14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2011 9:08 AM by Steve Grisetti

How to have a smooth interface.

n0rthendtr00per

Hello

I am trying to smooth out the interface of Premiere 9 Elements. I downloaded this last week and was taken back how laggy the interface was, rendering, browsing themes, etc. So I thought my ram was too low so I bought 4 more gigs of it. Nothing. Anybody have an idea to get a smoother interface?

My comp specs are

ATi 5770

AMD Phenom x4 II 940 3ghz

8gig ram ddr2 1000

Dual screen with 32" vizio and 19" Dell

Please help!

• 1. Re: How to have a smooth interface.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, a lot depends on the type of video you're using for source video and how your project is set up.

Also, running such a huge monitor can also leach a lot of power from your system.

What type of camcorder did your video come from? When you started your Premiere Elements project, which preset did you select?

Also, have you gone to Windows Update manually and ensured you have even the non-critical updates? Which operating system are your using and, if Vista or Windows 7, what is your User Experience rating?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415316?tstart=30

Are you running more than one hard drive? If so, have you ensured that your second drive is properly formatted and set up?

Also note that the 64-bit version of Windows 7 will not perform as efficiently as the 32-bit version when running this program -- ironically. But it has to do with the fact that the 64-bit version has a number of drivers that do not interface well with the program.

Have you got the latest version of Quicktime from Apple?

Which antivirus program are you using? McAfee and especially Norton are notorious for reducing the efficiency of a computer. AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials (both free) will do a much better job, cheaper and more efficiently.

And, finally, have you cleared your tmp files and spyware and defragmented your drive(s)? Even brand new computers are loaded with junk and heavily fragmented.

My books go into much more detail on optimizing and maintaining your computer for video editing.

• 2. Re: How to have a smooth interface.
            Ted Smith Level 3

Apparently PE9 is designed to be run on a 64 bit comoputer (like Intel i7) with at least 6gb ram - particularly on full HD

Read some of the many posts on this subject going back months.

However I get very good fullHD results on an old Intel Core Duo 32 bit with 3g ram

I keep the preview window as small as possible unless I really need to see some detail

I keep the thumbnails in the timeline off except when  I really need them

You only need about 3gig available RAM

Yoiu have to render the area arouond some effects and titles for smoothness (of preview only)

3 internal hard disks makes a huge difference. (usb External disk are no good)

1 OS and Adobe PE9

2 Your imported video files

3 Your project and all it's files.(check you change settings)

Until I did this it ran like a sick dog. You can get 500ghz disks for $40 these days

There are some problems with burning Blue ray disks, better to use it only for editing and burn with another authoring program like Sony Architect

• 3. Re: How to have a smooth interface.
              Ted Smith Level 3

On seeing Steve's post I was nopt aware that PE9 is not as fast on a 64 bit Windows 7 as the 32 bit!

This seems strange because PE9 is supposed to be able to take advantage of a 4 core processor and who would ever install the 32 bit version on a 64 bit machine anyway?

Something is odd (and I hope it's not me!)

• 4. Re: How to have a smooth interface.

The challenge, Ted, is that Premiere Elements is a 32-bit program. So the operating system will automatically run it in virtual 32-bit mode.

But the bigger challenge is Windows 7's 64-bit drivers, which are often incompatible with the program and can bugger up the program's interfacing with disc drives and other hardware.

So it's really kind of a shame that computer manufacturers are forcing 64-bit Windows 7 on consumers. It's several years ahead of typical consumer software, which runs at 32-bit.

• 5. Re: How to have a smooth interface.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Steve's and Ted's suggestions, you might want to take a look at this ARTICLE on getting PrE setup, plus some links to tips on turning the computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to have a smooth interface.
                    n0rthendtr00per Level 1

Thank you for replying in a timely manner.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit so I am wondering if that could be the cause. I went through all of the performance and it smoothed out the interfcase by only a fraction. It was noticable but not desired as much as I wanted it to be. I am highly considering seeing if I can get a refund.

• 7. Re: How to have a smooth interface.
                      Ted Smith Level 3

I am surprised because on my slow old 2core duo it runs perfectly smoothly without any hiccups as long as any area where I have edited has been rendered (no red line showing at top of timeline).

Are you judging the 'smoothness' on full screen preview or a small size window? The former is really useful only for examining detail or checking focus.

Have you definitely got 3 good defragged sata drives and split up the prog as I suggested? Dis you defrag yoir drive before you imported the video so all files are in the same area of the disk?

Have you matched your initial project settings correctly to the video imported?

Have you got a video card that has it's own processor and memory or one that uses motherboard resources?

• 8. Re: How to have a smooth interface.
                        n0rthendtr00per Level 1

I am surprised because on my slow  old 2core duo it runs perfectly smoothly without any hiccups as long as  any area where I have edited has been rendered (no red line showing at  top of timeline).

--Lucky

Are you judging the 'smoothness' on full  screen preview or a small size window? The former is really useful only  for examining detail or checking focus.

--The most irritating thing for me right now is the fact that I can't scroll up and down my timeline without lines being present like it is processing. Also it does hang on me adding themes, effects, etc.

Have you  definitely got 3 good defragged sata drives and split up the prog as I  suggested? Dis you defrag yoir drive before you imported the video so  all files are in the same area of the disk?

--I have two HDD. One is solely for my OS at 500gg. Thinking in the future I will put my OS on a SDD. And another that is 1TB. So I am rocking 1.2 of open space.

Have you matched your initial project settings correctly to the video imported?

--Yes, countless times. But I am certain that has nothing to do with the hanging/lagginess of the interface with no media present.

Have you got a video card that has it's own processor and memory or one that uses motherboard resources?

--I have an ATI 5770 with 1gig ram onbaord.

• 9. Re: How to have a smooth interface.
                          Ted Smith Level 3

A number of posts here indicate that PE9 should be installed on the same C: disk as the OS.

It is important that the video files be on a different disk to the project files and PE9 application

Much better still if 3 disks

You only need a small one for the project because you are viewing the original video in the timeline.

Otherwise the disk is continually jumping from read to write on different areas of the same disk whenever you move the timeline

Sometimes the bigger the disk the slower it gets because it has to seek over a lorger area.

Try saving the project (as) on your main disk and reopening it from there to see if this makes any difference.

• 10. Re: How to have a smooth interface.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I strongly agree with Ted. While a 2x physical (very, very important) HDD setup will work, a 3x is even better. For me, the 3x would be the minimum, but others have been able to get pretty good experiences with a 2x.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: How to have a smooth interface.
                              n0rthendtr00per Level 1

As much as I agree with you. My buddy who is rocking 2 HDD and way less quality of prodcuts is having a smooth interface. He is using 32bit as well. So I wouldn't see the point of using 3 hdds when someone who has a way much more inferior computer having a smoother operation than me.

• 12. Re: How to have a smooth interface.
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the full specs. of your computer vs the other computer?

Likely something in the details.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: How to have a smooth interface.
                                  n0rthendtr00per Level 1

What are the full specs. of your computer vs the other computer?

--I have put the major specs in my 1st post. I don't know much of my buddy's but I think he has a invidia 480gtx card and a dual core 2.5ghz processor with 4gig ram.

I downloaded a trial of Vegas pro 64 bit and it is running flawlessly, even previewing on a dual screen. So I know for a fact it is not my computer. I'm almost sold that PE9 is not made for win 64 bit.

• 14. Re: How to have a smooth interface.

It's hard to say without knowing the answers to the questions in my very first response to your post.

Also note that, as indicated in that post, you will not get 64-bit performance from this 32-bit program on Windows 7 64-bit. In fact, because of a number of incompatible drivers, you may even get hindered performance.

You will, of course, get full 64-bit power if you use the pro version of Premiere (CS4/CS5), as you do with the pro version of Vegas.