20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 9:50 AM by Andrew Pernicano

Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling

mdubuque Level 1

Hello,

I'm a little concerned that this might be kind of a "How long is my piece of string?" type question, but here goes.

I just made a few edit, changing some colors in my credits sequence.

After moving my workspace bar to encompass the scope of the clip to be rendered, I chose render my work space and I got the error message below;

Screen shot 2011-04-19 at 7.33.04 PM.png

I know it's a bit much to ask members of this forum what this might be when Premiere Pro itself seems puzzled, but I thought it was worth a try....

thanks,

matt

• 1. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

Any chance that you have a gap in your Video Track in the Timeline. Those can throw similar errors, though usually with Export.

Just thinking here, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
            mdubuque Level 1

Hi Bill, I was just noodling with it, I've already exported a version and submitting it.  I thought of a few totally minor edits for subsequent film festivals and could not keep my hands off it.

But you know, it is on 4 separate video tracks because of the effects and all, but it really doesn't seem that this is a factor.

and i've positioned my little render bar nicely over just the portion to be rendered and that does not work either....

matt

• 3. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
              shooternz Level 6

I can see a gap in your screen grab.  Seems to coincide with the Red Bar as well.

• 4. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                mdubuque Level 1

Hi shooter nz, agreed, there is audio under that gap which does fill it and i successfully rendered the whole thing several times before with that gap in it.... i have tried rendering it using the work area bar to frame only the specific end title in question at the exact in and out points (i.e. without the gap) as well as the entire sequence, all without success, unlike before.

i've put the system and the programs through so much lately, i'm thinking a clean wipe and complete reinstall might be in order.....

for example i tried to use dynamic link to after effects earlier and it said i needed production suite pro to do so.

but that's exactly what i have and i have used dynamic link before and so i think something is very deeply and fundamentally not right and i'm lucky just to have my finished files rendered and stored and so maybe i should start all over from scratch, now that i've learned more about how to behave better w/respect to file management and the like.

matt

• 5. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

As Video is the main aspect in nearly every format, Audio does not cover a gap in the Video. As a test, create Transparent Video (New Icon), place it above all other Video Tracks, and extend it for the Duration of your Export/Render. Test.

If you have a gap in the Video, it should appear as black. Instead, and if that is what you want, just insert Black Video (New Icon).

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                    mdubuque Level 1

OK, thanks I will try that and I guess I should do that on all video tracks.

It did compile and render before completely without those place holders, but perhaps it caused errors in my transcoding that I am unaware of, so I will certainly do that and thank you for the thought!

I'll be attending to other non-film items today and so will get to this tomorrow.

thanks!

Matt

• 7. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Gaps are odd things. Sometimes, they cause zero issues, but sometimes, even a one Frame gap can bring a Project to its knees.

Now, to insure that gaps are not an issue, one only needs to make sure that all are either covered by Video (Audio does not matter), or are filled by Black Video. So long as there is Video in one of the tracks, there is no need to worry about any gaps in the Tracks below, or above - just so long as there is Video in one of them.

Good luck, and I hope that is the only issue, and that all goes well.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                        mdubuque Level 1

filled in all the gaps last nite with black video, same issue.   hmmmm

These "unknown error" messages are so hard to troubleshoot....

• 9. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                          jeremy d. Level 3

What is that white thing at the head of the Closing Credits track item? Is that what the first frame looks like?

edit:

Filling the gaps didn't work, so I have two other things to try: throw some transparent video on the next track up from the problem area, or use part of an actual clip, and render just that section.

more: What formats are you using for media and sequence?

...and: try rendering the sections before and after the problem area, using the WAB.

• 10. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                            mdubuque Level 1

Hi Jeremy, that white thing that we see in my screen shot is the "before" picture that prompted the recommendation that I fill in all blank spaces.

I followed that recommendation, to no avail.

I will try rendering the areas immediately prior and adjacent to the single unrendered clip.

thanks,

matt

• 11. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                              jeremy d. Level 3
                              ...that white thing that we see in my screen shot is the 
                              "before" picture that prompted the recommendation that I fill in all 
                              blank spaces.

Oh, that's the gap. I thought we were talking about the big one before it. That doesn't look like a gap to me, but maybe the screen shot isn't zoomed in enough for me to see it. It looks like a sliver of the thumbnail that would normally be at the head of that clip.

I'll wait to hear what happens after you fiddle around more.

• 12. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried exporting with a different name?

• 13. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                                  jeremy d. Level 3

...are we talking about rendering or exporting? I thought this was about rendering.

• 15. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ah sorry, never seen this in rendering the timeline.

Did you trash your preview files before trying again.

• 16. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                                      mdubuque Level 1

hello, not sure how to trash my preview files.

when i confined my work area bar to a previously rendered green area of the timeline and tried to render that workspace, the movie played normally, as it should.

I wonder if the error message below that now recurs before I open this project is important?

is my documents folder in need of emptying perhaps?

Screen shot 2011-04-22 at 4.38.10 PM.png

sure appreciate the help here!

matt

• 17. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

not sure how to trash my preview files.

This is done by cleaning out the Media Cache of the Render files.

That error message is likely the Rosetta Stone. Some way, the write privledges of the Scratch Disks, where the Media Cache is located, have been lost. This is  something at the OS level, and I would go to Windows Explorer, choose the Drive (an also look at the Folder-level too), and Rt-click, then look at Properties. Something is wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                                          Butch2oc Level 1

I have had the compile error numerous times and also the scratch disk notification. I first thought it was "gaps" or similar but my latest thoughts are that there may be some confusion with regards to the type of media in project versus what render settings you have.

I have found that simply turning MPE to software will fix the issue and it would definately pay to delete your rendered previews before doing so.

(when you do this PP will ask if you want to delete previews) you can also delete previews from the menu bar.

Another fix for these quirky errors is to start a new project and then import the sequence into it.

I had a troublesome sequence that had these errors aswell as taking longer than normal to save and the above seems to solve a few things. In fact when prem does anything a bit strange or out of the ordinary I perform the above procedure, which is usually a fix, before waisting time trying to work the problems out.

Hope this helps

• 19. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                                            mdubuque Level 1

Thanks fellows!

Butch, exporting all to a new project really did the trick!  Not sure why though.

Bill, thanks also for the help!

I appreciate the Rosetta Stone tip.

Is that something I should continue to try to resolve, because it may bite me in the future?

Thanks!

Matt

• 20. Re: Receiving an "Unknown Error" while compiling
                                              Andrew Pernicano Level 1

In my case I had one clip (or rather its preview) that was causing this error, no gaps or other possible situations. I first stripped clip of all effects and dropped just the clip on another sequence for rendering to verify it was the clip, not cumbersome effects. Same error. Next I deleted all previews, dropped edl in new project and tried rendering. Same error. Nothing would fix the error UNTIL I switched to software mode and selected option to delete all previews. Solved.. but frustrating to deal with. Hope this doesn't arise often because software mode takes on average 4-5 times as long to render this way.