5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 10:30 AM by Soopytwist

Custom masks in Premiere Elements 9?

Soopytwist Level 1

Okay, I have PE4 and need to upgrade to a later version because of it's incompatibility with Windows 7.

I can get v4 to work with compatability mode but it crashes a lot. I've been using it for a project I'm working on and need to create a 16 or point mask. This is not easy in version 4, in fact it's a major pain in the behind. For starters the default 16 point garbage mask is some crazy shape that takes a lot of tweaking of the variables to get just a basic rectangle shape. The shape I need is complicated and adjusting the variables, sliding the mouse etc, is nigh on impossible.

What I'd like to be able to do is draw a mask directly onto the video clip and drag each vertex with my mouse to create the precise shape that I want, even adding new vertex points where necessary.

I'd also like to drag the whole mask and place it where I want in the clip and use animation as well to have the mask move and change shape during the course of the clip.

Can this be done in version 9 of Premiere Elements? Or even version 5 onwards because in version 4 it's not possible to do that.

• 1. Re: Custom masks in Premiere Elements 9?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Garbage Mattes in version 9 function virtually the same as they do in all the earlier versions, Soopy.

Although you can create a custom-shaped mask using the Track Matte effect (also the same), there is no tool in the current version for custom-created a mask on the fly.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Custom masks in Premiere Elements 9?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

By its design, a Garbage Matte (4-point, or 16-point), is limited. A perfect example of their use would be a shot with green (blue) screen, where the camera recorded areas outside the green screen. To do Keying form that Clip, there is material, that would need to be removed, as it is beyond the green background, and hence would NOT be Keyed out. One would use the Garbage Matte in that situation, to limit what was seen to JUST the green background area. Then a good clean Key could be pulled.

I agree with Steve, that Track Matte Keying is the trick for what I think you need. You can create those in Titler, in almost any custom shape. You can also create them in PS/PSE, and can then easily Save them for use in other Projects, plus you have even more control. Note: you can Save a Title to a Template too. Unlike the Garbage Mattes, you can also soften the edges - Garbage Mattes will always be hard-edged.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Custom masks in Premiere Elements 9?
              Soopytwist Level 1

Thanks guys, that really helps. So I can't do Track Matte Keying in version 4? I need to buy a later version anyway because if the Windows 7 issue so I may as well get the lastest version.

• 4. Re: Custom masks in Premiere Elements 9?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Track Matte Keying IS available in PrE 4.0.

Now, one user, Ed Macke, has found that there can be a Bug with Track Matte Keying, and it does not seem to be just with PrE 4.0. After a lot of work, and some time editing a Project, one looses the ability to add Track Matte Keying. He and I tested, but were unable to find out what the trigger was. It seemed to be related to the amount of editing done, or perhaps time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Custom masks in Premiere Elements 9?
                  Soopytwist Level 1

I see, well I'll try to finish the project in Prem 4 but I will be upgrading to 9 pretty soon. Thanks for your help.