12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 5:38 PM by RjL190365

Dell Inspiron One for HD editing

I have only recently started editing our movies in HD format. Up until now, my low spec Dell has been sufficient for DVD quality editing, but unfortunately this cannot handle HD, so I am looking to upgrade.

Could you please offer your advice and opinions on whether the Dell Inspiron One 23, will be suitably equipped to handle HD video editing in Premiere Pro CS5? (My main concerns and due to the video card.)

Intel Core i5

Windows 7

6GB ram

1TB Hard drive

1GB ATI® Mobility Radeon HD 5470 Graphics card

Many thanks for your time and replies.

• 1. Re: Dell Inspiron One for HD editing
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Not worth the expenditure. Underqualified, underspecced in all aspects. Too slow a CPU, not enough memory, not enough disks, crippled BIOS and to top it off, a Dell.

Look here to see what makes a good system: PPBM5 Benchmark

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dell Inspiron One for HD editing
            RjL190365 Level 4

I agree with Harm. That all-in-one desktop is no better than a typical laptop PC in CS5 performance even with the maximum loaded specs that you had specced for it. In fact, it costs as much money as a laptop PC of similar performance - but without any of the portability that makes a laptop PC a laptop. What's more, the i5-460M is an older Arrandale CPU rather than a mobile Sandy Bridge CPU - and is only a dual-core CPU (all Arrandales have only two physical cores). Plus, the all-in-one can accommodate only one internal hard drive - and there is no provision at all whatsoever to accommodate a second fast hard drive since the only connectors that system has are a few USB 2.0 ports (which are too slow for even a single current-model hard drive, let alone a RAIDed external hard drive).

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Dell Inspiron One for HD editing
              hendo25 Level 1

Hi Harm, Rjl,

Many thanks for your quick replies - greatly appreciated.

I am not a professional by any stretch, and wonder if many of the systems commented on within these forums may be good enough for me, although not for other users, when compared to the very powerful systems available.

Without having a custom system built, could you recommend a starting point for a make/model? I started by researching Dell options, but am now looking into Asus following the link from Harm. Do you have any recommendations? (on a budget around £800 ($1300)).

Many thanks in advance,

• 4. Re: Dell Inspiron One for HD editing
                RjL190365 Level 4

You pretty much have to go custom-built or build-it-yourself at this point. The Asus brand that's referred to in the PPBM5 Results list refers to motherboards, not complete systems. (In fact, the overwhelming majority of systems in the PPBM5 list are custom or DIY builds.) Most brands of pre-built systems make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to configure to specs that are anywhere near Adobe's minimum recommended configuration (such as two or more physical hard drives configured as totally separate volumes, a higher-end Nvidia GeForce series graphics card and 12GB or more RAM) because most are housed in cases that are too small and come with PSUs that are too underpowered, and very few companies even offer options that come anywhere close to Adobe's recommended minimum configuration.

And laptop PCs generally have a tough time competing with fast desktops and workstations in the PPBM5 benchmark: The few laptops that rank in even the top half of the results list (as indicated by "Med" or better) mostly use desktop CPUs - and only one system that's based on a truly mobile CPU (a Clarksfield-based i7-740QM) ranked that high.

• 6. Re: Dell Inspiron One for HD editing
                  hendo25 Level 1

Thank you kindly for all of your help.

I have started to look into this option:

+ upgraded video card to Nvidia GTX 560

+ 2nd 1TB hard disk

+ Sound card Creative XFi Audio 7.1

This looks like it's ticking more boxes!!

Or this one:

Any thoughts? Is there anything I'm missing?

Many thanks

• 7. Re: Dell Inspiron One for HD editing
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

All typical gaming machines. Look at least at i7-930+, 12 GB memory, 3 x 7200 RPM SATA drives and a GTX 460+ video card.

• 8. Re: Dell Inspiron One for HD editing
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And do not get a audio card, just use the onboard audio chip.

• 9. Re: Dell Inspiron One for HD editing
                        RjL190365 Level 4

I agree. Only get a discrete audio card if one is also going to mix and/or equalize and/or balance audio tracks with that PC. But since most video editing work involves very little (if any) audio mixing/balancing/EQing (in fact, most of what audio work the video editor is going to perform is simple cuts and "splices"), onboard audio will suffice.

• 10. Re: Dell Inspiron One for HD editing
                          hendo25 Level 1

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your help. I have never bought a customised PC before, and your guidance has been extremely appreciated.

I am still considering certain options, and would very much value your input if possible.

Which would you recommend:

Intel Core i7 950

Intel Core i5 2400S (which I think is Sandy Bridge)

Reading a bit of the info on www.intel.com and doing a comparison here, http://www.intel.com/en_UK/consumer/products/processors/comparison-chart.htm

do I still need an nVidia graphics card if I go for the 2400S?

Currently my plan is to get the GTX 460 or 560.

Thanks in advance,

• 11. Re: Dell Inspiron One for HD editing
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Get an i7-950, forget about the crippled 2400 and get either a 460 or 560. You still need the nVidia card. The integrated Intel chip is utterly worthless.

• 12. Re: Dell Inspiron One for HD editing
                              RjL190365 Level 4

I agree with Harm, in this case. Premiere Pro CS5.x does not support QuickSync (nor will it support QuickSync for the foreseeable future), and thus integrated Intel GPUs are out of consideration. In this case, the integrated Intel graphics would have forced CS5.x's MPE to run in software-only mode, and the timeline export performance would have been no better than other GPU's in software-only MPE mode. Worse, without QuickSync support in Premiere, the MPEG-2 DVD and H.264 encoding performance would have been much, much slower than most of the discrete PCIe GPU's.

And the crippled i5-2400S is not a good choice in a video editing PC: Even if you're using that CPU on a motherboard that allows massive overclocking (which with currently available boards would have completely disabled the integrated Intel graphics and thus would have required you to purchase a discrete graphics card anyway), you will never get anything above 3.0 GHz out of that CPU with all four cores in use. What's more, even when overclocked to its maximum comfortable level, the Sandy Bridge i5's are still about 20 to 25 percent slower overall than an equally-clocked Sandy Bridge i7 because the quad-core i5's have no HyperThreading whereas all i7's have HyperThreading. (I did a test, whose results were not reported on the PPBM5 results list, on my previous i7-950 system with both HyperThreading enabled and HyperThreading disabled. Running 12GB of DDR3-1600 memory and the CPU at its stock 3.06 GHz, the total PPBM5 time increased from 297 seconds with HT enabled to about 345 seconds with HT disabled.) Put them both together, and you have an overclocked-to-the-max (3.00 GHz) i5-2400S system that still performs significantly slower than a stock-speed (2.66 GHz) i7-920.