11 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2011 7:07 AM by peterhw1

Anybody solved this problem?

peterhw1

acrobat  failed to connect to a dde server

Adobe Reader just appeared to stop working - I had read a short pdf, closed ADOBE , then wanted to return and couldn't.

If I double click the ADOBE icon I get this message - I never get into ADOBE,

I down loaded the latest version (as of today Adobe X) - I think I already had that - I completed the re-install.

I tried several different PDFs

I tried doing back to an older version via the Windows 7 restore point

I have re-booted

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

• 1. Re: Anybody solved this problem?
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

I would start by removing all traces of all previous

versions of Reader by this method

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3350037#3350037

and then install the one I want to keep...

• 2. Re: Anybody solved this problem?
            peterhw1 Level 1

Thanks for your reply - a real struggle and seems to have partially solved the problem.

I followed the link you provided and eventually ran the program to remove install details - relating to 3 ADOBE products.

I then re-installed ADOBE X.

1. When I navigate to any directory with PDF's in there doesn't appear to be any direct association (maybe not the right description) but the is no ADOBE icon next to the file name (just a Microsoft default).
            2. If I double click on the original file I wanted to view, then ADOBE loads and the top navigation bar suggests there are 14 pages (as expected) but there is nothing loaded.
            3. In the bottom of page TOOLBAR there is a new application with a Microsoft default Icon - it is not the ADOBE icon but does 'point to' ADOBE (i.e takes me to the ADOBE application with 14 pages.
            4. I click the Icon - ADOBE FAILS TO RESPOND and I close the application.
            5. I've tried other ADOBE files (still no ADOBE icon) but they load.
            6. I re-iterate I originally loaded the file in question sucessfully ( and printed a page from it).

Really don't know what to do now.

• 3. Re: Anybody solved this problem?

As there is no Adobe software called "Adobe" (although there are several that include the word "Adobe" in their names), it would be useful if you could clarify if you are talking about Reader or some other Adobe program -Acrobat perhaps. It would also help to know what is your operating system. In the meantime, I will continue assuming that you are talking about the free Reader.

At first sight, I would say that you are experiencing at least a file associations problem. The exact way to correct this depends on the exact version of your OS, but it should be at least very close to this:

• Highlight the icon of a file you are sure is a PDF.
              • Right click on it and go to Properties.
              • Click on the "Change" button in the "Opens with" line, and choose Reader in the list that will be displayed. Make sure you also check the "change all" or similar option.

Let us know what happens when you try the above.

• 4. Re: Anybody solved this problem?
                peterhw1 Level 1

Thanks again for the interest.

I am running Windows 7 (Home edition)

I am referring to Adobe READER (free software for reading pdf's)

The association problem - was more to indicate something has not completed in the installation (but the error states the installation was not complete).

If I take a known PDF , right click, properties, then Adobe Reader and Reader Icon are already next to the CHANGE tab.  Non the less if I Hit Change then I get 1 option Adobe Reader - If I select, then OK, Apply and finally OK to exit - nothing appears to change.

• 5. Re: Anybody solved this problem?

Did you verify that the "change all" option was checked?

You hadn't mentioned before that you are being warned that installation was not completed. How, and from where, have you been trying to install Reader?

• 6. Re: Anybody solved this problem?
                    peterhw1 Level 1

I don't see a change ALL.

I go Properties, the file is shown , then below is the Adobe Reader Icon with the words Adobe Reader and a BUTTON called CHANGE. Another Window appears with 'A list of Recommended Programs' - containing1 item - ADOBE READER - select the item (ie changes color slightly) then hit the OK button - this returns to the previous window and I hit OK again.

Following from yesterday I ran the program you suggested.  I tried to install the new Adobe Reader (same as when new version is available).  This failed with the error I mentioned above.  I've tried to de-install using REMOVE PROGRAM from CONTROL PANEL.  (The folder are not removed).

I looks like some key is corrupted (from error)  which then won't allow anything to happen.

Could I just install another copy in a different folder - C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe_1 ?

I also have Norton 360 installed.

• 7. Re: Anybody solved this problem?

Under the list of reccomended programs you should see something like this:

Captura.JPG

(in your own language, of course). This is where my Win 7 is asking me if I want the selected program to always open this type of file...

Just in case, I would first click on the Examine... button and see if I am offered another version of Reader.

• 8. Re: Anybody solved this problem?
                        peterhw1 Level 1

Hi Claudio,

I don't seem to see what you see - so I have just ftp'd the following images

http://best-one.info/Own_Images/ADOBE_Problem_01.jpg

http://best-one.info/Own_Images/ADOBE_ERROR_1402_V2.jpg (with part of key blanked out)

• 9. Re: Anybody solved this problem?

Well, the lower part of the "Open with" window in your first image coincides exactly with the one I posted (language excluded). Whay happens when you click on the "Browse" button in that window? I am interested in knowing if you are offered more that one version of Reader when you do...

• 10. Re: Anybody solved this problem?
                            peterhw1 Level 1

Have been 'off the computer' for a few days.

Still not exactly sure what you expect to see.

I have uploaded these 4 images

http://best-one.info/Own_Images/ADOBE_Reader_problem_02A_Valid_Products.jpg

- shows product appearing by name in the START program list

http://best-one.info/Own_Images/ADOBE_Reader_problem_02B_no_Icon.jpg

- just shows a directory with a PDF file but no ADOBE READER Icon
                            http://best-one.info/Own_Images/ADOBE_Reader_problem_02C_Browse.jpg

- this shows the PROPERTIES, followed by CHANGE, follwed by BROWSE
                            http://best-one.info/Own_Images/ADOBE_Reader_problem_02D_Other_Programs.jpg

- this shows the PROPERTIES, followed by CHANGE, follwed by clicking on the dropdsown menu.

If I double click the file shown then ADOBE READER opens and displays the file.

The original file (different file altogether) opened once (and had the ADOBE READER Icon attached) then failed to open again.

• 11. Re: Anybody solved this problem?
                              peterhw1 Level 1

still failed to get product to work correctly (also could not print anything from ADOBE READER)

seem to have ....cured the problem  ........... downloaded version 9

ICONS are showing etc