9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2011 2:13 AM by vdobhal

Adobe shortcut icon overrides all my other desk top shortcut icoms.

phuocngo

Upon downloading adobe Reader and completed installation

, the Adober shortcut Icon overrides all my other desk top shortcut Icons.  I use Win

dow Vista.  I had Adobe  and use it before without  this silly problem untill about 2 months after the upgrades to Adobe Reader 9 and Adobe

be Reader 10.  I tried to re-download the Adobe 8 version but no lucks.  Any suggestions please.  This forces me to repeatedly unistall  and re-download and install each time I need to use Adobe or the other desk top programs

• 1. Re: Adobe shortcut icon overrides all my other desk top shortcut icoms.
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just to be sure we understand, is it the Adobe Reader shortcut icon or is it just the Adobe PDF icon?

• 2. Re: Adobe shortcut icon overrides all my other desk top shortcut icoms.
            phuocngo Level 1

I think it is the Adobe Shortcut Icon.  It is the Icon that each time we

install a program, it creates a shortcut Icon for easy access.  Attached is

the screen shot of my PC.  As you can see, the Adobe Icon overrides

everything else.  So, as long as I have the Adobe Installed, I can't have

access to the other ones, because when it happens like this, if I right

click or double click on the other icon that is masked by the Adobe, it says

it cannot read/open the other program.

Regards,

• 3. Re: Adobe shortcut icon overrides all my other desk top shortcut icoms.
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It doesn't look like your screenshot made it. Can you try again?

You can't attach one if you are using these forums via email. You must come in to the forum, hit reply and use the camera icon to attach the image.

• 4. Re: Adobe shortcut icon overrides all my other desk top shortcut icoms.
                phuocngo Level 1

DSC01021 resized.jpgI think it is the Adobe shortcut I con.  This is the one that upon downloading & installing, the program itself puts a shortcut Icon onto the PC screen.  In

this case, as you can see from the screenshot, it not only puts the Adobe Icon on, it also overlays its icon onto everything else.

Regards,

Phuoc Ngo

• 5. Re: Adobe shortcut icon overrides all my other desk top shortcut icoms.
                  phuocngo Level 1

It is the Adobe shortcut Icon placed on my PC screen upon dow

nloading & installing the program.  Please see the attached screDSC01021 resized.jpgenshot.

Regards,

Phuoc Ngo

• 6. Re: Adobe shortcut icon overrides all my other desk top shortcut icoms.
                    phuocngo Level 1

I just replied in the forum as you suggested.  Please help.

Regards,

Phuoc Ngo

• 7. Re: Adobe shortcut icon overrides all my other desk top shortcut icoms.
                      raburgess

I'm using Windows 7 and I'm also having this problem. All of my quick launch and desktop shortcuts appear as Adobe icons. Also, when Adobe is installed I still can't print.

• 8. Re: Adobe shortcut icon overrides all my other desk top shortcut icoms.
                        pwillener Level 8

I have seen this phenomenon a couple of times over the last year or so; it only seems to happen on Vista and Windows 7.

Unfortunately the forum search does not work at the moment (for several weeks now), so I cannot find the past solutions that were posted.

All I remember that the users needed to reset or re-create the Windows user profiles to make the problem disappear.  Sorry, I cannot give you instructions how to do that; all I remember is the information I wrote.

• 9. Re: Adobe shortcut icon overrides all my other desk top shortcut icoms.
                          vdobhal Adobe Employee

Hi Phuocngo,

What happens if you try to double click on these icons? Do they open up in the intended application or do they try to open up Reader? e.g. if you double click a xxxx.doc file which has the Reader icon, does it open up Microsoft Word or opens the file in Adobe Reader?

If it opens up in the intended application i.e.Microsoft Word, then the file associations are correct and it is only an issue with you icon cache which can be rebuild easily. If it is otherwise, then there is a problem with File Associations.

Following are the steps to rebuild your icon cache:

1.       The Microsoft recommended way is here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/132668

·         Press the F5 key to refresh the icons in the current folder.

·         Close and then reopen a window that contains incorrect icons.

·         Restart your computer.

·         Re-create the ShellIconCache file. This file is re-created automatically when you change your display's color depth. Follow these steps to change your display's color depth to a new setting and then change it back to the original setting:

1.       Right-click the desktop and then click Properties.

2.       Click the Settings tab.

3.       Change the color depth from the current setting to a new setting. For example, change from Highest (32 bit) to Lowest (16 bit).

4.       Click Apply, and then click Yes to accept the changes.

5.       Change the color depth back to its original setting.

6.       Click Apply, and then click Yes to accept the changes.

·         Using Registry Editor, add the Max Cached Icons string value with a value data of 2000 to the following registry key, and then restart your computer: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

If the icons are still incorrect, delete the ShellIconCache file. The Max Cached Icons value data range is between 100 and 4096. The default value is 500.

2.       There is something else to try (described here - http://smallvoid.com/article/windows-icon-cache.html)

In essence, the system has a special IconCache.db file in the User folder.

The recommendation in the link is to delete this file which should let the system to rebuild the cache with proper icons.

Restart the system after that.

On XP it should be in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data

Thanks,

Vinod