8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2011 6:15 AM by donomichael

sd dvd quality issue

donomichael

Hi

I am outputing hd footage to sd on dvd. The issue I have is the sd footage is not great quality. I have using dell I7 4 g ram . The footage is from a sony Z5.  I am burning to dual layer dvd. The project is 3.5 hours long. What can I do to increase the quality of  sd dvd output ? The blue ray output is excellent.

thanks

michael

• 1. Re: sd dvd quality issue
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are a number of reasons you may be having issues, Michael.

1)Your camcorder is a professional HDV camcorder which may not be fully compatible with Premiere Elements. Were you able to use Premiere Elements to capture the video over a FireWire connection?

2) When you started your Premiere Elements project, did you select the project preset for HDV video? This is vital to a quality, successful project. If your project is properly set up, when you add clips to your timeline, there will NOT be a red line above the clips until you add effects to them. Is this the case in your project?

3) A DVD is, by definition, standard definition video, which uses less than one-fourth the number of pixels as HDV. So a DVD is never going to look as clean or as detailed as hi-def video.

4) A dual-layer DVD has a capacity of about 140 minutes at full quality. You are trying to fit over 200 minutes of video onto the disc, which means that the program must greatly reduce the quality level to fit your entire movie on an overloaded disc.

• 2. Re: sd dvd quality issue
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please give us all of steps from editing to authoring. Settings can be very important.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: sd dvd quality issue
              donomichael Level 1

Steve

Thanks for the reply. The video is captured in hd through a firewire connection. I have matching setting on camera and in project. The quality is perfect when outputted to Blu ray. The project was set to HDV. I know the dvd is less quality then the blu ray but the quality is poor for dvd. I created a  10 clip  for loading to up utube . The footage is in hd and I outputted it to PAL DVD widescreen. The mpeg was of a vintage car rally. The problem was that the as the cars  leave the  screen  they jump started to jump. While the cars are still picture is fine. When I look capture file it is perfect.

michael

• 4. Re: sd dvd quality issue

It still could the issue I indicated:You are trying to squeeze too much video onto a DVD disc. The program must reduce the quality in order to squeeze it all onto the disc.

Though I"m not clear what you mean when you say "as the cars  leave the  screen  they jump started to jump." This could also be the result of sqeezing too much video on the disc.

Although, how are you playing this DVD and judging the quality? On a computer? On a standalone DVD player played through a TV?

• 5. Re: sd dvd quality issue
                  donomichael Level 1

steve

I take your point in board and am going to spilt the project in 2 (part 1 & 2). I will create dvd tonight and check quality. I am checking the quaity on my pc. I am using my pc (Nvidia Geforce GTS 240) and DEll 22" full hd screen. The other issue regarding creating the file of the vintage cars for upload to utube is when the cars are moving on the screen they look like they are shaking. In then distance they look ok but as they get near and pass by screen  this happens. Under the advanced option I have increased the qulity to max. This has improved the output a little.

michael

• 6. Re: sd dvd quality issue
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Remember, SD DVD played on a high-rez computer monitor is not the best judge of the actual quality of the material on disc.

At least with an HD TV and a newer BD player, there are usually chips that to an amazing job of up-rezzing that SD material for display on an HD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: sd dvd quality issue

The shaking issue is usually an indicator of a mismatch between project settings and source video.

Are you sure that, when you added your video clips to your project, there was not a red line above the clips?

I also recommend against judging the quality of a DVD by watching it on your computers. For one thing, computer screens are often much higher in resolution than TVs, so they can emphasize resolution issues. For another, DVD video is interlaced but computer video is not, and this can make your DVD's video exhibit a "comb" effect.

Try the DVD on a DVD player and play it on a TV. The results should look much better.

• 8. Re: sd dvd quality issue
                        donomichael Level 1

I re-created the project just under the 2 hour mark. The quality was very good. The 10 minute clip I recreated I will put on utube to see. I think it will be o.k.

thanks for help.

michael