2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2011 5:21 AM by BobLevine

Will Pagemaker 7 work with Windows 7 (on an iMac)?

Monica Marquez

I'm writing for my dad, 86, who has designed several books in Page Maker 7 on a PC running Windows XP. For his 5th book, he wants to switch to the iMac.

So he got an iMac with the Adobe Creative Suite 3 with InDesign. Unfortunately, despite classes and tutorials, he cannot master inDesign. It's just too difficult. Why does Adobe (and Microsoft Office and all the developers) feel the need to keep making the programs more difficult, but then flat out lie by saying they're actually easier?

So he's still using the pc with Page Maker and going back and forth from mac to pc for this photo or that font, and it's annoying and complicated.

How about this for a solution: What if I were to install Parallels and put Windows 7 on the iMac, and run Page Maker 7 there.

Here are my questions:

• Is the Page Maker 7 on his pc (which was installed several years ago) the same Page Maker 7 Adobe is offering here now?
      • Of course he can't FIND his original Page Maker 7 disks, so we have to purchase new ones.
      • Is he eligible for an upgrade price from Adobe, since he owns the earlier Page Maker and a full version of CS3?
      • Will the current Page Maker 7, available on the Adobe website, be compatible with Windows 7?
      • What other pitfalls am I likely to encounter by trying to do this?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer,

Monica

• 1. Re: Will Pagemaker 7 work with Windows 7 (on an iMac)?
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

Monica Marquez wrote:

Here are my questions:

• Is the Page Maker 7 on his pc (which was installed several years ago) the same Page Maker 7 Adobe is offering here now?
          • Of course he can't FIND his original Page Maker 7 disks, so we have to purchase new ones.
          • Is he eligible for an upgrade price from Adobe, since he owns the earlier Page Maker and a full version of CS3?
          • Will the current Page Maker 7, available on the Adobe website, be compatible with Windows 7?
          • What other pitfalls am I likely to encounter by trying to do this?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer,

Monica

Hello Monica. My replies in order:

• Yes.
          • Of course.
          • Almost completely sure that he is, if he has his complete serial number.
          • In theory, most definitely no. In practice, there are reports of successful instalations, almost always with some (or many) shortcomings.
          • Almost anything.
          • 2. Re: Will Pagemaker 7 work with Windows 7 (on an iMac)?
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If he really want to do this (and God bless him at his age) then install Windows XP in Boot Camp, instead.

That will give him a clean Windows install and effectively two machines in one. I'm not a fan of running virtual machines.

Bob