10 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 2:35 PM by Colin-B

Converting .mod files and starting a new project

Maya.D Level 1

Hi all

I have just purchased Premiere Pro CS5 which is an upgrade from Elements 4 for me.  I just want to make sure I'm moving in the right direction as I'm not really technically savvy and am still trying to get my head around all the terms, differences etc.

Basically I have a JVC Everio which gives me .mod files.  I have downloaded MPEG Streamclip as per recommendation on this and previous forums.  I want to make sure

Should I be converting .mod files to .avi or should I be converting to a different format?

I have recorded my video in widescreen and want to make video watchable on Australian TV.  When I use MPEG streamclip it offers me a plethera of choice which confuses me.  At the moment I have selected the following:

When I first select the Mod file I'm given an option to choose a task.  I have selected "Export to AVI". 

NB: I also have the choice to "Convert to MPEG with MP2 Audio" and "Export to DV" plus a number of other options with terminology which doesn't look familiar at all.  Thought it best to stay away from these ones!

Once I have selected "Export to AVI" do I select "Fix timecode breaks"?  I'm not sure what this means.

Finally:

Compression

Apple DV - Pal

Quality = 100%

DV Options

Scan Mode = Interlaced

Aspect Ratio = 16:9

Sound

MPEG Layer 3, Stereo, kHz=Auto, 256 kbps

Frame Size

do I select "1024 x 576 (16:9)" or "720x 576 (DV-Pal)", there are other options which I can list if you need the information

Frame Rate

This has been left blank and I have not selected "Frame Blending" or "Better Downscaling"

Deselect for progressive movies

I have Interlaced scaling and Reinterlace Chroma selected but deinterlace video remains unticked

Field Dominance

Lower Field First

Once all my files are converted and I open Premiere Pro CS5 what settings should I be selecting for the best output to DVD for Australian television?  I get so confused with all the options!!

Thanks in advance for your advice.