9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2011 4:49 AM by Aniks

video background removal

RGB2CMYK2 Level 1

Is there any way that we can remove the background of a video in Premiere Elements?

It's like someone running around the park in the morning so the background is not solid color at all.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: video background removal
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several Keying Effects in PrE. How well they work, or which would work best, will depend on your footage.

Can you post a screen-cap showing the general look of your video? Then, someone should be able to point you to the right Effect, and likely settings, or perhaps point you to a much more sophisticated program, like Adobe AfterEffects CS5, with its RotoBrush for Keying non-green screen material.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: video background removal
            RGB2CMYK2 Level 1

2008113104211583.jpg

The video would be similar to the scene shown as above. I am trying to get rid of those trees and replace with buildings.Thanks!

• 3. Re: video background removal
              the_wine_snob Level 9

That was what I anticipated.

As you have so many colors, and densities in that background, I do not think that any of the PrE Keying Effects is likely to be of much use.

Take a look at this TUTORIAL for one possible solution, though not a cheap and not an automatic one. Here is another TUTORIAL.

I think that AfterEffects would be the perfect tool for doing what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: video background removal
                RGB2CMYK2 Level 1

Thank you so much! I wish Premiere Elements had the similar feature too.

• 5. Re: video background removal
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, had the couple been shot against a large green cyc, then PrE would do a pretty fair job at Keying them out. Had the background been much more even and more uniformly darker, than the runners, or their clothing, it would have been able to help. As is, that background creates so very many problems.

Good luck, and maybe someone has a tip, or two, that I am missing.

Hunt

• 6. Re: video background removal
                    Aniks Level 2

Well, on a lighter note.. if you have an entire day to yourself, you can use matte effect probably 8pt or 16pt matte effect, and then apply key-framing for every frame.

Although this is definitely very work extensive and depending on the length of your clip, can take more than a day.

• 7. Re: video background removal
                      RGB2CMYK2 Level 1

You are right. It definately takes more than a day and I am trying to avoid that lol. Thanks for the note!

• 8. Re: video background removal
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, even in our digital age, if one is doing true Rotoscoping (not using AE CS5's new RotoBrush) is horribly intensive. It is Frame by Frame editing. One would Export/Share the Timeline to a format, like FilmStrip, or as a TIFF Sequence, and then Open each Frame in Photoshop, where a Mask would be created for every Frame. Even with the advanced Selection Tools in Photoshop, this is a time-consuming task. When the Mask for each Frame has been done, one would Export each Frame out of PS, and Import as an Image Sequence back into PrE. If one has to do Rotoscoping, and they are good at using the Tools in PS, it will still probably take 30 mins. per Frame to create a near-perfect Mask. A two min. run would then require many hrs. to complete, as they would have to spend ~ 30 mins. for each of the 3600 Frames.

Originally, that type of Frame by Frame editing was used to add color to motion film, that was ONLY B/W then. Transparent dyes were added to each Frame by people with tiny brushes and strong magnifying loupes. There was even an order of Sisters in Italy, that specialized in hand painting color onto film, and could actually paint scenes onto the Frame, that did not exist. It did not take too long, before the film industy developed mattes w/ scenes to be shot "through" or "to," and then color film stock was developed. I do not know if that order moved onto doing tiny artwork, maybe for jewelery, or similar.

Now, the runners would just be shot on a giant greenscreen cyc, and electronically Keyed to be composited onto the urban cityscape. With the addition of the RotoBrush, it is not easier to Key out a background, than ever before, though there is still some work involved.

Personally, I'd think about doing a reshoot, in the area of town desired.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: video background removal
                          Aniks Level 2

Good Luck... And do post your workflow if you get a better way out...