1 2 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 3:39 AM by Crist OC/PC

Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k

crmark

http://i.min.us/jkMZYK.png

http://ppbm5.com/Benchmark5.html

I am wondering how the i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k even though it has just 12GB ram compared to the 16GB on the i72600k? Is it becaues of the SSD? setup?

If I plan to go along with the i7-2600k

Over clocked to around 4.7Ghz

GTX 470 or GTX560

MIS P67-GD65

--- What else would one need to fill in the blanks to get the performance up there on the top?

• 2. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
          James G Maker Level 1

The huge raid array with the spendy controller on the 920 makes the difference.  You can't deny the speed advantage of Harms Raid tower.

I'd like to know the TOTAL Bang For The Buck score when all the systems are scored by including the cost of the complete system.

It's my guess that it would be very hard to beat the new 2600K.

Another part of the cost is the power required to run the complete system pushing the 2600k further up the BFTB list.

Happy Easter!

James

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
            crmark Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Tuning and raid setup.

Thanks for the reply Harm. I went through your to RAID or not to RAID thread. It's awesome and it put a lot of things into perspective.

The question I have on the RAID is, working with min. amount of HDDs and space, what setup and how many drives will give you the advantage in performance and speed along with security. Is there a config you can recommend?

• 4. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I cannot speak for Harm but as far as the RAID system that he has posted right there for you.  It might not be possible on the i7-2600K machine since it has only 20 PCIe lanes.  The i7-9xx family with the X58 chipset has 40.  This makes it possible to easily have a PCIe x16 (lanes) graphics card and a RAID card with PCIe x8.  There is an unanswered question about adding the NF200 to any motherboard to add more PCIe lanes as to whether this might slightly slow disk performance?

I have a P6T7 WS Supercomputer with two NF200 PCIe extenders motherboard and had an 12 each 7200 rpm disk Areca RAID 0 (no redundancy just a configuration for testing) faster hex core 24 GB system that I believe to be as fast or faster read and write times as Harm with his 12 disk 7200 rpm Areca RAID 30 12 GB RAM system, but no matter what I do I cannot match his Disk I/O (AVI encoding) score.  About the only thing I can think of to blame this on is the fact that I have those 2 each NF200 PCIe extenders.

Harm-Bill-comparison.jpg

• 5. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                Jim_Simon Level 9
                I am wondering how the i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k

It can be difficult to tell if that is actually the case with the current results set up.  To really compare CPUs, what we users need is a combined MPEG2 and H.264 score that we can sort by.  Individually is somewhat helpful, but the total encoding time for the CPU tests is the best way to see at a glance which CPUs perform best.

• 6. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                  RjL190365 Level 4

As Harm stated, an elaborate RAID setup and tuning. Unlike the two highest-ranked i7-9xx quad-core systems, none of the high-ranking i7-2600K systems have a discrete hardware RAID controller card at all. Instead, they rely entirely on the onboard P67 PCH RAID controller that's effectively good only for RAID 0 or RAID 10. The trouble with the onboard Intel RAID is that it causes the PCH (or ICH, in the case of the ICH10R on X58 platforms) to work a bit harder than it should because the onboard Intel SATA controller now has to handle both the non-RAID OS disk and the RAID 0 or RAID 10 work array (remember, more traffic means a greater load on the PCH or ICH). It's also the reason why most of the i7-9xx/X58 systems with onboard-only controllers and no discrete RAID controller cards are relatively slow (at 4.0 GHz, such a setup is still two to three times slower than a fast system) in the PPBM5 benchmark even when heavily overclocked (the ICH, in this case, couldn't quite handle the increased traffic demanded by running both an OS drive and a RAID array at the same time).

For all I know, the fastest-performing of the quad-core i7-9xx systems have had the Intel SATA controller set to IDE mode rather than AHCI or RAID mode (this is because the software AHCI driver loaded by either Microsoft or Intel when the controller is set to AHCI mode still adds overhead, which in turn misuses the CPU). Unfortunately, IDE mode support may soon be history since some chipsets will permanently lock the controller to PIO-only mode when set to IDE mode while some other chipsets require the installation of CPU-hogging software SATA AHCI/RAID drivers just for the system to even work properly. And a sluggish OS disk is detrimental to overall sytyem performance, including the PPBM5 benchmark.

• 7. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

that I believe to be as fast or faster read and write times as Harm with his 12 disk 7200 rpm Areca RAID 30 12 GB RAM system, but no matter what I do I cannot match his Disk I/O (AVI encoding) score.

You have the better score on the Disk I/O test: 59 s is much better than 64 s, because your 12 disk (r)aid0 is much faster than my 12 disk raid30. My average sustained transfer rate is only 850 MB/s, yours IIRC is over 1000 MB/s, partly due to the 1880 IOP versus my 1680 IOP.

Randall, you are correct about the IDE setting, at least in my case.

• 8. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

The simplest and most affordable disk setup on a P67 system is:

C: OS & Programs

D: 2 disk raid0, pagefile, media cache, previews, exports

E: 2 disk raid0, media, projects

Make sure that you have a good backup strategy, especially for your E: drive. You don't want to lose your original media.

• 9. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                        Scott Chichelli Level 3

now that its out and we are past NDA, pretty sure Harms numbers is with 5.5. as well.

only explaination for moving from below the highest 2600 to above it..

Scott

ADK

• 10. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k

Harm, that's we we senior seniors fondly refer to as "Oldts Timer Disease"

Sorry Scott but the only thing Harm changed was his Rendering Timeline with MPE hardware acceleration and that was just a drop of 1 second.  Not hardly what we hopefully expect from CS 5.5.

• 11. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry Scott, no 2600K has ever scored better than my system. My system has always outranked all 2600K systems. Wishing it, does not make it so.

• 12. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                              Scott Chichelli Level 3

Are you absolutely certain?

I was pretty sure when our 2600 @ 4.7 was first put up we were above you~!

Also why your numbers were questioned by a few different posts? (moved from 1 slot to a higher one..)

Not trying to bust your chops...

Eric and I guessed it was due to 5.5 you were Beta testing..

I could be wrong, wouldn’t be the first time.

Scott

• 13. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                James G Maker Level 1

by Harm:

"The simplest and most affordable disk setup on a P67 system is:

C: OS & Programs

D: 2 disk raid0, pagefile, media cache, previews, exports

E: 2 disk raid0, media, projects"

I'd like to see the speed of your system with this exact disk setup.  I honestly don't expect you to do this as you've already donated much of your time helping complete strangers tune their systems.

I'd also like to see how fast an i7-26000k system could run with your Areca card / raid system plugged into a well tuned GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD7-B3.

This would be more of an apples to apples comparison instead of the sack full of apples vs the cup of ready to eat applesauce.

The Areca (or similar) raid system pretty much dominates the top of the PPMB score.  Randall's and the ADK S-Bridge systems are nipping at the heals with a modest investment total in comparison to everything that comes in above.  I don't think everyone should be forced to only buy a budget priced anything.  I make a living selling hand crafted items for 20X what you could buy them at Walmart.  Some people want the best and I encourage their wishes.  However, in my situation I'm building a system to help promote my work and I'm looking at the total cost of the system as a business investment.  Trying to extract the best BFTB.  I'm hoping to push the 20X to 50X or higher.

When the discussions here between P58 and P67 preformance get filled with cherry picked information, it takes more time for the novice like me to try and sort it out and process it into a realistic comparison.  I do remember the ADK i7-2600k system briefly posted above Harm's Beast.  I'm assume that 's because of the capability of the RAID attached to Harm's system, and some fine tuning by Harm pushing it further up the ladder.  Is this because the P67 is inferior?  Or is it because it hasn't been tested with a similar RAID?

James

• 14. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI James,

"technically" you cant add a raid card to the P67/Z68 (unless you buy one of the higher end that have the added 3rd party chips for PCIe expansion)

Some have added a raid card regardless and I have seen mixed claims on this. Until I actually do it and test it myself I cant comment on it

We have been too busy to find the time. I tend to think the video cards ability would not be reduced by much if at all personally but that’s pure speculation

at this point on my part. And you know what assumptions can do..

More importantly I would say anyone who needs a raid array past what onboard can provide should be on either a 990x/X58 or realistically a dual Xeon.

I would assume Red4k or other heavy hitting codecs at that point.

As no one doing AVCHD/XDcam etc type codecs needs an 8+ drive raid

Now redundancy is 1 area that could be argued for a need, but a simple NAS storage (which you really should have even with a raid 5,6 anyway) is a better option.

I have both a raid 6 internal and a raid 5 NAS. And an external 3TB Sata drive.

Now something I can state with 100% fact

Take away Harms raid array and the 920 would be pretty far behind the 2600. (stock for stock or OC for OC)

It takes a 970 just to run fairly even with a 2600 and in some tests we have run the 2600 @ 4.7GHz beat the 980x @ 4GHz.

So from a brute force POV the 2600 outclasses all X58 other than the 990x

Scott

ADK

• 15. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                    RjL190365 Level 4

Harm,

For that matter, no i7-9xx quad-core system with disk and/or graphics subsystems less expensive than yours has ever scored anywhere near as good as your system. By my estimates, your system cost more than two times more expensive than most other systems with the same CPU and graphics card and the same amount of RAM - at the time you originally purchased the components in that system. And even today, the RAID card plus 12 drives usually cost more than the CPU, OS drive, motherboard, RAM, coolers, case and graphics card combined.

And of all the systems that I had submitted to the PPBM5 site over the past nine months, none of my i7-9xx systems scored as good as my current i7-2600K system - at least not with the disk, graphics and CPU cooling components I had used with those systems. However, I did not submit results from my previous i7-950 overclocked to 4.0 GHz with 16GB of RAM to the list - and that system still failed to score better than my i7-2600K system overclocked to 3.9 GHz (that is on the PPBM5 results list) with the same disk and graphics components.

• 16. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Randall,

My sytem did cost me at time of purchase around € 3,200. Much less today.

• 17. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                        RjL190365 Level 4

Harm,

That's still more than the total cost of the components in my current or previous system. And right now the US Dollar is very weak against the Euro (though not at its all-time low). €3,200 was the equivalent of about $4,200 USD at the time you bought the components. Today, however, €3,200 is the equivalent of more than $4,600 USD. Recent price drops especially on the CPU, RAM and graphics card and the disks bring the true current cost of those components closer to $3,000 USD (about €2,050).

And yes, I did sell off my i7-950 CPU, motherboard and six 2GB sticks of RAM mainly because that system wasn't all that stable, and the CPU kept running somewhat hotter than normal at even stock speeds. All I have left today for the i7-9xx/X58 parts are an i7-920 CPU and an Intel-brand X58 motherboard (DX58SO) with only four DIMM slots (and thus I could only go to 16GB with that system). Because that motherboard has a lot less features (for example, the original DX58SO has neither an onboard SATA 6.0 Gbps controller nor an onboard USB 3.0 controller), it's no wonder why it had a slightly better AVI Disk score than the Gigabyte motherboard I had used with the i7-950.

• 18. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                          JEShort01 Level 4

Bill Gehrke wrote:

Harm, that's we we senior seniors fondly refer to as "Oldts Timer Disease"

Sorry Scott but the only thing Harm changed was his Rendering Timeline with MPE hardware acceleration and that was just a drop of 1 second.  Not hardly what we hopefully expect from CS 5.5.

So Bill, Harm, it is time to update PPBM5 to reflect the facts for Harm's Beast... CS5 version = 5.5 and RAM = 24GB!

Thanks,

Jim

• 19. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

I'm sorry to disappoint you and not. I have upgraded to 24 GB, that is correct, but...

I have not yet tested with 24 GB to see the differences in results.

I can't comment on CS5.5, it has not been released, but I do plan to get it ASAP.

I have been planning to do extensive testing with the 24 GB memory, but all kinds of things got in the way that are in no way related to video editing.I had a huge backlog on new submissions after spending a week with my daughter, I successfully managed to mangle my laptops screen that is now in Germany for replacement, I had a serious leakage that destroyed my parquetry and bedroom floor, I had ever lasting discussions with the insurance company, I still have problems with wireless reception on my HDTV, I have problems with my car, I need a new server, etc.

It all seems to come together at this moment in time, keeping me from really testing with the new memory. But as soon as I get the chance, I'll update my results.

• 20. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                              JEShort01 Level 4

Harm,

Thanks for the update; sounds like the stuff of life has been pretty crazy for you lately!

Regarding your need for a server - have you reconsidered repurposing the "Beast" to server duty and then choosing a new MB/CPU for a new CS5.5 build instead?

Cheers,

Jim

• 21. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

I'll wait for the new Sandy Bridge E CPU's and hopefully the new Areca PCIe 3.0 cards before doing a major upgrade, but I do consider moving my current Areca 1680iX-12 card to the new server and getting an 1880iX-24 card for my video machine. I would be interested to see some experiences and benchmark results with the Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 line of disks. Are they still considered as 'Deathstar'?

• 22. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                  Crist OC/PC Level 2

Dear All. Just posted my result. hoppe to see a update soon.

You will see what happen when you have a I7 950 @ 4.6GHZ, 24G RAM DOMINATOR GT KIT 1752MHZ 9-9-9-24 and a GTX 460 @960MHZ.

CHEERS =)

B.R. Cristobal

• 23. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                    Scott Chichelli Level 3

and how stable is that? that a crazy OC even for me.

i would be concerned for stability..

Scott

• 24. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                      RjL190365 Level 4

Wise decision, Harm. As of now, the current Sandy Bridge platform is not recommended by Videoguys due to a couple of serious issues:

1) The integrated graphics. Even if one can disable it (or run the CPU on a motherboard that cannot enable the integrated graphics), the integrated graphics could still create stability issues.

2) The current LGA 1155 CPUs and chipsets are limited in the number of available (open) PCIe lanes, as I have known. Outside of the 20 PCIe lanes integrated on the CPU, the chipset's PCH has only two to four available PCIe lanes because most LGA 1155 motherboards eat up most of the eight PCIe lanes with onboard USB 3.0 controllers, additional SATA and eSATA controllers and (on most boards) an onboard Realtek NIC.

By the way, while it's true that the LGA 1155 platform has shared PCIe lanes, the same holds true for the LGA 1366/X58 platform (albeit to a lesser extent): On most boards, the PCIe-x16 physical slots share bandwidth with one another (off of the X58 IOH) while the PCIe-x1 slot(s) are run off of the ICH10(R), whose six total PCIe lanes are only PCIe 1.1 compliant.

• 25. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                        Crist OC/PC Level 2

If we talk about temp it is very stable, intelburntest and prime did run perfect  without load 35  ...

But to be hones Im in 1,47 V It is very hi no matter how god is the cooling system I like to see period of live of  the proccesor @ that votalge.

• 26. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                          Crist OC/PC Level 2

This is better than a sandy I guess =)

B.R.

Cristobal Salas

• 27. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                            JEShort01 Level 4

Wow Cristobal, 146 on PPBM5 and without a controller card - congratulations!

I think that you could make a system fly no matter what CPU you were using.

Regards,

Jim

• 28. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                              Crist OC/PC Level 2

THX Jim I really did work hard in order to toning my PC for a very low cost.

The word OC is all arrown my pc, offcourse  all best components and a long study of the perfect relation of transport data on the computer.

cheers =)

• 29. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k

Congratulations on that 146 especially with a quad core, it really shows that the CPU speed is absolute king in performance!

• 30. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                                  Crist OC/PC Level 2

THXVM Bill and yes is complettly importa the CPU Speed. I will add the to use the right voltage make a difference, Was a littlle sad that in some  test previus I got the mpe test in 4 sec and  the disk test in 68... I now I can still impruving that result but 146 is ok and it show what I wanted to show:

Point 1: I7 Its a better proccesor that i5

Point 2: Overcloking it is not an exact science but it is going soon to be. Components, coefficients, frequencies, latencies, everything is important.

Point 3: With a raid controller "Areca ARC-1880iX-16" This PC will take lest that 129 Sec. But before I try that I like to try Some PCI SSD.

B.R.

Cristobal Salas.

• 31. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                                    Crist OC/PC Level 2

TO EXPLAIN THIS "Point 1: I7 Its a better proccesor that i5"

1366 >1155

i7 920,30,50>i72600...

i72600...= i5 HT + RAM

=)

• 32. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                                      RjL190365 Level 4

Cristobal,

It does take incredible (and extremely expensive, possibly into the thousands of dollars) CPU cooling to get that CPU to that high of an OC. With even a $100 cooler I could not get the i7-950 that I had past even 4.0 GHz, let alone reach 4.6 GHz, without resulting in the CPU overheating. And at 4.0 GHz with my current drive config, the 950 that I had still performed slower than my current 2600K at 3.8 GHz.

And as I tried to mention, the quad-core i7-9xx CPUs require an extremely massive overclock just to equal the performance of a moderately overclocked i7-2600K. At stock speeds, the i7-9xx quad-core CPUs do underperform a stock-speed i7-2600K - but mainly because of the i7-9xx's significantly lower stock clock speeds. In other words, clock speed is king here.

However, as I had stated a few times, the LGA 1366 platform is currently the better choice if one wants to add both a discrete hardware RAID card and a HD digital video I/O card in the same system.

• 33. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                                        Crist OC/PC Level 2

Dont know what to tell you... Whit air colling "Prolimat..." my i7 930 is @ 4.1 very stable, my 950 is in H2O and yes it is a custon cooling system processor, board, ram, and gpu.

One day I make a article whit all info concerning data transpor, componets, O.C. and more.

I have not dout I can make the SANDYS run better but they really dont interest me.

B.R.

• 34. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                                          RjL190365 Level 4

Yes, not all i7-950's can achieve the same level of overclock. The particular 950 I has was just "mediocre" in terms of overclockability, requiring a massive voltage increase just to even get to 4.2 GHz (let alone 4.6 GHz). And some 950's can barely overclock past their stock Turbo frequency of 3.2 GHz without requiring massive voltage increases.

• 35. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                                            Scott Chichelli Level 3

+1 as someone who has been doing OCing for a long time and selling OCed systems since 98

there is a vast difference from a stable "sellable" OC to some of these crazy extreme OCing numbers that do nothing more than win a "mine is bigger than yours" contest.

i have tried it all. Cryo, water, oil submersion, thermal plates. some of these very costly and very stupid. ($1500 cryo case, oil submerged fish tank, nitrogen)

best one is the system in a freezer...

a stable OC on a 950 is 3.8GHz maybe 4.0GHz if you get lucky (very very few) same for the 960,970, the 980, 990 might be ok @ 4.2GHz with 4 being the norm.  we bin a lot of processors looking for the OCing ones.

this is even more so true on a professional workstation vs some gaming hack. a game can crash big deal your system crashes during a render not too cool..

basically all you have done is prove what many have said GHz is king always has been always will be and why the new sandy are so great.

if i had the time i would do a stupid silly OC on a sandy (we have already hit 5GHz on air) but i dont.. too busy selling systems and dont see the point of posting a system that is not sellable or way out of the norm.. (water cooled)

Scott

ADK

• 36. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                                              seanmcr6

Hey Scott,

I'm running a 990X on an Asus Rampage III MB with 24GB of Corsair XMS3 ram that says it will do 2000Mhz...but when I try to up the CPU to get 2000Mhz FSB, it only recognizes 12GB :|

Do you have any advice for this setup to maximize my performance?

Currently I am stuck at 1600Mhz with the i7 running at 3.58Ghz

Admitedly, I'm not a skilled OC. That's why I bought this MB as it dead simple to let the system figure it out, but I'm hoping I can squeeze a bit more out of it.

EDIT: I should add I'm using the H70 water cooler...and my temps are pretty low, even while crunching video

sean

• 37. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

This happens quite often when enabling XMP profiles. In that case you need to adjust BCLK settings, making your first steps into overclocking.

• 38. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                                                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

NEVER try to get your ram past 1600 even when OCing.

the X58/P67 platforms are the most touchy platforms for ram i have ever seen.

as for CPU overclokcing there is a good # of setting you have to fool with i recomme3nd finding an OCing guide for X58

maybe Eric will poop in here and comment.

but its a lot of info to post and much is trial and error

Scott

1 person found this helpful
                                                                                  • 39. Re: Comparing PPBM5 stats howcome i7-920 performs better than i7-2600k
                                                                                    crmark Level 1

What do you think about the intel XTU Overclocking for dp67bg + i7-2600k? My attempts at manual overclocking kept crashing win 7 beyond recovery especially while working on the RAM.

So it OC'd with STU to 3.8G with turbo. I am considering an air-cooler (I have AC so I didn't invest in a cooler).

How about Coolermaster hyper 212 vs v8 or v10? And maybe run the XTU again after I get the cooler installed.

1 2 Previous Next