6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2011 10:57 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Pro CS5 Crashing on Playback

lholoubek

I just installed Premiere Pro.  Premiere starts up just fine, imports footage fine, etc. I can drop footage into the source monitor and scrub through it fine. However, as soon as I tap spacebar (or hit play), the program crashes. I can drag footage into the timeline, but the program crashes when I try to play there as well. Sometimes a few seconds of the audio can be heard before crashing, but it crashes every time. I've tried to diagnose the issue (hours of Googling and searching these forums, uninstalling codecs, etc.)

I'm trying to edit .MOV footage from a Canon T2i. I'm under the impression that CS5 can handle .MOV natively.

My video card is weak and outdated, and I was expecting the video to lag a little bit, but not to crash the program completely.

Q6600 2.4ghz quad-core

1.5tb 7200rpm, 250gb 7200rpm (for scratch disks)

6gb ram

Windows 7 64bit

Nvidia 8400gs with updated drivers

Any thoughts?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashing on Playback
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Is that two physical HDD's that you have?

Are both internals, and if not, what is the connection speed for any external?

The MOV files are probably H.264 from that camera (if I read the specs. correctly), so PrPro can edit those natively.

With any H.264 material, your CPU is at the lower end of the spectrum, though some users have gotten Quad-core CPU's to handle H.264, just not that smoothly.

With Win7-64, your RAM is just over enough to run the OS, and is very light.

Though this ARTICLE begins talking about BSOD's, which you did not indicate that you had experienced, there are many links down-thread, and the "Clean, Lean, Mean Editing Machine" link might be useful for tuning the computer for editing work. In that article, be sure to see the the links to Black Viper's Win7-64 Tune Up Tips.

If you are still getting crashes, there is an article link on "Finding Clues" and then one on "The Case of the Unexplained," that might prove helpful.

Good luck, and for now, just skip over the beginning, where I talk about BSOD's. I'm only posting the link to it, because it has many useful links inside.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashing on Playback
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Have you tried any other types of footage? Something plain Jane like DV (AVI or MOV, doesn't matter)? The Canon HDSLR material is pretty taxing stuff, but it alone shouldn't cause a total crash.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashing on Playback
              lholoubek Level 1

Thanks for all of the suggestions and quick replies.  I have installed the 5.0.3 update. No improvement.  I've also dropped in smaller .mov files (from a little handheld cam), and these produced the same crashing problem. I was able to edit those videos with CS3 on the same machine.  I have tried .avi and even .3gp files, all of which cause the same error. (the .3gp was only a 2mb clip).  If I select the audio track in my source monitor, the files will play and I can hear the audio for the entire clip-Premiere only crashes when trying to play video files.

The big files from the T2i will play in After Effects.  I'm guessing the conflict exists between Premiere Pro and my junky video card. I don't have alot of money to put into the machine, but I'm looking at a an Nvidia Gt 440 card that supports CUDA.  Is it possible that this will help my problem? What about installing additional codecs? If not, is there a free codec I could convert the H.264 clips to that would edit better with Premiere? The native support for files from my T2i was one primary reason for the upgrade to CS5.

In the future I plan on investing in a better, more modern machine. However, the projects I'm interested now only involve a few minutes of final product: basically small edits from home videos and such.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashing on Playback
                Colin Brougham Level 6
                I'm guessing the conflict exists between Premiere Pro and my junky video card. I don't have alot of money to put into the machine, but I'm looking at a an Nvidia Gt 440 card that supports CUDA.  Is it possible that this will help my problem?

Well, I don't think that's probably the case--at least, not the card itself. There are (likely) plenty of people using the same or a similar card, or even ATI cards without this issue. You mentioned you updated the drivers--did you get the latest from Nvidia or from the card manufacturer? Also, have you tried updating your audio drivers? Odd as it may seem, out of date audio drivers have been the source of bizarre playback issues, though usually not crashing issues.

Spending more money on a card that isn't officially supported for hardware MPE is probably not the best move right now; you're certainly welcome to try that, but I wouldn't recommend it.

What about installing additional codecs? If not, is there a free codec I could convert the H.264 clips to that would edit better with Premiere? The native support for files from my T2i was one primary reason for the upgrade to CS5.

No, don't install additional codecs. You can convert the MOVs to something like DV AVI if you want (even AME will do this), but we still haven't established what the cause of the crash is. Seeing how you had crashes with other clips (you didn't mention what the AVIs are from), I doubt that it is something specific to the files and format of them.

Do you receive an error message of any sort? Or does Premiere just go *poof*?

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashing on Playback
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When you checked the Event Viewer (instructions in the above linked article), what sort of warning and error messages were you getting, when the program was crashing? Might be some useful clues in those messages.

Good luck,

Hunt