10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2011 3:45 PM by JeffHayat

Cant get text to appear in swf

JeffHayat

Hi

If I start a new project with some text that I tween, that doesnt appear in the swf; the swf is blank. But when I do the same with an image, the swf has the proper info. Here's what I am doing:

New project
      Import jpg
      Convert to symbol > Type: movie clip
      Select (for ex.) frame 20
      Insert Kframe
      R-click > create motion tween
      Move object
      Export to swf: swf has pic and movement

New project
      Create text layer
      Type text
      Convert to symbol > Type: movie clip
      Select (for ex.) frame 20
      Insert Kframe
      R-click > create motion tween
      Apply some effect
      Export to swf: swf is blank

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Cant get text to appear in swf
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are using dynamic textfields you need to embed the font.

• 2. Re: Cant get text to appear in swf
            JeffHayat Level 1

Ah, I need to embed the font. Ok - that makes sense.

So, I did some searching on how to do this, and I came up with some results that I took a look at. The first was an Adobe page, that gave me instructions that almost seemed like they were for a different application, and told me to click places that didn't exist.

Then I found others, including this:

http://www.dotstrosity.net/2010/05/10/flash-cs5-font-embedding-its-totally-different/

Ok, that seemed like it would be it - but it's not working. I guess where I am getting lost is at the psrt where he says "Now you need to include this code (replace NumberFont with your linkage name from before):" What linkage name from before? I dont see one on that page. So, I am thinking that if I can figure out what to replace ' NumberFont' with, that might do it?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Cant get text to appear in swf

Unfortunately, I don't have CS5, so I can't say whether what I'll suggest will work or not... but in any other version of Flash I know of, if you select the textfield on the stage and look in the Properties panel, there should be a button labeled Embed...  If you click that it will open a panel where you can specify which characters to embed.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Cant get text to appear in swf
                JeffHayat Level 1

No such option in the Properties panel.

But I found something else interesting. If I choose a standard font, say Arial, I have the same problem. And if I try this with a new project as outlined above - with a standard font - the same thing happens: blank swf. Doesn't that mean that it's not the font, but somethign else?

Furthermore, when trying with the non-standard font, I was playing around with 'publishing', and received this error:

VerifyError: Error #1014: Class flashx.textLayout.container::ContainerController could not be found.

ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable Font_3 is not defined.

ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable MainTimeline is not defined.

Hopefully that will help.....

Cheers.

• 5. Re: Cant get text to appear in swf

If you are using a dynamic textfield, then anything you do to try to animate or rotate or filter that textfield will require that the font be embedded in it.  It is not the font, it will fail for any font... it is the need for embedding.  Static textfields draw in the characters when the file is compiled, so no embedding is needed.  If you are using the new TLFTextFields, I am clueless as to what goes on with those.

If you get error essages, don't expect anything to work.

• 7. Re: Cant get text to appear in swf
                    TarikMansuer Level 1

ooops wrong acct

• 8. Re: Cant get text to appear in swf
                      JeffHayat Level 1

Hi - it is not a dynamic textfield. In the upper right, the properties read 'Classic Text' and Static Text'.

"If you get error essages, don't expect anything to work."

Understand that, but how do I get rid of those errors? I just dont understand what I am doing wrong here.

New project

Static text

Animate

And nothing in swf file. I can not for the life of me figure out what I am missing. It has to be something, but I am at a complete loss here.

• 9. Re: Cant get text to appear in swf

For the errors, what you can try is to go into your Flash Publish Settings and select the option to Permit Debugging.  This might help by pointing to specific lines in your code when the errors are reported again.

• 10. Re: Cant get text to appear in swf
                          JeffHayat Level 1

Ok, got it.

The publish settings were set to Flash Player 10. I set it to 7, and bingo - it works.

Thank you!