11 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2011 3:47 PM by editted

No sound on new install

editted

I just installed CS5 on a brand new PC and I was using CS3 on my old computer.  For some reason I am not getting any sound out of speakers or headphones when I play from the timeline.  And Yes, I do have a waveform on the timeline so it is  conformed.  My sound plays just fine when I am outside PP, for example, using Explorer I can play an audio clip using media player.  I have gone into Preferences and tried to change the options but it didn't seem to matter or make any difference.  What am I missing?

Ted

Maybe I should add that the video/audio file on the tl is DV from my Sony vx2000.  Also, I'll add that the VU is bouncing around and shows that there is plenty of audio.

One more thing, I am using the Matrox MX02 Mini with Max.

• 1. Re: No sound on new install
          editted Level 1

I just created a new project with std DV Widescreen settings and then imported an mp3 file and it plays correctly from the tl.  I will just start from scratch and begin a new project and then reimport the video clips and see if that works.  I problem has to be in my settings.

• 2. Re: No sound on new install
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Though you seem to have gotten things sorted out (at least I'm hoping that you have), take a look at this ARTICLE, as there are many places to setup sound.

On a slightly related sidenote, you might want to look at this ARTICLE for using MP3's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: No sound on new install
              editted Level 1

Bill, I haven't read the article yet but I want to give a little update.

I thought I had the problem figured out as I manged to get a test project to work perfectly even using the same files that would not work before.  The Matrox may have something to do with it.  I started a new project ignoring the Matrox in the opening sequence set-up (left it plugged in though).  The audio played just fine.  I tried it again in another new project and named the project after the wedding that I'm working on.  It failed to work (audio).  I did it 3 times, each time the project labeled test worked but when I tried to label a project as wedding it didn't work.  I know this sounds crazy but that's what was going on.  Finally it hit me that the matrox uses HDMI output for sound so I hooked up the HDMI cable to an HD TV and viola, the sounds works but the sound was now coming out my computer speakers as well as the TV speakers. I unhooked the HDMI cable and the audio still comes out my computer speakers.  I really don't get it!!!!

Not done yet.

Next, I started a totally new project, thinking that all was well, and named it after the real wedding project and did use the Matrox setting in the start-up window.  Once again, I have no sound.

Matter of fact, none of them work now.  This is bizzar, I am very disapointed in the Matrox MX02 MIni at least to this point.

Ted

• 4. Re: No sound on new install
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

Matrox cards have contributed to many Audio issues. During the run of CS4, Matrox was behind in their drivers, and everyone was getting major OOS issues.

If possible, and you need the Matrox, then I would look for updated drivers for your PrPro version, and hope that they will fix everything.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: No sound on new install
                  editted Level 1

Ok, I just read the article you referred to.  mp3 has nothing to do with my problem.  I only mentioned it before because I just tried it to see if I could get some sound, any sound out of the PP timeline.  It worked fine.  All the files I'm having trouble with are straight from my vx2000 and pd150.  They are both 48000 at 16bit, standard dv.

• 6. Re: No sound on new install
                    editted Level 1

Bill, I wish I would have known that before I spent $850 for it.

• 7. Re: No sound on new install
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

I agree that it's not part of the problem, and that is why I mentioned it as a "side note." That was just for future reference, since you had mentioned MP3's in your test.

Good luck, and sorry for any confusion,

Hunt

• 8. Re: No sound on new install
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill, I wish I would have known that before I spent $850 for it.

Ted,

Do you mean that because some MP3's can cause issues, you wish that you had not bought PrPro?

Actually, many of the problems that PrPro sees in some MP3's, cause other programs problems, as well. Adobe Audition also has issues with some, and it is not just programs from Adobe, that can have issues.

Interestingly, the great little free audio-editor, Audacity, seems to handle even the problem MP3's in stride, and can output PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, that play great in PrPro, when all of its settings/Preferences are correct, plus those in the OS and on the computer.

Did that first article offer any help for the general Audio issues?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: No sound on new install
                          editted Level 1

No, no, no.  Typing an answer or a  comment can sure get misunderstood on a forum.  I wish we could just talk face to face instead.  NO, what I mean is that I wish I would have known about the issues with Matrox and PP before I spent the $850 for the Matrox.  I am totally happy (so far) with CS5 but not with the Matrox.  I love it!  As far as mp3, just forget I even mentioned it because it has nothing to do with the problem.  I am right now able to edit the problemmatic wedding project with sound included.  It is  working fine because the sequence setting does not include the Matrox settings.  I guess anyway.  I'm not sure of anything anymore but at least its working.

Matrox advertises full compatability with CS5 Premiere Pro but I am not getting it.  I will be going on their forum to see what they have to say about it but last night I was too upset, frustrated and tired to do it.  And als, I was trying to work on the wedding project and didn'[t want to take time away from that.

May I add here that I was also able to import and use AVCHD footage on the timeline right along with the standard dv footage.  I just had to resize the HD footage to fit properly.  It played just a smoothly as the dv footage.  I did a simple dissolve just to see if it worked and it did.  I was absolutely happy!

I guess my biggest disapointment was not getting any documentation or manuals with CS5 because I got the education version.  Had I known that beforehand I would have paid the extra money and got one with the manuals.  I want to see if I can buy them separately.

I thank you for your replies and insight,

Ted

As a sidenote I use Sound Forge to convert mp3 to 48000 16-bit whenever I have to.  I do not normally import any sound into PP that is not 48000 16-bit.

• 10. Re: No sound on new install
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

editted wrote:

No, no, no.  Typing an answer or a  comment can sure get misunderstood on a forum

When you reply, you may click the QUOTE icon which is like a "cartoon speech balloon" with a quote mark " on the right side

You may then edit inside the quote box to remove what you don't want... like I did above... and do your typing below the quote box

Works very well to let people know what you are writing about when you make a reply

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: No sound on new install
                              editted Level 1

Update. I now have sound, it was a setting.  Don't ask me where because I've changed so many things that I'm not sure.  One thing is that after making 'some' changes in setting you may have to totally restart Premiere for them to take effect.  It think that was one thing that caused my confusion because I would change a setting but it would have no effect because I wasn't restarting Premiere.  At this point, I believe the Matrox MX02 Mini is working as advertised so disregard some of comments I made earlier because of my frustration.  However, that being said, I still have not yet tried to export an HD project using the MX02 Mini MAX.  It is supposed to be substantially faster than without it.  That will have to come at a later date as I am too busy to experiment with that part of it.  I'm a happy camper.