

• 6. Re: Raptor 10,000rpm vs raid0
                    rsutter Level 1

Yes Bill,,,

yes Bill!

My plan is to reformat a WD Black for OS running Win7 Ultimate 64bit and then reload CS5 etc to that OS drive.

The I will get two WD Enterprise HDs and create a RAID 0 for production. I will have another WD Black and external eSATA for aditional storage and archive etc.

Does that sound ok???

• 7. Re: Raptor 10,000rpm vs raid0
                      rsutter Level 1

I actually have three drives, 1 for OS and two for production but I 'discovered' that they were all WD Green 1TB HDs which are not efficient.  This is why I want to change my interal configuration

• 8. Re: Raptor 10,000rpm vs raid0
                        RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, you do not want WD Enterprise drives for RAID 0: Since early last year, these drives have TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery) permanently enabled and permanently fixed at 7 seconds, with no way at all whatsoever to change it in firmware. That makes these drives suitable only for use in the "parity" RAID levels, such as RAID 3, 5 or 6 or a multilevel RAID involving one of those three. If a read or write error occurs with one of these drives, the drives will send a signal to recover duplicate data from one of the other drives after seven seconds. However, since there is absolutely no duplicate data in RAID 0, the data gets lost. That's because RAID 0 is not a true RAID - but is actually "AID" instead since there is no redundancy. Therefore, only conventional consumer desktop hard drives such as the WD Caviar Black and the Seagate Barracuda XT or 7200.12 should be used in RAID 0.

• 9. Re: Raptor 10,000rpm vs raid0
                          crmark Level 1

What do you think is the optimum RAID / HDD config that's also valuefor money.

Like 2 drives or 5 drives, what RPM, RAID config and RAID controller to give you the best speed with minimum hardwarde. Also which drive should be used for what (boot, scratchdisk, storage)?