12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2011 7:32 PM by the_wine_snob

Need help editing

DanBrasil Level 1

Hello, I'm trying to make a quick zoom in and zoom out process in a certain part of my clip, about 5 seconds long (time between starting to zoom in, stops zooming in, starts zooming out and stops zooming out ending the zoom process with the clip back to its regular view) and I'm not managing to do it right. The problem is that when I zoom in I'm not able to zoom it to the point of the image tha I want, wich is not in the center of the frame I've looked for videos here about this subject but I didn't find one. Its a very short clip and I also stretched its duration a bit, so it has a litlle slow-mo too. But I don't think this stops me from zooming in and out... does it? Can someone help me with this, please?

I apreciate any attempt.

• 1. Re: Need help editing
          cvid01 Level 4

If I understand you correctly, one method of changing a portion of the video is to duplicate the video layer, and on the top layer add a garbage matte. Alter the garbage matte to surround the area you wish to zoom in, etc., then using keyframes zoom it in our out for that particular segment.

Play around to see what you can do.

There are probably other ways, but this might be one method. Hope this is what you wanted.

• 2. Re: Need help editing
            DanBrasil Level 1

Ok, I'm gona take some time to try it out and I'll report back a.s.a.p.!

Thanks for helping.

• 3. Re: Need help editing
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In your stated situation, you are doing a Zoom, and also need to do a Pan too.

These are both done with the fixed Effect>Motion>Scale (Zoom), and Motion>Position (Pan). Just Keyframe both, and you will have exactly what you want.

If you already have the Zoom right, just add Motion>Position Keyframes to get to the point that you want, in your Frame, where the Zoom pauses. You can see those Keyframes, and just line up the Position Keyframes on them, then make the necessary settings adjustments.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Need help editing
                DanBrasil Level 1

I'm sorry but I'm not managing to get it done. Can you please describe it step by step including comands, keyboard shortcuts etc. starting by duplicating the clip. Because I'm only being able to do duplicate it in the project window, where all the clips are, and not directly in the sequence or timeline.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Need help editing
                  DanBrasil Level 1

I was hoping you would answer Hunt! hahahahaha. No ofense to anybody else, ofcourse. I'm going to try it right away and I'll let you know the result a.s.a.p.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Need help editing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm only being able to do duplicate it in the project window, where all the clips are, and not directly in the sequence or timeline.

You will find everything that you need in the Effects Control Panel.

Just Select the desired Clip in the Timeline, and look in the Effects Control Panel. If you do not see it's mini-Timeline, then click on the expansion arrows, in the upper-right. There, you will see the Fixed Effects, such as Motion, Volume (if the Clip has Audio) and Opacity, etc.. Go to Motion, and click on the downward-facing arrow, to the left.That will twirl open Motion, where you will see Scale and Position. Position the CTI (Current Time Indicator) to the first Frame. Toggle ON Keyframe Animation via the Stopwatch. This will apply a Keyframe for the Scale that you have now - shoud be 100% (not totally necessary, unless you wish to start the animation at that point, but I like to do my animations with that first Keyframe). Now, move the CTI to where you want the Zoom to start and Add another Keyframe. This will be the starting point of your Zoom. Move to where you want the Zoom to stop, and Add Keyframe. Adjust its settings to suit. Move the CTI to where you want the Zoom Out to start, and Add Keyframe. Move to where you want the the Zoom Out to end, and Add Keyframe, adjusting its setting to 100%,or whatever you desire.

You will basically do the same, for the middle Keyframes, in Position for the Pan.

Note: you have added Linear Keyframes, and might like to "smooth" things out a bit. Explore Ease Out and Ease In, plus Bezier Velocity setting for your Keyframes. Just Rt-Click a Keyframe, and choose from the drop-down.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Need help editing
                      DanBrasil Level 1

Great that realy is what I was after! But only one thing I didn't get in your answer is that I need to make it gradual so it goes slowly zooming in, stops and then goes slowly zooming out. I still didn't out how do manage that. I don't mean to abuse but, would you mind helping me with this too?

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Need help editing
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a look at the Effects Control Panel, with its mini-Timeline, plus the Animation toggle Stopwatch. Note: this is from PrPro 2.0, but should be almost identical to the ECP in CS5:

Keyframing_Stopwatch_01.jpg

Hope that this helps and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Need help editing
                          DanBrasil Level 1

Sure does help and it looks exactly the same as CS5, except that mine is a darker grey! hahahahahhaaaa. Only thing is I'm still in doubt about managing the time lapse, duration, speed of the zooming in and out process. I know it says "velocity: 0.0/second" in there, I just didn't get how it flows, how I input the amount of time it takes to zoom in, how long it stays in the zoom and how long it will take to zoom out.

Sorry for the trouble I'm giving you man.

Thanks.

• 10. Re: Need help editing
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Right now, do not worry with the Velocity Graph. You can explore that later, and will not need to do anything there for now.

The placement of the Keyframes on the Effects Control Panel's mini-Timeline will determine how long, or short, your "ramp" is. Same thing with the duration of your "pause."

Once you haved added your Linear Keyframes, go back to your Timeline, and you'll see a red line above your Clip. Use the WAB (Work Area Bar) to limit Render (move the little "handles" to the In and to the Out Ponts of your Clip, then hit Enter/Return. Let the Render complete, and then hit the Spacebar to playback that Zoomed Clip. Study the speed of the Zoom, and especially how the Zoom both begins and ends.

For Lesson 2, go back to your ECP's mini-Timeline, with the Keyframes. Look at your Zoom - there should be a "ramp" to a "plateau," then a "ramp" down. Go to the first Keyframe at the beginning of the Zoom's ramp, and Rt-click on it. Choose Ease Out. Now, go to the Keyframe on the left of your "plateau," Rt-click and choose Ease In. At the end of the "plateau," Rt-clcik on that Keyframe and choose Ease Out. For the Keyframe at the end of your "ramp" to Zoom back out, Rt-click and choose Ease In. Render again, and see how that changes the start and end of each part of your animation. Also, when you do that, you will see the Linear Keyframe "diamonds" change to "hourglasses." There will also be smoothing on the graph of the animation. I think you will like Ease Out/Ease In better than Linear.

Remember also, there are two arrowheads, besides the New Keyframe circle. Those will step you back (the arrowhead on the left) one Keyframe at a time, and step you forward (the arrowhead on the right) one Keyframe at a time. That makes it very easy to hit Keyframes perfectly.

With that knowledge, you can then address Position. I'd go to the line for the Scale, and with those arrowheads, locate the CTI at the first Keyframe where your ramp starts. Then go to the Position line, and toggle animation ON, placking a Keyframe there. Go back to the Scale line, and move the CTI to the next Keyframe, the one on the left side of your plateau at the end of the Zoom In ramp. Drop to the Position line, and Add Keyframe. Set the Position coordinaes (you can click-scrub, or click then type in the coordinates). Do the same with the right side of your plateau, and then for the bottom of the Zoom Out ramp. This will time the Pan to match with the Zoom. Try Ease Out and Ease In there too, after you test the Linear Pan.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Need help editing
                              DanBrasil Level 1

Perfect! What a lesson! Thanks a lot Hunt. Actualy, just can't thank you enough. I'm still newbie with the acronyms of this software like WAB or CTI but even those details you thought of explainig.

Thanks again.

Reeeealy apreciated it.

• 12. Re: Need help editing
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

As I spend some amount of time on the PrE forum, I try to either keep the jargon to a minimum, or to explain. However, I still forget, and have to drop back by with a Rosetta Stone.

Once you get the hang of Keyframing, you will never look back. Even where there are Presets, like Roll/Crawl in Titler, I never use them. Keyframing can do all of that, and with much more control. One's got to get creative to get the Default Roll to pause, and then continue. As you saw with Zoom and Pan, that is easy with Keyframes.

Now it's time for lesson two - many (most?) Effects can be Keyframed, as well. For those that cannot, a bit of creativity will cover most of them. The Keyframing is exactly the same. Do you see why I did not mind giving you the step-by-step. That will translate to so much power all over the place.

Now, I mentioned changing the Keyframes from Linear to other. The Help Files do a good job in telling you all about those other options. The Adobe Classroom in a Book Premiere Pro CS5, Adobe Press, goes into some useful exercises with the other options. Once you have your Project out the door, Open it up, on a stormy Saturday, and do a Save_As, so you are not working in the original Project, but a "copy" of it. Revisit those Keyframes, and explore the other options available, when you Rt-click on each Keyframe. Also note: for many of those setting, though not all, you can use the Cursor to "lasso" a bunch of Keyframes, and can then Rt-click on one, and adjust them all. Remember to Render between each change, so you can clearly see what has happened. Watch your Keyframe icons, and also your graphs, so that you can learn what they are telling you. As you change the Interpolation of the Keyframes, the graphs will likely change too. Notice when you change from Linear Keyframes to some others, that Handles sprout on them.These can be click-dragged on, like an Anchor Point's Handles in a Path, or Vector Art.

OK, that's enough for now. Please spend some time with the Help Files, and I do recommend the Adobe CiaB too. Lot of great and useful details there.

Good luck,

Hunt