11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2011 6:41 AM by escolasertcoac

Improve the speed of export

escolasertcoac Level 1

Hello, greetings to everyone, I have installed Premiere Elements 9 and a query to you.
      My Settings hardware and software is:
      Windows 7 64 bit
      Premier Elements 9
      Intel i7 2.94 gh
      8 MB RAM
      ATI Radeon HD 5500 series
      HD 1 TB 7200

The hard drive is almost empty and fully defragment.

The first problem I find when exporting video (shared)
      The video released last 120 minutes, is a 4 to 720 x 576 mpg, and exports to 720 x576,quicktime, Pal DV, H.264 codec.

Well, when I export (share) the processor i7 be working at 60%. RAM to 30%, but takes2 hours , how can it be? I have a computer powerful? How can I improve the speed of export items Premiere 9?
      Thank you

Carles

• 1. Re: Improve the speed of export
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You are actually getting a pretty good export speed, Carles.

The biggest challenge is that you are using an H.264/MP4 input, which the program must convert to an intermediate format before outputting your new file. (You can't smart-encode MP4.)

What kind of camcorder is your video coming from? When you add the clips to your timeline, is there a red line above them? It's possible that using a more appropriate project preset can improve your performance speed.

However, this is only true if the camcorder source is one that Premiere Elements supports (i.e., Flip camcorder). MP4 video from still cameras or from most other pocket camcorders are is not supported and you will not likely be able to improve the program's performance with it.

• 2. Re: Improve the speed of export
            escolasertcoac Level 1

Thank you Steve, the clip does not come from any camera, if not a screenshot, I can do sometimes is to capture uncompressed DV format, so you can editbetter.

On the other hand I'm going crazy to export to mpeg4, mp4 or avi and select theH.264 codec mpg4 or, Where is the option?.
            I think I can do just as quick time, choosing PAL DV and H.264 codec, but a clip of 120 minutes at 720x576 has a final size of 14 gb!

The Premiere CS5, there is an option, choose mp4 with H.264 codec and thesame sample has a final size 425 mb.

How do I export video mpg4 or grandfather with the H.264 codec with Premiere Elements?
            Thank you again

• 3. Re: Improve the speed of export
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, Carles.

Does your program include the option to output your video to DV-AVI? If so, that would be a much more efficient video format for loading into Premiere Elements.

Are you editing your video in Premiere Elements or just trying to use Premiere Elements to output your video?

And where do you plan to display your final video output? On the internet? On a DVD?

As I have said, there may be a better and faster way to work with your video. But until I know what you're doing and how you plan to display your video, I can't make any recommendations.

• 4. Re: Improve the speed of export
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>HD 1 TB 7200 

You should also have at least 2 hard drives... separate drives, not partitions

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all programs
                2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video projects
                3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write
                Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
                You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
                One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Improve the speed of export
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With Export/Share, normally the biggest bottleneck is the I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's, their speed, controller type and how they are used.

With H.264 (any flavors), the CPU becomes very important, and especially for Encoding/Decoding, becomes more important, than the I/O.

The RAM then comes in as the third culprit, with Windows Page File behind that, especially without a full MoBo of RAM.

As a CPU upgrade, say to an i7-980, would be both very expensive and likely a new MoBo, even if it provided the most BftB (Bang for the Buck), it's not that viable. Adding 1, or better 2, additional, physical HDD's, and spreading the I/O load over them, would be my first step here (a RAID 0 for both the media drive and the Export destination drive would improve I/O speed), but also along with filling the MoBo with RAM, to keep the Windows Page File from being used. Locating that Page File away from the main I/O processing, plus setting it up as statically managed, are the first things that I do with a new computer. Still, with loads of RAM, it becomes a "bit-player" in a 64-bit OS.

Tuning the computer and OS would also be high on my list of things to do, and this ARTICLE will give you some tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Improve the speed of export
                    escolasertcoac Level 1

Hi Steve, thank you for your support.

Forgive for my English because I am using a translator to compose this so bad.

About me questions:

• I use Premiere Elements to edit and export video.
                    • I know it is best to use DV video avi for editing in Premiere Elements.

My problem is when exporting: export need to "avi"or "mp4", used codec "H.264" codec or "mpg4" and can not find this option.

The option I found is to export "quick time", "PAL DV" and codec "H.264", but the result is a video of 120 minutes and 14 GB, is too big !!!.

I want this format to upload video to Vimeo without the Vimeo re-encode the video, but can not find it in Premiere Elements.

Can you tell me how to export a video to "PAL DV"or "mp4" used codec"H.264" codec or "mpg4".

Thank you for everything

• 7. Re: Improve the speed of export
                      escolasertcoac Level 1

Many thanks to John T Smith and Bill Hunt for your replies, I see that videoediting is very important to have a good configuration of hard disks.

See you soon

• 8. Re: Improve the speed of export
                        nealeh Level 5

First go to Share> Computer> AVI. Then select [Advanced] and choose your preferred Video Codec.

1.png

And if you start with Share> Computer> Quicktime> Advanced you also have codec options including H.264:

2.png

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Improve the speed of export
                          escolasertcoac Level 1

Hi Nealeh, Thanks for your reply.

Seeing your screen      shot, I have found where the problem does not make me leave thesame codecs that you, look my screen shot:

captura.jpg

Do you know what I install them?
                          Thank you

• 10. Re: Improve the speed of export
                            nealeh Level 5

I've only ever purposely installed the Lagarith Lossless Encoder. Others have been installed as part of a new software I've installed. Try the QuickTime options - they offer much better ways for you to control the output and I think they will please you.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Improve the speed of export
                              escolasertcoac Level 1

Thank you very much