4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2007 1:09 PM by McFazstp

Projector won't run on asian computers

jdvav
      I've done a Director MX 2004 v10.1 projector using linked casts, embedded fonts (just the standards like Arial, Winding) and xtras like BuddyApi v3.76, Tabuleiro's MpegAdvanced v1.5.2 and StarsoftMultimedia's DisplayMode v3.0. The projector was compiled on a Western Europe system, every anti-aliased text was embedded into Director first and the projector was successfully tested on many different computers in Europe and America. But unfortunately if users in Japan or other Aisan countries are trying to start the projector they get different kinds of error: the message "access refused", the start screen (projector.bmp) is shown for a second and then nothing happens or the projector freezes. They all are using Win XP including ServicecPack 2.

I tried to send those users the fonts used in Director, which they installed on their system before running the projector. But this didn't work as well.

Are there any known issues using Director in asian countries. Could the problems result in the aisan character set. Has anybody experience with projectors of Director MX 2004 on asian windows systems?

I don't have the faintest idea what could solve my problem. So i am (and also my job ;-) is) depending on your experience and know-how!!! Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Projector won't run on asian computers
          McFazstp Level 1
          Does the app require the text to be modified after publishing?
          - If text were all bitmapped before publishing you avoid font issues altogether. It does result in larger cast members but you also get quicker screen renders without all the text antialiasing.

Does it require any sort of user input?
          - I'm not sure about XP but I have read of crashing in OSX when using extended keyboard layouts which I would assume is the case with Japan.
          • 2. Re: Projector won't run on asian computers
            Level 7
            If you are using any extended characters (>127), then that's most probably
            the reason.
            Asian languages use mbcs, in which certain sequences of two bytes map to
            single character.
            Because of that, charToNum and related functions work differently -and much
            slower- on asian systems.
            For more on encodings, you can have a look at:
            http://xtrema.rtr.gr/cArti/?trg=0

Note that the beta version of the Xtra on the site has expired (if you want
            to try it, turn your clock back a couple of months). A new version, that
            will include a text member supporting unicode text, asian and rtl languages
            (+much more) is being developed, and expected to be availabe for testing
            within the month.

If you need help with your project, you can use the mail that can be found
            at the site to contact me.

"jdvav" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:f43ckb$5ev$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > I've done a Director MX 2004 v10.1 projector using linked casts, embedded
            > fonts
            > (just the standards like Arial, Winding) and xtras like BuddyApi v3.76,
            > Tabuleiro's MpegAdvanced v1.5.2 and StarsoftMultimedia's DisplayMode v3.0.
            > The
            > projector was compiled on a Western Europe system, every anti-aliased text
            > was
            > embedded into Director first and the projector was successfully tested on
            > many
            > different computers in Europe and America. But unfortunately if users in
            > Japan
            > or other Aisan countries are trying to start the projector they get
            > different
            > kinds of error: the message "access refused", the start screen
            > (projector.bmp)
            > is shown for a second and then nothing happens or the projector freezes.
            > They
            > all are using Win XP including ServicecPack 2.
            >
            > I tried to send those users the fonts used in Director, which they
            > installed
            > on their system before running the projector. But this didn't work as
            > well.
            >
            > Are there any known issues using Director in asian countries. Could the
            > problems result in the aisan character set. Has anybody experience with
            > projectors of Director MX 2004 on asian windows systems?
            >
            > I don't have the faintest idea what could solve my problem. So i am (and
            > also
            > my job ;-) is) depending on your experience and know-how!!! Thanks!
            >

• 3. Re: Projector won't run on asian computers
              jdvav Level 1
              To McFazstp:
              Yes. I'm using a kind of database to create text contents. Maybe it would be possible to turn the text into bitmap before shown on the stage. But i'm using the effect "background transparent" on the text which would make an unbeautiful boarder around the antialised text.

No, it does not. But could you explain to me: what does "extended keyboard layout" mean. Do you think about the same like alchimist does (>127)?

Thanks for your reply!

To alchemist:
              Wow, thanks for your reply too! The side behind your published link contains a lof of information which i have to read (and understand!) first. But it looks very interesting.

Actually i've found that sort of extended characters in my project. Curiously the application crashes before one of the extended characters is shown. But maybe i'll find one of the extended characters used with the PrepareMovie-Script. Whatever, i will replace every extended character found in my project. But first i'll study your unicode-article and also i'll take a look to the xtra. Thanks!
              • 4. Re: Projector won't run on asian computers
                McFazstp Level 1
                Yeah basically the extended layouts use unicode. Looks like we have to wait for the next release of Director. I need to develop a Japanese version of an app too so let me know how you go.

-Stephen