5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2011 6:18 AM by JesseHarris

Quick color fix?

Karel Bata Level 1

Got a prob with an edit in AE. Some stuff was shot with White balance set to auto (I would guess from when the camera was used in stills mode). Aargh! At a couple of points the color values jump. At one point it's perfect. I can isolate the separate sections easily. Is there a quick way to adjust the color of the 'wrong' sections to match the one that is right? Like, use a white wall (there is a white wall) as a color sample..?

Cheers!

• 1. Re: Quick color fix?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Give the Color Stabilizer effect a shot:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a9d3c597-7bc9 a.html

And I urge you to read the directions; they'll help.

• 2. Re: Quick color fix?
            Karel Bata Level 1

Thanks Dave. That sounds perfect!

Hmm... I could use that with some time-lapse flicker probs I've been having.

• 3. Re: Quick color fix?
              JesseHarris Level 1

Karel,

Don't mean to butt in on your thread, (and by the way I've used the Color Stabilizer for your type of problem, excellent tool).  I've found a technique to help with t/l flicker. 

It's a painful, painstaking, frame-by-frame process, but it reduces exposure/aperture flicker, either eliminating it, or reducing it to the point where a plug-in like GBdeflicker can be very effective.  Under the assumption you're shooting your sequences in raw, you can re-import the entire sequence as another layer in the same AE comp.  Adjust your fill light, recovery and lastly exposure for the amount of flicker, (you can also compensate for a change in over-all exposure this way too).  I tend to go too much in either direction, then compensate for the "amount" of correction in your comp with opacity on the correction layer.  Gosh I hope I'm being clear about this.  Basically you want the second layer on top of your original footage and control the amount of flicker correction you need by keyframing opacity from section to section or frame by frame on the upper layer as necessary.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Quick color fix?
                Karel Bata Level 1

Jesse,

Thanks. I think I'm likely to be doing a mix of both.

I was originally thinking of using the color values (from the window top right) but they don't take account of grain variations. So I was going to duplicate the layer, apply a blur, then read off the value, make a note of how much adjustment was required between sections, then apply that to the next section in the unblurred layer. Then later go back and visually tweak. But the color stabiliser will hopefully negate the need for that.

Now get this! I'm doing this in S3D, so there's TWO video streams to deal with, each with their own probs.

Still, it puts you in the category of being part of a minority that knows how to fix these probs. Best avoiding them in the first place of course!

• 5. Re: Quick color fix?
                  JesseHarris Level 1

Karel,

You ARE at the vanguard!  My brain has been tickled by the possibilities of 3d, but haven't had the time, (or the brainpower) to properly suss it out.  Bravo.  Maybe you'll post here or at Timescapes.org someday about how you're doing it...  I believe the Color Stabilizer is the tool for your issue, I used it to match sections of t/l footage varying in exposure, and therefore density and color so...  Good luck!

Anyhow, seems you're familiar with the technique I mention, I hadn't seen it written about so I wasn't sure if people were using it or not.  Even though it seems pretty obvious!

All the best,