6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2011 11:23 PM by Jon-M-Spear

Sequence

mike.a.weiner

In using Premiere Pro CS5 on a Mac, I know that if I have a clip I can click it and select the menu Clip --> Audio Options --> Breakout to Mono to take a stereo (or presumably 5.1 set-up) to mono. What about if the clip is already in a sequence and I want to break up the audio in the sequence (i.e. -- I have a piece edited together, and I hear a blip that I want to fix by removing one of the stereo channels and make it a duplicated mono signal/just get rid of one channel)? Is there any way to do that?

Thanks,
      Mike

• 1. Re: Sequence
          Jon-M-Spear Level 4
          1. In the sequence, add a new audio track.
          2. Creat a mono Sub Mix.
          3. Make sure that the audio mixer window is displayed
          4. In the mixer window, select the audio track with the blip and pan to the clean channel.
          5. Route that audio track to the Mono Sub Mix channel using the drop-down at the bottom of the track slider in the mixer window (default routed to Master)..
          6. The panned track will now be mono across both channels.
          • 2. Re: Sequence
            mike.a.weiner Level 1

So then if I wanted only one channel the whole time in a sequence that I've cut up (making going back to the source/sources difficult) would you recommend panning and bringing the volume down in the mix and then adding a track/making the audio mono upon export?

• 3. Re: Sequence
              Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Not bringimng the levels down in the mix - that's what panning does.  Only bring the l;evels down if they NEED reducing.  I always like VO to hover at around -6 dB to -12 dB.

You can also keyframe the pan in the timeline so that it doesn't permanently have to remain on either the L or R channel.

• 4. Re: Sequence
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For adjustment of Audio Levels, there are several ways to accomplish that, and one's choice will depend on the stage of editing they are currently at, plus what they have for their Source Files. This ARTICLE discusses several of those ways, and points out where one might choose one method, or another.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Sequence
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

J-MS wrote:

1. In the sequence, add a new audio track.
                  2. Creat a mono Sub Mix.
                  3. Make sure that the audio mixer window is displayed
                  4. In the mixer window, select the audio track with the blip and pan to the clean channel.
                  5. Route that audio track to the Mono Sub Mix channel using the drop-down at the bottom of the track slider in the mixer window (default routed to Master)..
                  6. The panned track will now be mono across both channels.

Or, just add the Fill Left (or Right) effect and be done with it.

• 6. Re: Sequence
                    Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Of course, there is always that method too, Jim.

But the OP was talking about instances when the audio track had already been heavily edited in the timeline.  It is often easier, and provides greater control, to set levels etc for the timeline track, not the individual clip.