9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2011 2:26 PM by Jim_Simon

Using a single source project in a multiuser shared storage environment

digitlman Level 1

I wanted to get some opinions on wether or not some adobe experts feel there would be any negative issues or problems with this type of workflow.

having several cs5 machines all on a shared fibre san system. all machines access the same projects and source materials and have their own internal drive containing the media cache and database. Then creating a single standard project with a sequence and bins and a few normally used files in it.

Then every time someone wants to start a new project they would load this "workflow" project in and then save it out to a different drive with the new project name and start editing from there.

I am concerned that not creating a new project every time that there might be something going on in the background with metadata or media cache or something strange that could cause any problems with copying the same project every time?

thanks!

• 2. Re: Using a single source project in a multiuser shared storage environment
          digitlman Level 1

Thanks, I missed a little bit of clarification there. we do not use macs, all our machines are windows 7. (really wish the forums were seperated for mac and pc)

also we are not using a networked multiuser environment. there is one standard user account that is the same on every machine and always used.

the main issue is that each machine has fibrechannel access to the same 36TB raid array. It is divided up into 4 drive letters that all show up the same on each machine.

we have been working this way for quite awhile already. it works, any machine can load any project and work on it. I am just wondering if it could be causing any of the different strange random problems we see from time to time.

we are actually in the process of upgrading all our machines from cs4 to cs5.

on of the main issues we have had so far is cfa files. when you load a project on another machine it makes a new cfa file even though there was one there already and it incremements the file#. some dirs i will look and there will be 12 cfa files for one clip. we set all our machines to save next to original in prefs.

i think that issue might be resolved in cs5 though. we are still trying to get converted over.

will there ever be a time we could put the media cache and database on the same shared drive that all machines look at? or is it that way now in cs5? cs5.5?

we have file-level san sharing setup so all machines can read and write at the same time and read the same files without any conflicts.

thanks!

• 3. Re: Using a single source project in a multiuser shared storage environment
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think this has anything to do with Mac -vs- PC

This has to do with trying to do anything on a network or "shared storage"

The point I was making in that message (which was seconded by an Adobe employee) is that no version of Premiere is DESIGNED to do anything at all using any kind of network

Premiere is only designed to have the program installed on a standalone computer (defaulting to the C: boot drive, since even installing do a different drive has caused problems for some people) and with all data files on drives directly connected to that computer, either internal or something like eSata or Firewire 800 for external

You may fool the program into working... but if you have problems, you are on your own as far as Adobe is concerned because you are operating outside of the design parameters and you are in untested territory (my words, not Adobe)

IF someone else is using the same setup and has figured out a way around any problems... and reads this message thread so they may post what they do, you will have someone to help... otherwise, no support from Adobe and no help from other users that don't work the way you work

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Using a single source project in a multiuser shared storage environment
              digitlman Level 1

thanks for the info, i am not actually that concerned with the fibre storage issue, we have been doing it for years and it has been just fine.

my question was actually about the workflow project, i want to know if anyone thinks it is a bad idea to make a single project and re-use it for every project you do by loading it and saving it as a new name. I wanted to know if there was any metadata or media cache issues that could arise from that process. As opposed to simply creating a new project from scratch every time.

• 5. Re: Using a single source project in a multiuser shared storage environment
                Jim_Simon Level 8

A lot of folks start with a project 'template' if you will, with precreated bins, sequences and commonly used graphics/titles.  Myself included.  I'm not aware of any issues with doing so.

• 6. Re: Using a single source project in a multiuser shared storage environment
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Like Jim, I also have several "template" Projects, set up for a particular client, or Project type. I have never had an issue. I just immediately do a Save_As, into the Client's root folder under the new Project's name, so as to not overwrite my "template." I also keep copies of the "templates" safely stored away, in case I slip up. Side note: I have similar for my Encore Projects too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Using a single source project in a multiuser shared storage environment
                    digitlman Level 1

great, thanks guys. I am surprised you have never had any problems with encore projects though? we tried a template

project with a menu we use and just changed the show each week and it was a bit of a nightmare in cs4 and had all kinds of strange problems w

ith things not working right, we would have to delete all the temp files and such to make it work. however just making a menu template and using it worked much better for us without any problems.

• 8. Re: Using a single source project in a multiuser shared storage environment
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

OK... understood... and I agree with Jim and Hunt

I have a Canon Vixia which records AVCHD... my wife uses a Flip with MP4

I have a blank project for each type of file, which I open and save-as as needed for new projects

• 9. Re: Using a single source project in a multiuser shared storage environment
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

The Encore problems are understandable, given the way the program works.  I always create those from scratch.  It's nothing to import a menu asset that gets reused.