8 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2011 1:52 AM by Mohammad Tahseen

Project tab not marking all used images/titles as "Used"

kjm33

My PE9 project does not have a tick in the Used column on the Project tab for all stills/titles that are actually used.  If I try to delete a still that does have a tick in the column I get a warning that it will also be deleted from the timeline.  If however I delete a still that does NOT have the tick I get no such warning, but if I then click on that still on the timeline (because it was actually in use)  Adobe gets an error and shuts down.  Is there any way I can get it to refresh the list of what is used and not used so I can accurately remove unused files from the Project?

• 1. Re: Project tab not marking all used images/titles as "Used"
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This appears to be a bug in the program.

I recommend you make Adobe aware of it.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/673558?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Project tab not marking all used images/titles as "Used"
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Some PrPro CS5 users have reported similar. It appears that for some reason, the Used marks (they are numbers of usage in PrPro) are not always working. Bummer, as I use the Used Column for both Audio & Video often, and often use Delete Unused from large Projects. I need to be much more careful, when I upgrade both programs.

Thanks for pointing this out and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Project tab not marking all used images/titles as "Used"
              Mohammad Tahseen Adobe Employee

Hi Kjm33,

Generally whenever different panels are clicked, it starts by refreshing everything. So one workaround could be click on some other view and then come back to project view in order to refresh this view. Even if tick mark is not coming and if asset is being used on timeline, then this has to be a bug in PRE. If you have reported a bug for this, please let me know and if not, please do so. Also tick does not enable or disable quickly depneding on if it is on timeline or not, and view needs to be clicked once in order to refresh.

Please let me know the type of assets for which you are seeing this issue and PRE crash issue in this case is more severe.

Thanks,

Tahseen

• 4. Re: Project tab not marking all used images/titles as "Used"
                kjm33 Level 1

Tahseen,

Since I made the last post I have not experienced this problem again.  I got around it at the time by going through the whole timeline, replacing each clip marked as Unused in the Project window with the correct clip from the Project window (i.e with the same clip) - that got them all marked as used and they stayed that way.  At the time PE9 was crashing all the time - but since I ran the BCDEDIT command to increase the app memory to 3gb the crashes stopped and everything is ok.  I've gone back to loving PE9 instead of looking at alternative software!  I'll post it as a bug if the problem resurfaces.

Regards,

Kitty

• 5. Re: Project tab not marking all used images/titles as "Used"
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Kitty,

Sounds like good news to me, and thanks for reporting.

As the Used marker is but a bit of XML code from the Project file (PREL), my guess would be that for whatever reason, that bit of code was either not written, or that PrE lost is somewhere, and maybe with the crashes. That code basically tells the Project Panel to display a character in the Used Column, and for whatever the reason, this last part was not being done for you.

It would have been an interesting test, to use Remove Unused, to see if the program was actually not recording the usage, or if it was just a display issue, between the PREL file and the Project Panel.

As others have not been screaming with the loss of the Used Column marker, I'd like to think that this issue was unique to your Project, or system.

In the end, that you are editing smoothly and not experiencing this issue is the good news, and we may never know what the cause of your earlier issue was.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Project tab not marking all used images/titles as "Used"
                    kjm33 Level 1

At the time, I did try removing (from the Project) a clip incorrectly marked as unused - there were no warnings and it left the clip on the timeline. However when I tried to then select that clip on the timeline the program crashed. Perhaps you can draw some inferences from that.

• 7. Re: Project tab not marking all used images/titles as "Used"
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for sharing that. Sounds like more than just the character in the Project Panel's Used Column.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Project tab not marking all used images/titles as "Used"
                        Mohammad Tahseen Adobe Employee

Thanks Kitty for responding and am glad to see that you are not facing the issue now. The main issue "incorrectly marked as unused in the project panel" is the main concern here. Anyway please let us know the type of asset and project details if you see this issue anytime.

Thanks,

Tahseen