15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2011 2:00 PM by Jim_Simon

Exporting AVCHD

ROTIDE MLIF

Hello guys,

What is the best preset to export AVCHD too? Or is there a custom setup that works good?

I exported about 4 minutes of AVCHD to a .wmv file in the 1080p Anamorphic preset, and it looks good, but not near as good as the raw footage (resoltution-wise).

Got any tips?

Also, when exporting roughly 4.25 minutes of footage, it took my i7 processor about 1.25 hours to finish and was at about 80-91% load. Is that normal for such a small project?

All the help is appreciated!

• 1. Re: Exporting AVCHD
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

First we need to know what your input format is (for instance my AVCHD is not Anamorphic and is 1080i) and then what is your intended usage/format?

• 2. Re: Exporting AVCHD
            ROTIDE MLIF Level 1

Here's the input format:

• Video Format : AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC (H.264))
          • Video Mode : AVCHD: 1920 x 1080/ 60i (FX/FH); FX- 24Mbps, FH - 17Mbps; 1440x1080/60i HQ -9 Mbps
          • Video Resolution : 1920 x 1080 captured @ 30p (29.97p), recorded in AVCHD 60i (59.95i)
          •  

Intended usage: HD promotional videos and advertising (Social Media, not television).

When I get a blue ray burner for my PC, I am going to put a lot of this on a BR disk, but for now I would like to use a non-compressed video format for export.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Exporting AVCHD

Then you do not want Anamorphic as your preset.

• 4. Re: Exporting AVCHD
                ROTIDE MLIF Level 1

Then WHAT format do I use for export?

The input preset I used was AVHCD, 1080p, 29.97f/s, but when it comes to exporting, what should be the format for best resolution?

• 5. Re: Exporting AVCHD

I just reread and am confused

"AVCHD: 1920 x 1080/ 60i (FX/FH); FX- 24Mbps, FH - 17Mbps; 1440x1080/60i HQ -9 Mbps"

What do you have in the timeline?  You are listing three different fromats in that statement.

What do you mean by input preset?  Preset to what?  Is this what you used to open the project?  Or is this the preset that you have selected for the output you are trying to export?

Why 1080p? Blu-ray is 1080i There is no 1080p 29.97 export setting.

• 6. Re: Exporting AVCHD
                    ROTIDE MLIF Level 1

I have AVCHD 1080 in my timeline.

Sorry for the confusion, i pulled the formats off the camera specs we used for this project.

Input preset:

When you start a new sequence, you are required to select what kind of preset format you'll be using (AVCHD 29.97, AVCHD 24p, 5D, etc)

Export preset:

What I still can't seem to get an answer on.

To keep it simple: I am using raw 1080, AVCHD for my project.

What format will have the highest resolution, with the exception of blue ray-I want to have a non-compressed file on my PC as well.

Or does everyone just export to blue ray?

• 7. Re: Exporting AVCHD
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

It's actually called a Sequence Preset, not an Input Preset.

For multi-use export, I'd recommend a Microsoft AVI using either the Lagarith or UT codecs.  That will keep all the original quality without degrading it further.  Using that file, you can then create other, compressed versions for the web or Blu-ray disk.

• 8. Re: Exporting AVCHD

Well again from your camera specs apparently you can have 1920 x 1080 or 1440 x 1080.  Lets assume that your video that you imported is the higher resolution square pixel 1920 x 1080 (24 Mbps) variety.  Incidently, any AVCHD is compressed with H.264 compression.  If you just want to save a file for archiving for future use,  Go to Project select Project Manager and make your archiving choices.  This way you avoid any new export compression.

Jim, I was thinking Lagarith but could not find a references to HD, does it work with HD?

• 9. Re: Exporting AVCHD
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

It is my understanding that both Lagarith and UT can do HD.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Exporting AVCHD
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Hunt, is right.  UT seems to play nicer inside of Premiere Pro, but both are capable of any resolution/frame rate.

• 11. Re: Exporting AVCHD
                              jefbak Level 1

In the export media encoder screen, choose the new Match Sequence Settings checkbox and you will get a very high quality mpeg file that should match your original.

I should add that for me (on a Mac) the exported file only plays when imported back into Premiere or in VLC media player. Quicktime and MPEG Streamclip fail to play the exported file from this template.

• 12. Re: Exporting AVCHD
                                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use a preset or set everything manually.

Don't use Match Sequence Settings it does not give you max quality.

• 13. Re: Exporting AVCHD
                                  jefbak Level 1

The Match Sequence setting output bitrate in my AVCHD tests was about 14 mbits/sec. How is that not Max (enough) quality for most users? I do use manual settings for other uses such as master files for web distribution or quicktime animation for further processing in AE (if I am not using dynamic link). But for an archival copy of a AVCHD project, the Match Sequence seems like a good bet.

• 14. Re: Exporting AVCHD
                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                    The Match Sequence setting output bitrate in my AVCHD tests was about 14 mbits/sec

For archival or intermediate I-frame only MPEG 2 video files at HD frame sizes, I use 100 Mbits/sec.  No contest in quality compared to the I-frame only MPEG 2 video that's used for preview.

-Jeff

• 15. Re: Exporting AVCHD
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

How is that not Max (enough) quality for most users?

Because AVCHD is highly compressed.  You get artifacts and errors when you shoot the stuff.  You get even more when you export to that same format.  Each layer of compression adds artifacts and errors.

If you want to keep all the quality that is in the original (maximum), you need to export out a lossless version.  On Windows, that means Uncompressed, Lagarith or UT.