13 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2011 9:06 AM by John T Smith

Power supply units and graphics cards?

Brushman1000 Level 1

My computer's power supply unit is 300 Watts is that good.… Good enough or too little to run a good graphics card with PrE9.

My computers specs are...

Compaq Presario CQ 5305 UK,

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit,

Pentium dual core CPU E5300 @ 2.60 GHz,

hard drive 320 GB - Sata,

4 GB of RAM,

External hard drive 1 TB.

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Power supply units and graphics cards?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What else is in your computer... how many hard drives?

Do not even try to use an nVidia card that has a power supply connector

Power supply calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp (the PRO version)
          Or http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html?Tpk=power%20supply%20calculator

• 2. Re: Power supply units and graphics cards?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should be just fine to run a 258 meg graphics card -- which should be more than adequate for this program.

Assuming, of course, you're not planning to edit AVCHD video. In which case, you probably don't have quite enough processor power to have a satisfying experience.

• 3. Re: Power supply units and graphics cards?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with John T's and Steve's comments, you might want to check out the links in this ARTICLE, as much is discussed in those. Note: some of the Video Card concerns, listed in a few of those links, apply to PrPro CS5, which uses some Video Cards w/ CUDA for the hardware part of the Mercury Playback Engine. PrE does NOT use CUDA, nor have the Mercury Playback Engine - that is ONLY in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Power supply units and graphics cards?
                Brushman1000 Level 1

Steve my camera uses MPEG-4, AVC H.264..........

My computer is 2.6 (dual core) if that makes any difference?

If not then is there anything I can do to improve things?

• 5. Re: Power supply units and graphics cards?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's doubtful you'll find your computer powerful enough to edit AVCHD video, Brushman. Especially if it's a laptop.

It's worth a try, I suppose. You just may find the experience a bit frustrating.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Power supply units and graphics cards?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

With AVCHD material (or any H.264), a newer, faster Quad-Core, or much better yet, i7-9xx CPU will really be needed for smooth editing.

The next step, though not so important with this material, is a 2x, or better, 3x HDD setup.

Obviously, the PSU will be important, as you add HDD's. Never sell the PSU short in a video editing computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Power supply units and graphics cards?

I edit AVCHD with PPro CS5... My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 460 or whatever is the current "best bang for the buck" - AND I would buy 4Gig-by-3Sticks memory to be able to expand from 12Gig to 24Gig if needed
                      For my home hobbyist, family movies (which means that I am not trying to recreate Star Wars with video effects or many layers) AVCHD editing is "as smooth as spreading warm butter on hot toast" (also the MP4 video from wife's Flip camera)
                      My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                      1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all programs
                      2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video projects
                      3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write
                      • 8. Re: Power supply units and graphics cards?
                        Brushman1000 Level 1

Not knowing a huge amount about computers, I think I made the assumption that because my PC was playing back AVC HD clips well, that I had recorded with the Xacti... That it would also edit them in the same smooth fashion...   As you had said Steve that I may find it a bit frustrating, I think that is what I've been experiencing but not wanting to realise it, I naïvely thought that adding a decent graphics card would sort that out, so I may have to either try to upgrade my CPU or consider getting another computer, BTW mine isn't a laptop but a desktop, so there is more room for customising it I guess.  Is it possible do you think that somebody could swap the dual core for a quad core or the i7-9xx? or is that likely an upgrade too far, should I consider getting a new computer?

Hunt - you spoke of these faster CPUs in relation to smooth editing… I guess what I'm wondering is, will it make more of a significant difference to the smoothness of the image rather than the rendering time?  Or will rendering time be greatly improved?

If I were to add in an internal secondary hard drive I guess I would have to increase the PSU, currently its 300 W, is it possible to bump up the PSU without it affecting the computer adversely?

John - thank you very much for your recommendations… I'll have to look into this!

Many thanks

• 9. Re: Power supply units and graphics cards?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Hunt - you spoke of these faster CPUs in relation to smooth editing… I guess what I'm wondering is, will it make more of a significant difference to the smoothness of the image rather than the rendering time?  Or will rendering time be greatly improved?

A newer, faster CPU will improve both aspects, especially with H.264 (any flavor) material, as the Encoding/Decoding is done almost all in the CPU. With an older, slower CPU, killing almost everything, that is not necessary, will free up the limited CPU cycles. This ARTICLE will give you some tips.

If I were to add in an internal secondary hard drive I guess I would have to increase the PSU, currently its 300 W, is it possible to bump up the PSU without it affecting the computer adversely?

With playback, having a non-partitioned, 7200 RPM SATA HDD is a positive, and should be stated as the absolute minimum. Having more physical HDD's, to spread the I/O load will improve things. Adding a RAID 0 (or one of the 0 configurations) w/ dedicated RAID controller, for both the media and for the Export/Share drives, will speed things up, and also smooth some things out.

Filling the MoBo with a full compliment of RAM, if one has a 64-bit OS, will allow the OS to work, with very little Page File usage, and as RAM is much faster, than I/O, even if one has a newer SSD drive.

As for the PSU, so long as it has the proper power leads for your equipment, and is attached properly, will have no adverse effect. A bigger PSU will not speed anything up, nor smooth anything out, BUT will insure that every component has the voltage that it needs. As one adds components, like more HDD's, a separately powered GPU, etc., the load on the PSU increases, and an underpowered unit can bring the computer crashing down.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Power supply units and graphics cards?
                            Brushman1000 Level 1

Thanks Hunt - I will study over what you have said... it is a bit of a learning curve for me!

CHeers

• 11. Re: Power supply units and graphics cards?
                              Brushman1000 Level 1

Hello Hunt, I hope you can help me with this.. (& anyone else as well who has any thoughts on this).

I think that I will have to upgrade from my dual core computer to a quad core if I'm going to manage AVC HD.

To quote you "With AVC HD material (or any H.264), a new faster quad-core, or much better yet, i7-9xx CPU will really be needed for smooth editing"

Well I don't think I can afford the i7 PCs, but I have found one Hewlett-Packard that I hope will fit my needs... Can you tell me if you think this will do the job for me? It is called the HP Pavilion p6740uk http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homedesktops/product.php?id=LG099EA&experience=direct

So I'm wondering... is the processor & graphics setup good enough for me to enjoy editing AVCHD using PrE 9, smoothly?

The processor is the latest AMD Athlon ii x4 640 processor, and it has the Nvidia GeForce G405, with 1 GB dedicated graphics memory, with PureVideo HD technology TV (DVB-T) tuner card, MPEG 4.

I hope you can help.

Many thanks,

Brushman.

• 12. Re: Power supply units and graphics cards?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, I have zero experience with AMD CPU's, so cannot comment on the one in the HP unit. However, others here do have experience, so I hope that they can step forward and give you first-hand experience with that, or similar.

In the end, it is the number of cores, and their implementation, that matters. The idea is to get as much data through the pipeline, in as short a time, as is possible. The "pipeline" consists of the CPU and its bus, the I/O controller and the HDD's, and the RAM and its bus and timing, and in about that order with AVCHD, or H.264 material. As stated above, with most other material, the role of the I/O and the CPU swap, but both are still important.

Good luck, and I'd also post your question to Muvipix.com, as I know that there are several AMD users there, who can very likely help you. The more real-world experiences that you have to draw from, the better your decision will be.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Power supply units and graphics cards?

Go to the CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ and see what computer does well, or not so good... this is for Premiere Pro, but at least will show hardware rankings

None of the AMD CPU computers does as well as an Intel quad-core CPU due to not having some commands inside the CPU that are used for video editng

You might go to the http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum and do some reading

For AVCHD you simply need a very powerful computer, with at least 2 hard drives (3 are better) or your computer will struggle