Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing PPTX

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2011 Apr 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

Maybe I'm doing this backwards, but I'm trying to import PPTX files (PowerPoint) into an existing Captivate project. Then, when it comes in, I clearly need to rescale the PowerPoints, or, what I'd really like to do is resize the PowerPoint to only take up a certain amount of screen space.

is there any way to do that?

Maybe I should ask the real question which is this: for some reason, the client wanted to put slide text animations into the PowerPoint, and up to this point to import slides I've been creating JPEGs and importing those, which has worked perfectly well.....until now. How should I go about making the transitions work?

Most of them are just fade ups, which I can obviously easily do in Captivate, but some of them fly across the screen...

Thanks,

Mike

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2011 Apr 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

You perhaps already know that I have some difficulties sometimes to understand exactly what a user is asking. Sorry about that.

If you are importing PPT-slides, each slide with its transitions will be converted to a FMR-slide. Normally the transitions will be there, but editing is not easy in Captivate, has to be done in PPT. You'll have to check yourself if the conversion is OK, mostly this works fine.

But then I read something about the PPT-slides not taking up all the space on the slide, which is to me another question, not really linked with the import process. In that case you will have to resize your project, perhaps more than once. Be sure to keep the original project as imported from PPT if you do expect to need the roundtripping again. Importing PPT-slides will always result in having the slides taking up all the space in the CP-project.

About rescaling to a bigger resolution, while keeping the PPT's in their original ones, perhaps this blog post where I'm talking about a Knockout Master slide could give you some inspiration, but I'm not sure about the CP-version you are using. The rescaling maths in the blog post will work also in CP4 however.

Create and use a Knockout Master slide

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's sort of what I'm going for, but not really. I don't want a "knockout" slide, I'm just trying to fit several slides that have text animation onto an already existing slide....I have 30 presentations, and the sizing is already set, so I can't resize the presentation, unfortunately.

Any way to do this?

It was nice though, that the transitions WERE there.

I'm in Captivate 5

Thanks,
Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was pointing at the rescaling, because I (mis)understood that you wanted to add information not on top of the imported PPT-slides (that are converted to FMR) but in other regions of the slide. But that will have been a mistake from my side, sorry for that. Really do not understand what you want to achieve.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really do not understand what you want to achieve.

I have a presentation, built out of 20 slides. Those 20 slides incorporate 20 slide videos, 1 per slide (as you are only allowed that). They also use PowerPoint presentations, exported to the form of a jpg, because jpgs are small (file size), and I can edit them to the size and position I need them in the presentation. Then, I have timed out captions to follow the video.

Cool.

...except that 5 of the PowerPoint slides have text transitions/animation which makes it more difficult on me. I need to get these 5 slides into Captivate WITH the animations, or recreate them. If the text fades on, no problem, I cut the jpgs up in Photoshop, and edit the timing out in Captivate. However, some of the text flies on the screen, etc.

So, I need to be able to replicate that. So, I was asking what the best way is to do that...except that I cannot change my presentation size, I cannot change my image size, etc. I need it to match what I already have. I think you mentioned that I cannot unforutnately edit the imported PPT size/FMR?

How can I achieve this?

Thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

It can be difficult to understand fully a question... My work flow would be totally different, but I'm hooked to Captivate

I would import the static slides as images into CP and do the necessary work there, never try to compress images myself (do use Photoshop a lot and import the original source files) since Cp takes care of that when publishing and you have control over the degree of compression. And I would like to have the largest possible resolution in PPT for different reasons to have the best quality.

What I was trying to explain about the PPT-slides with animation that you want to insert: create a small CP-project in a resolution that is smaller than the final one, the resolution you want it to have when it will be in the final file. Then, rescale this to the final size to give you real estate where to put extra objects, information.That is why I pointed to the blog post about Knockout master slides for the rescaling technique because you will probably have to match it with the other slides where you imported static PPT-images. Then you copy those rescaled slides to the original project.

When I was talking about less possibilities for editing FMR (trimming, cutting is possible like in video), it doesn't mean that you can not add other objects on top of them once you have the slide: everything is possible, active and interactive objects, audio,... It is the FMR-object itself that has not so much editing possibilities in Cp. If you want good quality for the FMR I would certainly recommend setting the quality to 32-bit instead of the default 1-bit.

Really hoping that this explanation can help you, that I did understand the issue now?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent 4 hours on slide timings etc. for one presentation, and i cannot nor have time to redo those timings...because when I did it, I did not know that this was going to be an issue. Is there anyway to import another captivate project without having to rescale and lose everything?

in other words, can i create a captivate project, import the needed pptx files, save that project, and then go into the other captivate project and import the newly created one?

additionally, I have my settings in Captivate set to "high" for image quality, and there is no compression issue with the image that I am importing (and have exported from PowerPoint). I was importing tiffs into Photoshop so the quality was siginificantly higher, and then I had to slice up the image, cut parts out, etc., that's the only reason why I was using Photoshop for this project.

thanks as always,

mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In Captivate 5 you cannot import slides anymore, but you can open both projects and copy/paste slides between projects. But all slides in one project need to have the same resolution (just like all 800x600 pixels). If the powerpointslides can take up all that space, no need for rescaling. In that case you do not even need to create two projects, you can just import the PPTX slides using Insert, Powerpoint slide.

I must be really difficult to understand, because I do not know why you suppose I told you to recreate the timings? Are you talking about timing in the PPT? Just import those PPTX-slides, each slide will be converted in a Full Motion Recording with the complete timing you did set up. But I thought that you had to make the size of those slides smaller to fit in other objects on the outside of the PPTX-slides? If you PPTX-imported slide can have the same resolution, pixel dimensions as the resolution of the other slides you do not have to rescale. Again I must really have understood this totally wrong.

You can set the slide quality to high, or overrule the slide qualities on publishing by choosing High-24-bit at that moment. Is that what you mean by image quality set to High?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I probably misread the question, as I'm working day and night every single day of the week to get this done and am not yet halfway there...I thought I read the following passage that you had to set this up BEFORE you created the rest of your presentation, and so I was concerned that the only part I had left was the insertion of the PPT files...though I suppose I could copy/paste the entire presentation, but that could be a nightmare in and of itself, should something get knocked off. ...or like you mentioned, could copy the ppt-captivate slides to the new presentation.

Lilybiri wrote:

What I was trying to explain about the PPT-slides with animation that
you want to insert: create a small CP-project in a resolution that is
smaller than the final one, the resolution you want it to have when it
will be in the final file. Then, rescale this to the final size to give
you real estate where to put extra objects, information.That is why I
pointed to the blog post about Knockout master slides for the rescaling
technique because you will probably have to match it with the other
slides where you imported static PPT-images. Then you copy those
rescaled slides to the original project.

So in Captivate, what should i set my project to in order to match the resolution/frame size out of powerpoint?

and to your quality question, yes I was referring to the High 24-bit.

Thanks!!

-Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When you import a complete PPTX, Captivate will by default take over the resolution of that presentation, have a look. The resolution in PPT isn't that visible, you could check the design portion, Page Setup. Be sure that the width-height ratio is the one you'll want for your CP-project at least (4:3, 16:9...).

As for the other questions I really think we do not understand each other, I still do not understand if you want the ppt-slides to take up all the space on your CP-slides or not. It must be my limited use of English perhaps.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

well thank you for all the help now and in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources