17 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 5:26 AM by Steve Grisetti

Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook

ortegasol

I have an Asus Eee PC 1015pem netbook with an

Atom 550 1.5 ghz dual core cpu

2 gb ddr3 ram

a 1024 x 768 screen

running win 7 home premium

Can I install and use Premiere elements 9?

My camcorder creates avchd files and I would use those to edit with.

Thanks for any advice.

• 1. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As their name implies, netbooks are really pretty much for basic functions, primarily surfing the internet and answering e-mail.

Premiere Elements is a very heavy program. There is no way it would even remotely work on a netbook. Particularly if you are editing AVCHD, which can choke all but the fastest computers. Sorry.

• 2. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
            ortegasol Level 1

Thank you for your effort to help.

But I was just on the phone with Adobe and they confirmed that it does indeed work on the netbook I mentioned.

I would appreciate it if anyone with a similar netbook who has tried this could offer their advice.

I don't expect it to run like the Adobe Production Premium suite does on my Mac Pro, but it would be nice to be able to do a little offloading and simple editing of video while I was on vacation.

• 3. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook

You're welcome to download the free trial and give it a try. But, trust me on this: Netbooks are called netbooks for a reason.

And we see people on this forum daily struggling with editing AVCHD on a quad-core desktop computer.

• 4. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read these... PElements is a bit "lighter" than CS5, but AVCHD is a VERY hard file to edit if you don't have an Intel i7 CPU

The 1st link below has a couple good images showing information

CS5 Requirements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750?tstart=0
                Build it Yourself http://forums.adobe.com/thread/815798?tstart=0
                About Requirements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/618058?tstart=0

And... Laptop Video Editing PC http://www.sagernotebook.com/

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, about the minimum for doing AVCHD (or any flavor of the CPU-intensive H.264 CODEC) is:

• Fast Quad-core CPU, and a fast i7-9xx CPU will be much better
                  • 4GB RAM for 32-bit OS's, and 12GB RAM for 64-bit OS's
                  • Two, physical 7200 RPM HDD's (Hard Disk Drives), and having the media on a RAID 0 will be better (did not see the capacity and speed of your HDD), and three physical 7200 RPM SATA II HDD's will be even better.

Looking at the specs. of that netbook, it might be able to edit DV-AVI files (SD Projects), but I really doubt that it can handle AVCHD, and even if can, the editing experience will be excruciatingly slow.

I think that netbooks are neat for surfing the Web, doing small wordprocessing tasks, and reading e-mail, but by design, are ill-suited for video editing. Heck, 99.9% of the current laptops are ill-suited for video editing, and especially with AVCHD material.

I concur with Steve, that you should download and install the trial version, and test it. I would love to be proved wrong on its capabilities.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
                    ortegasol Level 1

Thanks, everyone.

The idea to download a trial is the perfect solution to test the possibility.

I'll report back on what happens in a few days.

I can also try setting the camcorder to a lower quality while filming and see how that works.

On my Mac Pro, I always set it for the best quality.

But I have noticed that with Premiere Pro CS5, the files import natively and the program seems to be using some smaller file while editing, yet when I use Final Cut Pro, it has to transcode the video files into mov files and those take up tons more space on my hard drives than the raw files on the camcorder memory card.

Would sticking in an ssd drive in the netbook be any help? Or capturing to an external usb 7200 rpm drive connected to the netbook? The netbook's current drive is a 250gb 5400 rpm.

I do have an older mini-dv tape camcorder that I could use while on vacation, but I dread the thought of having to go back to a tape-based workflow after experiencing the joy of simply transferring the video from the memory card.

The problem is that the mini-dv camcorder uses firewire for capture to a computer, so that probably won't be possible anyway.

• 7. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

With CS5 and AVCHD material, there is no proxy, or intermediate file, like in FCP. The AVCHD is being edited natively, just as it will be in PrE 9.

An SSD will improve boot times, but not much more. Tests of SSD's with PrPro show that for the program, there are few, if any, benefits. Some OS-based operations ARE improved.

One can add externals, but before you do, take a look at this ARTICLE for some tips.

Good luck, and please report the results of your tests.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
                        ortegasol Level 1

Well, I tried out a few video editors in the past few weeks and got fairly disheartening results.

I tried a couple that installed and then would not operate because the screen resolution of my netbook was not enough (it only goes to 1024 x 600).

Premiere elements installed and ran,but very slowly.

Still, I was able to log and capture a few avchd clips from my camcorder's cars and bring them in to a timeline, although the program runs very slow.

It could prove useful just for importing and then using something built in such as windows movie maker to edit the clips.

I also installed Photoshop elements and that runs better.

I now have Flash, Office, Photoshop elements and Premiere elements installed on the netbook and they all operate fairly well.

• 9. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Still Image editing is usually much less intense, than is Video editing, which is about the most intense operation that you can subject a computer to. Now, if you were to use PS (PSE might have these capabilities, but I just do not know) to Liquify, assemble HDR or even apply plug-ins, such as Neat Image, then it will become far, far less responsive. If you keep it simple, then PS/PSE will require fewer resources, than PrE will.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
                            Ted Smith Level 3

I think the number of hard disks is more important than the processor for editing althoiugh naturally the faster the CPU, the faster it will render..

Unfortunately I would be surprised if you can fit a usable second hard disk to a netbook unless you have an external SATA connection! External USB drives will be far too slow

I use PE9 in full Hd (25frames) quite OK on a 3 yr old Core Duo 2.8 with 4gbRam.

I keep the preview window small and switch off timeline thumbnails except them I really need them

It originally went like a dog until I split the Raid into 2 disks and added a $40 Sata 7200rpm 500gb disk. This made a huge difference because disks cant really read and write at the same time continuously.

You can get a Sata2 1tb hard disk now for $60!

1 OS, Pagefile and PE program installation

2 imported Video files only

3 All project files and Adobe caches

I keep a backup of the project files on disk 2 until I have made the disk.

One day when I'm rich I'll get an i70 with 20gb ram - probably in a netbook!

• 11. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The I/O Sub-system IS very important, and with the exception of highly compressed footage, like AVCHD/H.264, I feel that it is more important, than even the CPU, by a bit. Add the highly compressed footage, and the roles reverse, with the need for CPU coming to the top, and I/O slipping down a notch.

Now, I do not know the netbooks, and cannot comment  on them. I do know that it's tough to find a laptop with good I/O (internally) and a fast CPU, plus the support for a lot of RAM (# 3 in the equation), so would guess that a netbook will be impossible to configure well for video editing.

The addition of eSATA externals, through a controller card (such as an ExpressCard addition) would be my first step. However, traveling with the netbook and 2 eSATA externals rather defeats the purpose of a tiny notebook. Instead of flogging the poor netbook, I'd just look into a Sager, or similar laptop, and then add the eSATA's for when I was working at home w/ mains AC to power everything up.

I am a believer in choosing the right tool for the job. It's the same with using footage from one's cellphone. It can be surprisingly good, but will never be up to broadcast standards. There, I suggest getting a proper camera.

Just my thoughts,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
                                ortegasol Level 1

The netbook has usb 3 ports. Would it improve performance to get a usb 3 7200 rpm external hard drive to use as the media disk while using Premiere elements and have the program write to that rather than do everything on the netbook's built-in 5400 rpm hard drive?

• 13. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Not seen any real world benchmarks for USB 3.0 externals, but there are probably some available on the Internet. I would only rely on actual physical test reports, and NOT on theoretical transfer speeds, which might look good on paper, but not be even close to what you get.

For some general tips on using external HDD's for editing, see this ARTICLE.

If you do find a good benchmark test on USB 3.0's, please post the link, and I'll see that it gets added to the above article. I'm looking for the release of FW-1600 too, but that seems to still be in the future, and then the mfgrs. will have to decide if the connection is worthwhile, and then implement it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
                                    Ted Smith Level 3

I think you might be unhappy with the result.

USB3 is supposed to be as fast but it depends on how good and costly is the device is that you connect up to your computer.

You would be able to do simple edits but you'd have to have a lot of patience just adding a simple title! It could take 5 seconds to get a response from some actions while editing and preview could be very choppy.

As your netbook probably doesnt have a Blue Ray burner you wouldnt be able to make BD disks that are really necessary to see the quality your camera is capable of.

DVDs of HD are not really much better than ones made at standard def.in the first place. The main improvement is that the HD cameras can have better lenses (but not always) and some modern cameras have better picture processing.

If you do decide to get 1 or 2 extra disks then the internal one should be OK for the Adobe program and have everything else on the new disk/s.

A slower disk for the program generally means that the program just initially loads a little slower and selecting some special effects might take a little longer.

Your video handling is probably not very fast either so preview could be choppy.

After you now copy your full HD AVCHD files from the camera into your netbook, do they play cleanly using Windows Media Player now?

I wouldnt be spending any money until I knew of someone else who had successfully done it!.

• 15. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

Well articulated.

I would liken this exercise to having a Citroën 2CV, and wanting to race it in an SCCA Pro-Solo race. One could add high-tech racing tires, a high-performance exhaust system, good seats, and restraints, but in the end, it would not be competitive, and a very frustrating experience.

I'd start with a suitable "chassis" for video-editing, and then work up from there.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook
                                        JEVogel

I had a very similiar question, this has been a great thread, I've learned a lot. So, editing HD quality video on a netbook is unrealistic.

But woudl editing lower quality standard def work?

My girlfriend needs a small computer that does word/ppt/excel/email/web surfing....a netbook would be great for her.

She is also a dancer, and would like to use the camera on a netbook to record her rehearshals and review them either during rehearsal, or afterwards. She would also like to then edit the video on the netbook to make rehearsal video, to kind of 'compose' the dance piece from different videos, to build up how she wants the final piece to be.

The end result would just be for her to see the flow, and for archival purposes of the rehearsals. It would not be used for the actual performance.

So, given the lower quality needs, might a high performance netbook work?

Thanks

Jim

• 17. Re: Using Premiere elements 9 on a netbook

Once again, netbooks are built for basic computing -- mostly cruising the internet and sending mail.

Video editing with Premiere Elements on a netbook is like trying to pull a trailer with a Smart Car. Even if you can get it to work, it's now how the machine was designed to work -- and you're ultimately going to have problems. And there's simply no way to hybrid a netbook into a machine that's powerful enough to do any real editing.

Seriously. If you want to edit video, spend a few hundred dollars and buy a decently powered desktop. They don't cost much more than a netbook, and it will save you a LOT of headaches in the long run.