4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2011 12:36 PM by crmark

2 x Xeon e5620 processors V/s i7?

crmark

Is going for a double xeon processor a complete waste compared to the i7?

Here is my basic application or task flow:

I work on AE, Premiere, Photoshop & Flash. Sometimes all at the same time.  I am hoping the hyperthreading will allow me to work on them together at really good speeds. I don't work on large size or resolution videos but I work on many small videos to mash ups, my productions don't exceed 5 or 10 minutes. I am looking for a good scalable reliable system that will help me work quicker, especially on previews and effects.

I am not too happy about the desktop i7 setup since I can't ramp up on cores and RAM as much as on a server MB.

I was planning a 12 core but thats out of budget and I am thinking of working with 8 cores first and then upgrading to 12 cores later.

HDDS

I don't need large HDDs even about 300GB is more than enough. What would the best config be on RAID, etc ( I have no clue about this).

VIDEO CARD

Planning to go for something simple like the GTX460, I could use some advice with something with open GL.

Please help. I've gone through several forums and forum threads, and I'm completely spoilt for choice Now.

Thanks

Mark

• 1. Re: 2 x Xeon e5620 processors V/s i7?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Not the best choice and certainly an expensive choice. Look at the best dual E5620 with 24 GB memory in the PPBM5 Benchmark. 301 seconds. It is more than three times slower than a fast machine. You would get much better performance for a much more attractive prive from a single i7-970 properly tuned and overclocked. BFTB-wise, dual Xeons are inadvisable.

There is no discernable performance difference between 24 and 48 GB memory, only a very noticeable doubling of price, especially if you are talking about ECC memory. Instead of the 460, I would look at the 560.

Adobe Forums: To RAID or not to RAID, that is the...

• 2. Re: 2 x Xeon e5620 processors V/s i7?
            crmark Level 1

Hi Harm,

I went through the benchmarks. What you're saying does make heaps of sense. I think im convinced to go the i7 way.

Now the big question form me is which i7 to go for if were thinking value for money?

I am thinking i7-920 or i7-2600k?

Also how does one Overclock the processor? Is it very difficult to do?

GTX 480 or 560

What else do I need to go with it?

Thank you so much for your advice and the benchmarks link has been a real eye opener.

Thanks

Mark

• 3. Re: 2 x Xeon e5620 processors V/s i7?
              RjL190365 Level 4

Mark,

The i7-920 is no longer available new. The least-expensive quad-core LGA 1366 i7 CPU is now the i7-950 at around $280, with the i7-960 about $20 or so more.

As for the i7-2600K, it does cost about $20 more than the i7-960 - but it's much easier to get a stable heavy overclock without the need for ultra-expensive CPU cooling solutions. (This is because the i7-2600K uses the newer 32nm CPU manufacturing process while both the 950 and the 960 still use the older 45nm manufacturing process, which is less efficient per clock cycle than the newer CPUs.) What that means is that you can achieve quite a high overclock (around 4.6 ~ 4.7 GHz) from the 2600K using a $40 air cooler while the 950 or 960 often requires a $300 water cooler or even more expensive liquid hydrogen cooling in order to get up that high. Just be aware that you need a P67 motherboard or a motherboard based on the forthcoming Z68 chipset in order to overclock the CPU. And also note the potential limitations in the number of PCIe lanes on that LGA 1155 platform: Although most current GPUs do not take full advantage of even x8, let alone x16, future GPUs could be bottlenecked by the forced x8 mode (these limits show up when you try to add a discrete hardware RAID card to your new build).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 2 x Xeon e5620 processors V/s i7?
                crmark Level 1

Just be aware that you need a P67 motherboard or a motherboard based on the forthcoming Z68 chipset in order to overclock the CPU. And also note the potential limitations in the number of PCIe lanes on that LGA 1155 platform: Although most current GPUs do not take full advantage of even x8, let alone x16, future GPUs could be bottlenecked by the forced x8 mode (these limits show up when you try to add a discrete hardware RAID card to your new build).

I didn't quite understand this part. Sorry I'm not at par with hardware knowledge.

Thankyouvery much RJL. So here's what I got. i72600k is good value for money, can be overclocked and will heat less compared to older processors. I'll have to get a p67 motherboard along with.

I also went through Harm's thread on RAID0. A fellow video editor said that I could use 2 x velociraptors @10kRPM in RAID0 and that would increase speed and performance. I am not too big on HDD. I edit videos that are not more than 10mins long and work with resolutions less than DV.

Thanks

Mark