6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2011 9:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Why are still photos blurry when I play movie?

middleton2434

I am making a video slideshow using Adobe Premiere Elements 9. Most of the video is made up still photos. When I playback the video the still photos are blurry. What should I do to prevent this? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Why are still photos blurry when I play movie?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If there is a red line above the clips on your timeline, you need to render the timeline.

Press Enter. The clips should play clearer when the red line turns green.

• 2. Re: Why are still photos blurry when I play movie?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of those stills? The DPI/PPI are meaningless, as will be the file sizes. It is pixels x pixels, that matter.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Why are still photos blurry when I play movie?
              middleton2434 Level 1

Thank you for your quick response. Rendering the timeline did improve the quality of the picture. Although quality is still a tad blurry, but definitely better than before. The dimensions are 4320x3240. Would that be the reason the pictures still a little blurry? Thank you for your help!

• 4. Re: Why are still photos blurry when I play movie?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, and thanks for that. This ARTICLE will give you some background, plus tips on using stills in Video. I strongly recommend doing ALL Scaling in PS/PSE, prior to Import. First, the quality will be better, and then the overhead on the computer will be greatly reduced.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Why are still photos blurry when I play movie?
                  hwoodum

I realize this is a little old, but I just installed Premiere Elements 9 and I am having a problem with blurry images during playback. I read your article Bill, and that just seems like a massive amount of work for the average individual who wants to put together a movie. Is all of that really necessary? It seems complex to have to gear all your photos to a particular program when so many programs allow you to just load you images and build a show without all of that tweaking. I stopped shooting in RAW and went to highest res jpgs, just because I take a lot of photos and RAW + jpgs take up a lot of space on the computer. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

HWoodum

• 6. Re: Why are still photos blurry when I play movie?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I read your article Bill, and that just seems like a massive amount of work for the average individual who wants to put together a movie. Is all of that really necessary?

With PS, or PSE, and Scaling Actions, one can do batch processing of entire folders of images in moments. That linked article gives setup tips for doing batch scaling very easily, and the Action, plus Automate to Batch, will work on entire folders. My workstation will automatically process ~ 500 4000x3000 pixel images to 720x480 in about 2 mins.

There are two benefits when Scaling stills in an image processing program, prior to Import into an NLE (Non Linear Editor) program:

• The processing overhead is greatly reduced
                    • The quality is greatly improved, as the Scaling algorithms in an image processing program, are much better *

If one wants to let the NLE program do the processing, and one has many large images (especially at still camera resolutions), then they WILL need a very powerful computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

* PrPro, as of CS5, has improved the quality of Scaling, but the overhead issue still exists.