8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 7:49 AM by AroeiraVermelha

Icons generic since install of Adobe Reader X

palaceint

Hoping someone can help with this, as we are drawing a blank here.

Installed Adobe Reader X on to our systems via group policy.

Since doing so, most of our machines do not show the adobe icon, instead we get a generic windows logo, attached at the bottom of the post.  Adobe is associated and does work when you double click on the link.

So far we have -

Repackaged, removed and redeployed locally and via GPO making sure the option to "make adobe the default reader" is checked in the customisation wizard.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the full version locally

Rebuilt the thumbnails cache in Windows

Tried reinstalling Adobe 9 and upgrading from there

Set the file association to a different provider, and reset it back

Applied the latest adobe updates

Nothing has worked, and even in the file associations in the control panel, the entries for PDF's also show the image below next to them.

Any ideas?

adobe.png

• 1. Re: Icons generic since install of Adobe Reader X
          pwillener Level 8

I've never seen this one before, and frankly I have no idea what could be causing it.

What I would try if this were happening to me (and if the system is XP), run TweakUI, repair icons.  If this fixes the icon issue, find out what has changed on the system.

• 2. Re: Icons generic since install of Adobe Reader X
            palaceint Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your reply

System is mixed Windows Vista / 7 across a domain so we are not happy about having to install tweaking utilities on to the network to fix this.

All other windows icons appear OK.  It just appears to be the Adobe ones that are "Missing"

Whatever the fix, it needs to be able to be rolled out to multiple workstations.

• 3. Re: Icons generic since install of Adobe Reader X
              pwillener Level 8

What I meant is to do the tweaking on one test machine, to find out what changes (possibly a registry setting).

Once you know that, you may be able to roll out an easy solution.

• 4. Re: Icons generic since install of Adobe Reader X
                bbohio

I am having an identical issue. I have uninstalled Adobe reader 7.x and and rolled out Adobe Reader X using group policy. On both windows 7 and windows XP machines having issue with generic icon.

If i logon as local administrator the icons appear correctly!

Tried re-associating but doesn't work & tried reinstalling. It seems like my MST file is not being read maybe (i have pointed to it in the modifications tab under software installation).

Other weird thing is if i reload the package in the customizer most of my settings don't seem to be retained (one of whic that is not retained is the "Make reader the default PDF viewer).

Will probably try adobe reader 9.x install if this doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 5. Re: Icons generic since install of Adobe Reader X
                  ADynes Level 1

Exact same problem here with both a modified Adobe and a default Adobe.msi.  Icons are genaric for PDF files although if you double click them they open.  I'm going to download the 10.1.0.0 (currently have 10.0.1 deployed) and see if it makes a difference.  Otherwise I will either manually deploy Adbe or possible a registry hack to remap the correct icon.

-Allan

• 6. Re: Icons generic since install of Adobe Reader X
                    palaceint Level 1

The only way we managed to get round this was to uninstall it by GPO, then reinstall via logon script - don't waste your time with the repackaged group policy, it is frankly terrible!

• 7. Re: Icons generic since install of Adobe Reader X
                      bbohio Level 1

What fixed it for me was installing under computer configuration instead of user configuration in gp editor.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled.

Do agree group policy not worth it>would rather use psexec and kick them off (seems like gpo takes more bandwidth as well, on ones i did manually file copied in minutes where as gpo took forever to complete install)

Also transform file needs to be selected when creating software deployment package in gp editor. Forget exact place but selected advanced settings when doing new software package.

Hope that helps...

• 8. Re: Icons generic since install of Adobe Reader X
                        AroeiraVermelha

I had the same problem, which extended to other CS6 apoplications. Here is the solution that worked on my PC (Windows 7 x64)

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-rebuild-the-icon-cache-in-windows-vista/

Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database

1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.

2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.

3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.

4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.

5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)

6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK

7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
                        DEL IconCache.db /a
                        EXIT

8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)

9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.