9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 5:40 PM by UKChristopher79

Can not open CR2 files from a Canon 600D in PSE

UKChristopher79

Hi

Ok i will put my hand up and say i am very new to PSE, I have updated the software and have the latest camera raw plug in, but for some reason i can not open the raw files created by my 600D.

Can anyone help, or am i going to have to convert them.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i couldn't find any posts

Chris

• 1. Re: Can not open CR2 files from a Canon 600D in PSE
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The 600D should be supported in ACR 6.4 which is currently in beta so you'll have to wait until it's released, probably within days or weeks, for native support within Elements.

While you're waiting, you can download the beta version of the DNG Converter 6.4 from Adobe Labs and use that to convert your CR2 files to DNGs which will open in older versions of Camera RAW.

http://labs.adobe.com/

Follow the Camera RAW 6.4 RC link and eventually you'll get a link to download the DNG Converter 6.4 RC.

The Camera RAW 6.4 RC installer will only run if you have Photoshop, not Elements, so you can't use that, yet, but you can use the DNG Converter.

Because the DNG Converter and Camera RAW 6.4 are in beta status there could be differences in how the RAW photos look compared to when you get the released version of ACR 6.4 but probably not too much difference.

• 2. Re: Can not open CR2 files from a Canon 600D in PSE
            Noel Carboni Level 7

You didn't mention what version of PSE...

Just to add one small thing...  I don't think there's been an announcement about whether Camera Raw 6.4 will allow installation into Elements 8.  That the beta does not doesn't say the release won't, but at some point we can anticipate that Adobe will cut off adding new support to older versions of Elements.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Can not open CR2 files from a Canon 600D in PSE

Good point.  Anything older than the current versions of products wouldn’t necessarily support a new version of ACR, so Elements 9 might be necessary.

• 4. Re: Can not open CR2 files from a Canon 600D in PSE
                PSGreenie Level 1

Snap. Had the same problem with PSE8 and the 600D. The 600D is not supported yet but will be soon with the release of Camera RAW 6.4. There are two solutions:- Download the DNG Converter 6.4 and convert your CR2's to DNG's which will open in Elements. The other way is to use Digital Photo Professional, the software that came with your camera. Open the CR2 in DDP then go File - Convert and Save, save as Jpegs. Then in Elements go File - Open As - select Camera RAW the Jpeg file will open in the RAW editor. Both ways are a bit fiddly but I prefer the DNG converter method. I got this infor from this site yesterday. See my post Help Please below.

Paul

• 5. Re: Can not open CR2 files from a Canon 600D in PSE
                  Level 4

In my personal opinion, Ps Elements is overpriced by about $88.50 (do the math), but if you are stuck with Elements by need or by choice, by all means get the latest available version.

Just my ¢2.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 6. Re: Can not open CR2 files from a Canon 600D in PSE
                    UKChristopher79 Level 1

Thanks for all your advice, I have PSE Version 9 so i should be ok once they release the new camera Raw update, I have set the camera to store both the RAW files and a JPEG, so i can live without conversion in the short term.

Tai, I am not sure what you are suggesting, I went with PSE rather than CS5 because one was £45 the other is £500-600, basically for the same reason I went for a 600 and not a 60, I need to walk before I can run. Unless I am missing something fundamental here.

Again thank you all for your quick advice, and have a good Easter.

Chris

• 7. Re: Can not open CR2 files from a Canon 600D in PSE

Tai is saying Elements is overpriced, but you should upgrade to PSE 9 if you have something older.

• 8. Re: Can not open CR2 files from a Canon 600D in PSE
                        Level 4

ssprengel wrote:

Tai is saying Elements is overpriced

…overpriced by about $88.50, in other words, virtually worthless in my opinion.

The only reason to be stuck with it is if you can´t possibly afford the full Photoshop version.

Also, ACR itself is intentionally limited, emasculated, when hosted by Ps Elements.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 9. Re: Can not open CR2 files from a Canon 600D in PSE
                          UKChristopher79 Level 1

Hi

Just to let you guys know that the nice people at Adobe have released a new Camera Raw update and i can now open the files.

Thanks for all of your advice

Chris