10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2011 10:37 AM by MoSkiLuv

Am I an idiot or just stupid ? Can't Import Clips

MoSkiLuv

Hi everyone...  thanks for the help and patience..

I'm an iMovie user trying to make the change to Premiere... so I donwloaded the trial version to check the workflow and get a feel for it..

And I've just spent 2 hours, creating 4 test projects, and using every possible import setting and I CANNOT get the files off my Canon Vixia HF 20 HD camcorder to show up.  They don't show up. I've tried every option in project settings. I've tried taking it off the desktop..  Nothing works.

What am I doing wrong   It cannot possibly be this difficult...

Frustrated in Abq...

Thanks

Canon HF 20 HD is AVCHD, don'r know the frame rate for sure, I think I shot at both 30 and 17.

13 MacBookPro 10.6.6  Plenty of drive space... no worries there

Trying to use a trial of Premiere elements 9.0

• 1. Re: Am I an idiot or just stupid ? Can't Import Clips
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's always helpful if we know exactly what steps you're taking, Mo, so we can help you figure out where you're going wrong.

As I say in my books, to get video from an AVCHD camcorder, you must:

1) Create a new project and ensure that you've selected the proper project preset for your cam's AVCHD format.

2) Plug the camcorder into your computer's USB and use Get Media, From Flip, AVCHD and Hard Disk Camcorder to bring your video clips in.

3) Your video clips will appear in the Project media panel. This panel is opened by clicking on the Project button. (Not the Media button, as you would suppose.)

In addition to the books, I've created a series of free 8-part Basic Training tutorial series for Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com. They'll show you how to do a lot of the basics. And, if you like them, there are also Intermediate Training and tutorials for specific tasks on the site.

• 2. Re: Am I an idiot or just stupid ? Can't Import Clips
            MoSkiLuv Level 1

Thanks for the reply..

I was successful in loading the MTS files off the desktop/usb but it still doesn't "read" the camera in the way I expected.

Also unexpected is the EXTREMELY choppy preview in the timeline after everything is imported and audio conformed.  This is crazy.

I don't know if I can deal with this.. I have literally spent all day on it.  Back to iMovie 9 for me...

• 3. Re: Am I an idiot or just stupid ? Can't Import Clips
              the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the specs. of your computer, and especially the CPU?

What is the Project Preset that you chose?

Do you have a red line above the Clips, when you drag them to the Timeline?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Am I an idiot or just stupid ? Can't Import Clips
                MoSkiLuv Level 1

13" Macbook pro core 2 duo 2.26 GHz

4 gig memory

didnt see a red line

don't know what "preset " unless you're talking about the camera pre, which I think was the AVCHD 1920/1080

But Like I said, it wouldn't detect the camera, I had to go to the usb icon on the desktop to get MTS files. I've since shut it down and will try tomorrow, or until my

30 day trial is up

I like what this offers, I really think premiere is better, but this learning curve is not helping..

• 5. Re: Am I an idiot or just stupid ? Can't Import Clips
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With a Core2 Duo, you will never get smooth editing of AVCHD (or any flavor of H.264) material. A fast, newer Quad-Core is the absolute minimum, and a newer i7-9xx series CPU will be even better.

Your computer, if properly tuned, shoudl edit SD material adequately.

Sorry for the bad news,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Am I an idiot or just stupid ? Can't Import Clips
                    MoSkiLuv Level 1

I think my friend who recommended premiere told me this 6 months ago, but I thought that was for Pro.  I was hoping Premiere was a scaled down

pro-sumer version for someone like me.. 

Bummer, cause iMoveie actually sucks...

Thanks for keeping me from pulling the rest of my hair out..

• 7. Re: Am I an idiot or just stupid ? Can't Import Clips
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Elements is a scaled down version of PrPro.

What differs in this case is that Apple's NLE programs cannot edit AVCHD natively, and have to create proxy files for editing. Adobe went a different route. Their NLE's do edit the native footage, so no proxy files required. This has many benefits, but one downside is that one needs a powerful computer for AVCHD and other types of H.264 CODEC files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Am I an idiot or just stupid ? Can't Import Clips
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>my friend who recommended premiere told me this 6 months ago, but I thought that was for Pro

The hardware requirements for AVCHD are just about the same for PPro and PElements... allowing for the fact that PE is a 32bit program so can't use as much ram as PPro for the editing process

As Hunt said... an i7 is really needed for AVCHD... plus at least 2 hard drives, 3 are better

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 460 or whatever is the current "best bang for the buck" - AND I would buy 4Gig-by-3Sticks memory to be able to expand from 12Gig to 24Gig if needed
                        For my home hobbyist, family movies (which means that I am not trying to recreate Star Wars with video effects or many layers) AVCHD editing is "as smooth as spreading warm butter on hot toast" (also the MP4 video from wife's Flip camera)
                        My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                        1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all programs
                        2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video projects
                        3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

• 9. Re: Am I an idiot or just stupid ? Can't Import Clips
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>told me this 6 months ago

Added... viewing a file and editing a file are VERY different things

When you view a file (Windows Media Player, or whatever you use) it is like getting in your car to drive to the store... no special tools needed

When you edit a file (especially AVCHD) it is like taking the transmission out of your car to change the gears for more towing torque or a higher top speed... MANY special tools needed

• 10. Re: Am I an idiot or just stupid ? Can't Import Clips
                            MoSkiLuv Level 1

Thanks to everyone for responding... I'm really getting a good education and good idea of what goes on when you record/edit/ and deal with video files

I reckon tht's why everyone gets the mac, you don't need to know why :-)  until you're not happy with it and and need to find out what's actually going on..

I guess I'll have to save my money for a faster/more powerful machine

this apple intermediate codec is reallly getting on my nerves...