6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2011 2:01 PM by the_wine_snob

Replace Audio

davidhramsey

Greetings

I have searched but I have not been able to find an answer so I apologize in advance if this has already been covered.

I am trying to replace a section of audio (only) from one clip in my timeline with audio from another imported clip. Any hints?

Thanks

David

• 1. Re: Replace Audio
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are many, many ways to do this, David. It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

The easiest way is to work in Timeline mode.

Add your video clip to the Video 1 track. Right-click on it and select the option to Delete Audio.

Then add your new audio to any of the audio tracks on the timeline.

• 2. Re: Replace Audio
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Steve's suggestion (as he stated, there are many ways), one can Alt+click on the Audio in a Clip to temporarily unlink the Video and Audio,and then one can manipulate the Audio in many ways, from Delete, to Move it about. Note: cne can Alt+click on Video, to separate it from its Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Replace Audio
              davidhramsey Level 1

Thanks for your responses but I am still "confused". I am trying to replace only a small portion of a clip in the timeline where you can hear talking in the background, not the entire clip and none of the video.

• 4. Re: Replace Audio
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, I'll step you through my Alt+click method here.

I'd zoom in on my Timeline, so that you can see Audio Waveform pretty well.Navigate to the Clip, and to the area with the voices. Move the CTI (Current Time Indicator) to just before the voices. Alt+click on the Audio, and use the Scissors/Razor Tool to cut it. Move the CTI to after the voices, and repeat. Now, you will have three pieces of that Audio. Rt-click on the middle section, and Delete it. You will not be Closing Gaps, as the Video is still intact.

Now, I would drag your replacement Audio to another Audio Track first. Nudge it on that Audio Track, until it syncs up with the remaing sections of Audio (the ones before your Cuts and after your Cuts) Trim it to fit, and drag to the gap in Audio 1 (or where ever your original Audio was located). Note: dragging to that gap in the Audio is optional, and only if you want to keep things very neat. It will play just fine, or Audio Track 2.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Replace Audio
                  davidhramsey Level 1

Thanks for all your help. Not the most eligant solution but a solution never-the-less.

David

• 6. Re: Replace Audio
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Another way to remove a small section of Audio, and depending on what you have available, would be to Export just the Audio from that Clip (limiting the Export with the WAB - the Work Area Bar), and then Opening that WAV file in an audio editing program, like Audition or the great, free Audacity. Locate those voices and just Delete that section, replacing it with some ambient sound from elsewhere in the Clip. Import that into PrE, and use it to replace the original Audio.

If you attenuate the Volume at that point, you will have silence, instead of the ambient noise. Now, you could do that attenuation, and then just Trim out a little bit of ambient noise, and place that onto another Audio Track, in the place of that attenuated camera track.

Like Steve said, many ways to attack such an issue.

Good luck,

Hunt