4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2011 12:43 PM by the_wine_snob

CS5 Premiere Pro Open anything error.

WarrenCole1909

I'm having issues opening Priemire Pro projects of any type. 

I launch PP, it opens up and asks if I want to open an existing project, or start a new one.  Regardless of which I choose, it opens the home screen, loads timeline, sequence viewers, media library, and then gives me an error. 

"Sorry, a Serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Pro to shut down.  We will attempt to save your current project. "

I then have to shut down PP via Task Manager.  Attempting to reopen PP result in the same problem, but it pops up the dialog box asking if I want to try and recover a document"

We've got Roaming profiles enabled, so my My Documents and Desktop are redirected to a network share.  This only started happening AFTER I took the PC home to work on something over the weekend.  It worked fine at home, but then this error started coming up after I brought it back.  I have attempted to reinstall PP, but not all of CS5.

Thank you for your help.

In the CS3 folder I found a FAQ(is there one similar for CS5?) that asked for the following information.

1. Premiere Pro
        1. Version number  CS5.  Beyond that, I can't tell.
        2. Installation language   english
        3. Updates applied  Not sure
        4. Project/sequence settings  
      2. Operating System
        1. Name  Windows 7 64bit
        2. Update/patch level  Current as of today. 
        3. Installed language  English
        4. Display resolution and color depth.  2x 24inch  at 1920x1080  32bit color
      3. CPU type and speed   Dual Xeon e5620's at 2.40Ghz
      4. Amount of memory (RAM)  12GB Ram
      5. Video card 
        1. Manufacturer
        2. Model
        3. Driver version
      6. Number of monitors (displays) in use
      7. Audio card
        1. Manufacturer  Nvidia
        2. Model  Quadro FX1800
        3. Driver version  8.15.11.9038
      8. Each hard drive's capacity and space remaining
        1. Disk setup (partitions used, raid configuration, what is where for OS/projects/media/scratch/audio)
            1. Dual 1TB drives in Raid 0.  Second HD where projects are stored.(scratch?)

Below shouldn't matter, as it happens even before I attempt to import video in new Projects.

1. Hardware capture device
        • 1. Re: CS5 Premiere Pro Open anything error.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Have you updated CS5? Look in Help>About, if you can get the program to open.

What happens if you do not redirect to a networked drive?

Have you updated both your video and audio drivers to the very latest version? Do not trust any utility to tell you, if you have the latest, which for Win7-64 seems to be 270.61 VHQL, which is dated 04/19/2011. Are you on Win7-64? Do check for an audio driver update, while you are at it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: CS5 Premiere Pro Open anything error.
            WarrenCole1909 Level 1

Have you updated CS5? Look in  Help>About, if you can get the program to open.

I can't get it to open to check.  I was hoping there was a (normally annoying) external app that would check for me.

What  happens if you do not redirect to a networked drive?

I haven't attempted to login as a local admin on the machine yet, but I can.

I'm thinking this is somehow about the redirection, but I can't figure out what might have broken when he took this home and brought it back.

Have  you updated both your video and audio drivers to the very latest  version? Do not trust any utility to tell you, if you have the latest,  which for Win7-64 seems to be 270.61 VHQL, which is dated 04/19/2011.  Are you on Win7-64? Do check for an audio driver update, while you are  at it.

I'll pull the latest video drivers, and the Audio Drivers are up to date.

Also, to note this:

UserFolder>Documents>Adobe>AdobeProductName (like Premiere  Pro)  Inside of this, there is a folder with a number (usually 4.0 for  CS4).  Take that to the trash and restart your application.

Results in a white screen and a frozen program.  I've left that sit for ~10 minuites in the hope it would open, but it doesn't.

Also, I'll note I'm the Systems Admin, reporting and asking this for our graphic design guy.
            (yay one-man IT)
            • 3. Re: CS5 Premiere Pro Open anything error.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Two things to try immediately:

• Rt-click on the PrPro icon, and choose Run as Administrator. Test.
              • When you go to launch PrPro, hold down the Alt+Ctrl+Shift keys, until the full Splash Screen has run, and you get the Project dialog screen, to reset your Prefs. One can also Rename their PrPro Preferences file, and PrPro will recreate it, upon launch. Test.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Edited typo

• 4. Re: CS5 Premiere Pro Open anything error.
                WarrenCole1909 Level 1

Ive tried both.  I can't seem to click on the icon for it(start menu, desktop, task bar) with the ALT down, so I click

icon to start, then hold down ALT, already having the others down.   I've manually tried this, as shown above(yes?)

Run as admin doesn't work either.