12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2013 6:06 PM by pwillener

Why are there so many updates ?

tschrnr

It seems like every time I re-boot my machines, there is another Adobe update ... either Reader or Flash Player. And the update ALWAYS drops a fresh icon on my desktop. Does anyone else find this annoying ?

• 1. Re: Why are there so many updates ?
          SteveIsHere Level 1

Other posts on the Internet say the repeated updates are to patch security holes (

see krebsonsecurity.com/2010/02/security-updates-for-adobe-reader-acrobat and forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2100833). That might be the case (although I've always suspected Adobe just wants to put their brand in front of us).

In either case (i.e., it's a purpetual security hole or a marketing ploy), I've had it. I’m removing Adobe Reader and installing Foxit Reader. Enough!

• 2. Re: Why are there so many updates ?
            pwillener Level 8

The following updates were released this year:

• 2011-04-21: Adobe Reader 9.4.4
            • 2011-04-14: Flash Player 10.2.159.1
            • 2011-03-21: Adobe Reader 9.4.3
            • 2011-03-21: Flash Player 10.2.153.1
            • 2011-02-28: Flash Player 10.2.152.32
            • 2011-02-08: Flash Player 10.2.152.26
            • 2011-02-08: Adobe Reader 9.4.2

It is really not that many, althoug Flash Player was updated three times during Feb & Mar, due to security issues.

• 3. Re: Why are there so many updates ?
              tschrnr Level 1

I'm not talking about new releases, I'm talking of frequent security updates or patches of Adobe products. I could keep track of them for you except that I'm frustrated enough to have uninstalled Reader. I've used FoxIt Phantom and recently switched to their reader as well.

• 4. Re: Why are there so many updates ?
                SteveIsHere Level 1

That's a release a month! Can you imagine if all of the software on our PC's was updated monthly? And worse yet, imagine if all of them installed application icons on the Desktop?

• 5. Re: Why are there so many updates ?
                  pwillener Level 8

Microsoft does monthly updates of their software,so what's wrong when other software vendors do it as well?

• 6. Re: Why are there so many updates ?
                    SteveIsHere Level 1

Microsoft doesn't do monthly update for one product (e.g., Word).

It's fine that you feel the number is reasonable. But accept that a lot of us do not. Try a Google search on why are there so many acrobat updates and you'll see many folks don't. It's interesting that you're defending the number, when so many folks are bugged by it. I think one of the frustrations is that the updates always reinstall an Acrobat icon on the desktop, and most folks launch Acrobat by clicking on a document and don't start the app first and then open a doc. I probably won't be as bugged if the icon didn't appear every month. It's an annoyance. FWIW, I'm a software vendor and I understand the need to install updates. But we don't do them monthly and we don't re-add our icon to the desktop.

• 7. Re: Why are there so many updates ?
                      pwillener Level 8

As with Microsoft, you can disable automatic updates, and you decide when you want to install updates.  I personally have all auto-updates and update notifications (Flash Player) disabled; I just install them manually - usually on the day when updates are released.

As for the icon, I personally like it on the Desktop, and most of the time I open the Reader via this icon.

However, I understand and appreciate that many people do not like it.  It is unfortunate that the installer does not give you a choice in that.

But this discussion about the Desktop icon has been going on for years in this forum, and nothing will ever come of it unless someone tells Adobe to change it → https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 8. Re: Why are there so many updates ?
                        tschrnr Level 1

Frankly, I don't care whether *you* like the the desktop icon ... I DON'T !!!  On updates, the user's machine is already configured. And many desktops are already cluttered, so why add to it ?  (Hint: FoxIt Reader gives you a choice, even on a new install)

For some of us, it's common to interact on a dozen or more PCs each week. And some users never install updates themselves. So multiply a small irritation by dozens of machines. An independent contractor can advise, but *must* request permission to install updates. Which gets this question from users: "Why so many updates ?"

• 9. Re: Why are there so many updates ?
                          mjscox

PC users aren't the only ones: we mac users get just as many Flash update notices, and it is frustrating to have to stop and quit the browser, wait for the download, etc. If there are so many holes in security in Flash, develop something else that works and is more secure!

• 10. Re: Why are there so many updates ?
                            happyhappy_joyjoy

But this discussion about the Desktop icon has been going on for years in this forum, and nothing will ever come of it unless someone tells Adobe to change it → https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

please explain how we can contact adobe to complain about ANYTHING - the web site leads you in circles, that link you posted takes me to reporting a bug. God knows, i don't want to do that - that would incur further updates. and apparently no one mans the phones in customer service dept. and as far as i can tell, they don't read forum posts at all.  if they did, there wouldn't be multiple forums all dealing with it.

i see you like to categorize flash updates versus reader updates in some attempt to mitigate the issue. i have multiple adobe products and they all require entirely too much time updating.

if it is an auto updater issue, can you include direction on how to adjust prefs for mac?

thanks!

• 11. Re: Why are there so many updates ?
                              DJKArbScrName

I totally agree, I just created a Group Policy to block Acrobat updater on all my machines at home.  Sorry Adobe but Acrobat is just NOT important enough to waste my time updating more than once or AT MOST twice a year.  The odd thing is the Adobe products that actually ARE important (I've got the full Creative Suite) don't update nearly as often - weird.

• 12. Re: Why are there so many updates ?
                                pwillener Level 8

Adobe Reader (and Acrobat) updates every 3 months.