1 2 Previous Next 70 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 7:32 AM by rozel33

Noob Request For Exporting Help

rozel33

Hi

I took approximately 2.5 hours of video of my son's wedding last year using my 3CCD Panasonic NV-MX300 video camera and want to create an authored Bluray from the footage, which is spread over 3 DV Video tapes.

My basic principle was this: - to capture the footage as is to my PC and then edit it a little and do some work on parts of the sound which came out poor because I forgot to "zoom" the mic doh!  Then I simply wanted to Export the timeline in order that the "finished Video" can be authored in another program.

My work with Adobe Premiere CS5 is extremely limited but after watching some tutorials, I have managed to capture the 3 DV tapes and have 3 clips (the 3 full tapes) in my Project.  2 of these clips are roughly 10.5 Gb's each and another 13.7 Gb - so 35 Gb ish of captured footage.  I have placed these in the timeline and juggled bits of them into the right order using the Razor Edit Tool and have manged to increase the sound relative to the overall video in the half dozen sections which were "quiet".  From my point of view this has been a huge learning curve and I have come from knowing nothing about this program to this point in a matter of a few days.

So when I open my "saved" project, it opens exactly as I want it to and plays perfectly within Adobe Premiere's timeline.  The footgae has hardly been cut as I want the completed video as it was shot, save for the few bits I have cut and replaced elsewhere - for example there was a bible reading which I wasn't able to take properly at the time but managed to get the 2 participants to do it after the service and I have managed to place the reading into the exact part of the video as if it were shot during the service.  As I have said, I used the razor tool to do this by using in and out points then cutting the portion between the two points and then inserting it at the correct position in an earlier section of the timeline.  Using in and out points and the razor tool to create secondary clips within the 3 main clips was the technique I used to increase the volume within some of these secondary clips.  My timeline is now perfect for me but so far hasn't been rendered.  I am not sure what rendering is about and whether it is necessary to render the whole timeline before exporting.

I then tried to export the timeline.  I want quality footage, which is hardly any different to the original.  The video was shot Widescreen PAL at 720 x 576, 25 fps 32000Hz stereo - lower (these are the details from the "Exxport/Media" screen.

I do not want to degrade the quality so experimented the other day and exported to H262.Bluray 1440x1080, with 48000Hz stereo sound thinking this would give me a nicely sized video ready for Bluray authoring.  I used 2-pass encoding and after a small while the estimated time was going to be around 30 hours.

I am using a Quad 660 processor with Windows 7 64-bit.  My OS is within a RAID 1 setup and my scratch disk within a separate RAID 10 setup.  I wasn't overly concerned with this time as I wanted a quality output.  Last night after returning home from work, the encoding had completed but the Sequence01.m4v file came out at massively reduced and compressed at about 7.8Gb which wasn't what I expected at all and the quality was lousy breaking up, blocky and stuttering.  The sound wasn't there as obviously it was captured as a separate .wav file so I then decided to remux the two files in tsMuxer but the resultant .m2ts file played the sound ok but not the video which paused on the opening frame!

OK so maybe my export settings were hopeless.  Maybe I should have gone for an uncompressed Microsoft Avi file for export?

Before I experiment further maybe I can ask you guys with vastly more experience what I should do now please?

As I have said the timeline isn't rendered yet - does it have to be before exporting?  My requirements are simple - to have a single video/audio file with quality matching the original.  My concern isn't the time it takes to export, just so long as I end up with 1 video with synch'd sound ready to author.  In this latter respect I will use Menus and Chapter points for navigation - am sorry but Encore is beyond me so will be using a third party program I have used before and will include some slide shows too.  Previous authoring has been limited to 2xsingle layer dvd's and 1xdual layer dvd's.  This time I want to improve quality somewhat with an aim to play back on a bluray BD25 - with additional slideshows etc and music tracks to acompany the slide shows/menus, I was thinking of limiting the export to no more than say 15/20 Gb's but obviously more that the 7.8Gb achieved after my first attempt.

Thank you for reading this far - any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please bear in mind I do not now want to amend my timeline in any way as I have spent enough time on it already, so really need answers limited to improving the quality of my export.

TIA

Paul

• 1. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
          Keith_Clark Level 2

If your source footage is SD format, what are you hoping to gain by scaling it up to 1080? I've been doing many blu-rays with SD DV footage, and it seems to look ALOT better to just leave the video SD, and rely on the blu-ray player up-Rez chip to up-Rez it, which usually looks better anyway.

If I was You, i would burn this to a dual-layer DVD. In premiere, I would just export it as a Lagarith AVI(you can find this under the codecs drop down for Microsoft AVI), and import that into your other authoring program (if it is in WS format, it may need to be "interpreted" as WS in your authoring software), It should automatically transcode it to the best encoding size to fit the disc for you that way, and author it to DVD and not blu-ray. There's really no point in burning a SD production to blu-ray unless you have HOURS of footage to burn, or just simply want POP-up menu(but I would leave it at SD footage and not upscale it). And upscaling SD to full 1080 would usually make it look way worse than just relying on a good DVD/blu-ray players up-Rez chip for SD videos.

(to oversimplify it)Don't worry about rendering. Rendering is mainly for people who use heavy effects and want to see the effects on the timeline in real time. When you transcode it at the end, it will render while transcoding (basically).

ETA: a paragraph break, an other small afterthoughts

• 2. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

When starting with SD (Standard Definition) material, you have basically two choices:

• You can author to DVD, in a program, like Adobe Encore, and this will play on a DVD player, or computer with DVD software. If played on a BD player (or some later model DVD players) with up-rezzing capabilities, then processing chips in those players will do a pretty good job of up-rezzing, as those chips are designed just for that. The output WILL be better, than just playing the DVD on a DVD player, hooked to an SD CRT TV, but will NOT be full HD (High Definition). Better, but not BEST.
            • Another method is to author to BD (Blu-Ray Disc) in Adobe Encore again, and to use a program/plug-in, like Red Giant's Magic Bullet Instant HD. This will up-rez pretty well. Note that there are other such programs, but this one gets some pretty good reviews. Note: this will NEVER be as good, as if you had shot in HD to begin with, but might get you what you want.

Other methods, such as just Scaling up your SD footage in an HD Project, will never look THAT good.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Given that you are not a professional, I would recommend forgetting about the Blu-ray and just make a DVD.  Export out a Microsoft DV AVI file, bring that into Encore and author.  It will be the simplest path, and will provide acceptable quality.

• 4. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                rozel33 Level 1

Thank you everyone - these were the type of responses, I was looking for

I do understand the concept of upscaling but because I want to preserve quality and with the advent of BD25's and BD50's, I was hoping that maybe it would be possible to burn my finished project to one of these discs so as to take account of their bigger sizes.

I haven't seen reference to "Lagarith AVI" in my copy of  Premiere CS5 but I did manage to export the timeline to a Microsoft AVI using DV Pal Widescreen preset and I now have a lovely .avi file of about 35 Gb's which plays exactly as I'd hoped it would.  Took around 90 mins in all!!

Sorry but Encore is out as I have already explained as it's way too complicated for me right now - the learning curve as I have already said for Premiere to get this far has taken a lot of my time, which sadly I haven't got.  My Author program is third-party, I have used this before to make similar DVD's - my copy only burns up to HD DVD which went out before it really got going so I will look to upgrade it as I am aware the latest version includes exporting to BluRay.

Please do not misunderstand me - I don't want to try to make a silk purse from a sow's ear but want to preserve the quality of my "SD" footage, then add slide shows with music backgrounds, chapter points, Menus with vids and music etc etc which all makes for a greater sized output.  Thus keeping the export to 8.5 Gb will undoubetdly sacrifice quality somewhat.  My Video camera can hold it's own amonsgt the cheaper end of so called HD camcorders and people tell me that on my HD TV, they can hardly tell the difference between what they see and HD output, especially if I upscale on one of my DVD players.

But we are getting off the point of my original post - so right, I made a mistake trying to export at a higher resolution but now have what I need thanks to your help.

Now I will research how to export to one of the newer larger discs to take advantage of their larger sizes, not so as to export at a higher resolution.

Aim?  to have my finished project play back on a BD25 - I have a few BD RE 25's to play around with so as not to burn any expensive coasters.

Cheers

Paul

• 5. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                  Keith_Clark Level 2

OH! I'm an idiot. I didn't even think of high-bit SD output. If your 3rd party authoring program can handle separate video and audio tracks (is that called multiplexed? I dunno) you COULD export your timeline in premiere as an "h.264 bluray" file, make sure it stays as an SD output, and change the bitrate from "high" to "custom" and just rock the target bit-rate slider to about 33 mbps, and see how your total output is there then export. Try that for a high high quality SD production on blu-ray.

• 6. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Burning SD footage to a DVD disk or BD disk will make no difference regarding the quality of the video.

Making SD into HD is not a good option. You will not like the outcome.

If you want to make use of the large size of a BD disk that is fine but burn the SD footage as SD footage to the disk and let the BD player do the upscaling on a HD tv.

As Encore is out of the question export your timeline as MPEG2-DVD with the preset NTSC/PAL high quality widescreen and set bitrate to VBR 2 pass.

Check Use Max Render Quality, Mulitiplexer set to None and Audio to Dolby Digital.

This will give you two files: a m2v and an ac3.

Burn these to BD disk.

2.5 hours will probably also fit nicely on a DL dvd disk, use a dvd player with upscaling and footage will look just fine on a HD tv.

• 7. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                      Keith_Clark Level 2

Ann Bens wrote:

As Encore is out of the question export your timeline as MPEG2-DVD with the preset NTSC/PAL high quality widescreen and set bitrate to VBR 2 pass.

Check Use Max Render Quality, Mulitiplexer set to None and Audio to Dolby Digital.

This will give you two files: a m2v and an ac3.

hey Ann, quick question now that you bright this up. Im not at a workstation now, so I can't confirm, but isn't mpeg2 blu-ray high quality just at around 6mbps? (or is that just regular mpeg2?) and furthermore, doesn't mpeg2 blu-ray max out at 15mbps on SD footage? The reason I'm asking is isn't dv-avi around 25 or so mbps? Wouldnt the output file look better, to retain as closely to the source bitrate as possible? Or is that just a moot Point when dealing with mpeg compression beyond like 7 mbps? Ive just assumed that choosing h.264 and amping the bitrate up as high as the bd-spec/bd space will allow would be more visually pleasing (if I go to 1mbps it's less visually pleasing, so I just figure 23 mbps would be more visually pleasing :D ). with SD does it just stop mattering after a certain ceiling is hit? Wondering...

• 8. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help

Its not the bitrate that is the issue its the resolution, the picture quality. Going from 720x576/480 naar 1920x1080 is not a good idea doing that with software.

dvd upscaler can do a far better job.

• 9. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                          Keith_Clark Level 2

Ann Bens wrote:

Its not the bitrate that is the issue its the resolution, the picture quality. Going from 720x576/480 naar 1920x1080 is not a good idea doing that with software.

dvd upscaler can do a far better job.

I never mentioned HD. I said SD h.264. If one was to encode an h.264 blu-ray file at 720x576/480 and a bitrate of 25 Mbps, would that be more favorable than ANYthing mpeg 2 could do? Or as I said is there just a bitrate quality ceiling that stops to matter?
                          • 10. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help

Ah,misread.

H.264 might give a cleaner picture than mpeg2

Have not tried that route. Might give it a try.

• 11. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                              rozel33 Level 1

This is a very interesting and informative discussion.

Yes my footage is 720x576 Pal DV Widescreen with Audio recorded at 32000Hz Stereo.  All I want is to preserve the quality even if this maxes out at beyond a DL DVD (8.5Gb).  This is the situation: -

In 2006 my 2 daughters got married within the space of 6 weeks.  I used Premier Pro (not sure what version) to create a single Avi file which I imported into Ulead's Movie Factory - sorry to mention this - mods, please delete this reference if needs be.  The first DVD (wedding) I used 2 x single layer DVD's as my PC couldn't handle Dual Layers at that point in time and the second DVD (wedding), I used a DVD+R DL disc.

In both cases after adding Slide Shows to the actual Project with music backgrounds and a host of DVD Menus and effects, I had to limit the resultant size and in both cases, whilst the output was very good indeed, quality was sacrificed to accomodate everything I needed.

Now with the larger capacity discs I want to take advantage of this without unecessarily sacrificing the quality of the main footage.

So I want to burn > 8.5Gb.  My output will include lossles sound files and the actual sound output of the project will be Dolby Digital 5.1 minimum as I did before.  Ok the sound track of the video will still be stereo but the stuff I will be adding will be quality stuff - I am an audiphile in the main   The new wife ( my son's newly-wed) wants certain tracks etc and these will be backing slide shows of numerous stills we took and video menu options etc etc.

So I want to max out the quality of my "SD" footage to the final burn but agree that the resolution will stay the same - 720x576 PAL as above but at the best quality possible.  I will be supplying BD25 copies of the final Project which obviously will only playback in Bluray players.

Won't this better max out the quality rather than limit to a DVD+R DL disc?

Please keep your responses to this suggestion as well as continuing to debate the best settings to use when exporting from Premiere's timeline.

Thanks again

Paul

• 12. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                Keith_Clark Level 2

rozel33 wrote:

I used Premier Pro (not sure what version) to create a single Avi file which I imported into Ulead's Movie Factory - sorry to mention this - mods, please delete this reference if needs be. 

Thanks again

Paul

don't worry about it, we mention other NLEs all the time. most of us use multiple tools to get the job done.,

ok, now i can look at stuff... if Ulead can handle the seperate audio and video streams to be imported, i would just set everything  up like this and export...prPro.jpg

(pssst, if that hurts your eyes, grab it here.) (open in new tab/window)

but thats how i would do it, and the quality should be tremendously better than anything you could do on dvd, and still 1 gb left to add slideshows, and 1 gb left for your menus. sound like a fair deal to me

• 13. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                  rozel33 Level 1

Awesome dh83 - I have learned so much from playing with those settings in trying to get the screen the same as yours.  And how helpful was it for you to select a sequence shot almost the same way and nearly the same length as my own?  Brilliant, simply brilliant!!!   My track is a fraction over 2 hours 36 minutes and as I write this Premiere is calculating how long it will take to export - before I upload this post, I will detail how long encoding will take.  My output is calculated at 20345Mb, which as you say will leave sufficient room for my extras.

I upgraded my Movie Factory software yesterday and now operate Corel's VideoStudio Pro X4.  I haven't yet explored how it imports it's files as yet but surely it will take Premiere's output?  I hope so.  This seemed the natural upgrade to my old MF ver 6 and it allows for bluray burning, so I figure it should accept Premiere's 2 files?

Right now the Mrs is sitting comfortably in her armchair watching the build up to the "Wedding" like all females are doing right now and I daresay she will be watching all the highlights and replays tomorrow lol!  This will give me time therefore to muck about with my Project and try to optimise my new software's settings during our Bank Holiday break, even though I am working today

Ahhha !  Premiere reports encoding time to be a shade less than four hours so it will finish whilst I am at work.  I have altered my forum preferences so the time of my posts are now correct - I am in the UK as you have probably already guessed   So will test the output tomorrow.

A couple of further questions though if I may in the meantime?

1.  When I imported my latest 35Gb .avi file into Movie Factory, playback within it's timeline was in 4.3 aspect ratio and not widescreen as I had thought.  This results in playback where the width of the video is "squashed" a wee bit and makes the images taller than they should be (hope I have explained that ok). I have had this problem before but not sure what caused it - any thoughts?  I am of course presuming that playback of the bluray output will be in widescreen, with the settings you have given me?

2.  When I was fiddling about with the Export settings, the only way to get the size of output matching yours, was to select "Entire Sequence" in the "Source Range" box - bottom left of the Export Settings window - I assume this is ok?

Thanks again for your quality input with my Project, it is much appreciated.

Paul

• 14. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                    Keith_Clark Level 2

I'm on my phone so it's difficult to post with replies and quotes for longer posts, but to answer your questions:

a) I would say if your program is worth anything it will most definitely import the separate audio and video tracks. So dont worry about that.

1) the only thing I can think of is it needs to be interpreted as widescreen? ive never used anything corel or ulead, but I know with cyberlink you could just right click on the file and change the aspect ratio from fullscreen to widescreen interpretation, and then it would display correctly.

2) it shouldn't matter. You probably had your work are either way longer than the movie (resulting in huge file) or it could have been way shorter (resulting in a smaller file output size) if you want to export the entire timeline, it shouldn't matter if you chose that. I prefer to export only work area, so I adjust my work areas accordingly. but if you want to export the entire timeline, it shouldn't matter anyway. if you have any concerns you can atleast watch he exported file again to make sure it's all included. But sounds like you have everything you need.

• 15. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                      rozel33 Level 1

Hi - an update..........................

First the newly created m4v file will is blocky and stutters wildly and speeds up and slows down at random, when I play in VLC Player or Windows Media Player.  Not very good at all

Corel's Video Studio or Movie Factory refuses to import this type of file.

When I import my previous attempt to either of these programs, it simply plays in a squashed 4.3 aspect ratio and no adjustment of settings, seems to rectify this problem, so I will create a new post in one of their forums and ask there.

When I playback my previous attempt in VLC Player or Windows Media player it plays fine and in the correct widescreen ratio - 16:9 which is what I thought 720x576 is.

Totally confused now

Paul

• 16. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                        Keith_Clark Level 2

rozel33 wrote:

Hi - an update..........................

First the newly created m4v file will is blocky and stutters wildly and speeds up and slows down at random, when I play in VLC Player or Windows Media Player.  Not very good at all

Corel's Video Studio or Movie Factory refuses to import this type of file.

When I import my previous attempt to either of these programs, it simply plays in a squashed 4.3 aspect ratio and no adjustment of settings, seems to rectify this problem, so I will create a new post in one of their forums and ask there.

When I playback my previous attempt in VLC Player or Windows Media player it plays fine and in the correct widescreen ratio - 16:9 which is what I thought 720x576 is.

Totally confused now

Paul

i'm all out of ideas. i actually tracked down a relative who uses corel video studio with her mpeg cam, last night, to fool around with it. so i had her come over with the lappy, and i tried some things, and it just flat doesnt like the mp4 codec. from looking it only wants to edit in mpeg or avi. i brough in just a regular 16x9 avi and it played decent, but i couldnt get the audio to work. i imported a lagarith avi, and as i suspected, it needs to be interpreted as 16x9, but could not figure out how to do that. tried to import a blu-ray h.264, and it just said "mismatched format" or something. the only way i can think of you having as much control over the output settings as you want, is you probably may have to use Encore.

i would atleast ask on a corel forum if there IS anyway to import an h.264 mp4 and an ac3 track on the same timeline and send that to the disc creator. if not... i'd suggest encore. you can have it automate alot of things. it has preset menus and whatnot. *shrug* my 2 cents, or pence i guess it would be?

• 17. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Totally confused now

Well, going back to my earlier post:

Given that you're not a professional, just export out a Microsoft DV AVI file and bring that into your authoring program.  It'll be the easiest, and the quality will be acceptable.

• 18. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                            rozel33 Level 1
                                            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Given that you're not a professional, just export out a Microsoft DV AVI file and bring that into your authoring program. It'll be the easiest, and the quality will be acceptable.

Yes and that is what I am trying to do but cannot for the life of me see why it's not playing in Widescreen.

Can someone please confirm if I have exported in widescreen from the following properties please?

Stream 0

Type: Video
                                            Codec: DV Video (dvsd)
                                            Resolution: 720x576
                                            Frame rate: 25

Stream 1

Type: Audio
                                            Codec: PCM S16 LE (araw)
                                            Channels: Stereo
                                            Sample rate: 48000 Hz
                                            Bits per sample: 16

These are the properties of my .avi file, exported from Premiere, but which doesn't want to playback in widescreen mode within Corel's Video Studio.  I am asking questions there too but am not getting anywhere fast.  They think it might be a problem with my file - can you tell from these properties?

TIA

Paul

• 19. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                              Keith_Clark Level 2

rozel33 wrote:

Given that you're not a professional, just export out a Microsoft DV AVI file and bring that into your authoring program. It'll be the easiest, and the quality will be acceptable.

Yes and that is what I am trying to do but cannot for the life of me see why it's not playing in Widescreen.

Can someone please confirm if I have exported in widescreen from the following properties please?

Stream 0

Type: Video
                                              Codec: DV Video (dvsd)
                                              Resolution: 720x576
                                              Frame rate: 25

Stream 1

Type: Audio
                                              Codec: PCM S16 LE (araw)
                                              Channels: Stereo
                                              Sample rate: 48000 Hz
                                              Bits per sample: 16

TIA

Paul

did you happen to flag your pixel aspect ratio in Premiere Exporter as "widescreen 16:9" on the .avi file?? (look at my screen cap earlier) and also, check your output tab (top left corner of my screen cap) and make sure that your output matches your source??

• 20. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                rozel33 Level 1

1. yes

2. do you mean "scale to fit" - if so, I cannot remember

Can you not tell from the properties I just posted?

Paul

• 21. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                  Keith_Clark Level 2

nah, you shouldnt have to do scale to fit if the source and output footage is the same dimensions and AR and such.

• 22. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                    Keith_Clark Level 2

rozel33 wrote:

Can you not tell from the properties I just posted?

Paul

eveything should be fine to with the properties, but that is just basic properties for any SD pal video. it doesnt mention the PAR of the output, or anything like that.

• 23. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                      rozel33 Level 1

Hi again - Further update....................

I thought that by posting the properties of the file, which incidently were taken from VLC Player, it would enable someone to verify that these properties were consistent with 16:9 Widescreen.  I believe 720x576 is isn't it?

However I have read this article which was given to me from Corel: -

http://lata.me.uk/video_studio/16_9/16_9or4_3.htm

No I don't think I can ever recall shooting any single DV Tape in 4:3 but after what seemed ages, I found the attributes tab and played with the "Distort Option", which really is quite user friendly

I am still trying to find out what has caused this but it seems that my footage is now playing back as it should be and I now seem to be ready to rock and roll with my "extras".

I totally appreciate your support and patience throughout particularly because I am playing with a third-party NLE now.  If I struggle then I will most certainly be back for some help with "Encore" - given that I consider I am rather good with Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Adition and rather noobish with Premiere, I really think that I ought to learn more about Encore as I swear by Adobe products and most people consider Encore the daddy of all Authoring programs   But right now my brain can't take another bashing so I will carry on using my existing NLE, unless I become unstuck !!

Thanks again

Paul

• 24. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                        Keith_Clark Level 2

rozel33 wrote:

I thought that by posting the properties of the file, which incidently were taken from VLC Player, it would enable someone to verify that these properties were consistent with 16:9 Widescreen.  I believe 720x576 is isn't it?

Paul

PAL SD is recognized as 720x576. but if the the dimension is 4x3 it has a a pixel aspect ratio of 1.0940. if the dimension is is 16x9 it has a PAR of 1.4587. both are 720x576.

• 25. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help

When filming with a SD camera on tape in widescreen means that the camera

films in 4:3 and places the footage stretched vertical on tape, this is called anomorphic widescreen.

Premiere will automaticly see you footage as widescreen, if not you can set that straight in the Interprete Footage in the Project Window.

Some players outside Premiere do not see the widescreen 'flag' so one has to set the Pixel Aspect Ratio by hand.

• 26. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                            rozel33 Level 1

Thanks Ann - I think you have nailed the problem.

I am really struggling now as I found out yesterday that VideoStudio Pro X4 doesn't do what I want it to in giving me automatic options to add slideshows/music tracks and menu templates as MovieFactory does.  Having upgraded to MovieFactory 7 now, so as to take advantage of it's BluRay capabilities, I am back with the original problem

VS seems to allow you to "Distort" the video back to 16:9 format but this is not an option in MovieFactory.. When I experiment with it's Multi-trim options, it plays back perfectly but after exiting that screen by pressing OK you then end up where you began so I am totally confused now.

I do have 2 things though: -

1.  My saved edited Project in Premiere CS5

2.  A 35 Gb .AVI file exported from 1. which plays back perfectly in Premiere, VLC Player and Windows Media Player.

If I have to I will export again from my saved project in Premiere but would need to know precisely what "export" settings to use which will flag up the resultant video in MovieFactory.  I honestly cannot remember now what settings I used but remember that export took about 90 minutes.  The export which DH described did not work and I have since deleted the file as it was terribly blocky and stopped and started every few seconds etc.

Now if I though Encore would give me "automatic" options to add slideshows music, Template Menus which I could play about with with videos embedded within them etc etc then I would jump straight into it.

My Deadline is to have a fully completed DVD/BluRay disc finished by 22nd May - I have 20 days to do this!

Hope you can help some more

Paul

• 27. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help

Do you need a dvd or a BD or both?

3 hours of footage will not fit on a regular dvd you need 2 or a double layer?

• 28. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                                rozel33 Level 1

Ann - I have already explained in a lot of detail that I want to end up with a Disc, where the video element is not degraded from the original and which has a host of extras etc etc.  Please read up.  My aim is to "take advantage" of a BD-25 in that it can hold up to 25Gb's whereas a single DVD holds only 4.5 Gb and a DL 8.5Gb.  Previously with these projects I have limited them to a DVD-9 (a dual layer disc) but this time I am going for quality.

So a BD-RE 25 first, to check it plays back ok followed by a final BD-25 please which can play back SD footage through BluRay players - is that asking a lot?  I have never done this before

Hope that helps

Paul

• 29. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                                  Keith_Clark Level 2

My only concerns would be with other programs, I'd assume it would delegate SD footage to DVD setting, regardless of destination. So even though you want to burn to BD, it may still give the avi the DVD compression values of 7 Mbps :-/ but usually more consumer oriented programs don't offer ways to set the minimum, just max bitrate. I could set the bitrate on 30 Mbps, but it may still encode it at 7.

and I'm sure the mp4 (h.264 file) you made was fine, the computer probably just didn't want to play it back accurately in the video players. I would've burned it to disc to check, but that would've required firing up encore. But you can burn disc in encore with no menus, just to test it, but testing the file is neither here nor there if your disc authoring program won't import mp4 anyway. Bleh./p>

• 30. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                                    rozel33 Level 1

Good morning DH - thanks for sticking by me

Right I have heard from Corel and I think the problem is exactly as Ann has described in her post No.25.

Corel have told me this: -

"It's the way you are exporting from Premiere that looks like it is causing the problems. I suspect the flag being introduced in your movie by Premiere just cannot be recognised by VS.
                                                                    You have a frame based uncompressed file.
                                                                    You want to export out as dv.avi from premiere, which will give you the same file type as you start with"

OK I think therefore I need to change my export settings within Premier from my saved Project - I never did detail these and so I just went on a wing and a prayer lol!  It took 90 mins to export though, that is all I can say.  I have already detailed the file's details as reported by VLC Player - but these are the settings from Corel's VideoStudio: -

Details.jpg

Please ignore the "Project Properties" as these are the default ones - this screen was taken simply to show the actual file's properties ie; it's "Video Properties" from within VS.

So what I need to have is a DV.AVI - could someone please take me by the hand and show me how to do that please?  It needs to be without any compression though - I will leave that to the final program I adopt for my final Disc creation.  With a bit of luck I can then export once more and have a file which I can muck about with in MF7.  But then again if Encore can "automatically create" Slideshows and menus etc with little or no experience then I would use that program but it needs to be as simple as MF7.  I am of course asking Corel as I write this, what ultimate settings I need to use to burn a BD-RE 25/BD-25

Please keep your help coming forth - I am learning so much

Paul

• 31. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                                      rozel33 Level 1

I'll start the ball rolling - how do these settings look?

Export Settings 1.jpg

I think the important settings are under "Aspect".  Is the setting there the correct one?  Also what should my Project Settings look like?, or do these no longer matter?  Finally should I select Uncompressed Microsoft AVI or Microsoft AVI ?  Does it matter?

Hope I am making some sense

Paul

Message was edited as I had uploaded the screen with incorrect settings - the above one is what I am asking help about :)

• 32. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                                        Keith_Clark Level 2

Under format choose Microsoft avi, and under codec choose dv-pal and go from there. uncompressed never carries the 16x9 flag for me in my experience, but maybe it's just the codecs I've used. *shrug*

• 33. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                                          Keith_Clark Level 2

Btw, change it to include the whole timeline, or expand your work area. It's only covering 1 hour of footage.

• 34. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                                            rozel33 Level 1

Right DH got it, but what about all the basic settings? - how should

I set those please?

Lol! Just read your second post - I was editing my own to reflect that actual fact that I hadn't altered the timeline but your post stopped me from editing.

Paul

• 35. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                                              Keith_Clark Level 2

Just set it up how I have everything at up on my screen cap. If it's avi, I usually just leave everything auto anyway. Except quality: 100 setting always

• 36. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                                                rozel33 Level 1

Thanks but those settings were for BluRay.  The settings for Microsoft AVI seem to throw up different settings and there are so many - I don't know how to select "auto" - it would be appreciated if you could check those that I have selected and tell me if those are ok please - I really do not want to end up with another video which is not flagged up as widescreen in MF7.  I selected the aspect ratio in order to get the correct PAR of 1.4587 for 16:9 playback - I am choosing this as this was what seemed correct from an earlier post - your screen simply shows 16:9 as an option - this isn't in my list.

Thanks again in anticipation.

roz

• 37. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                                                  rozel33 Level 1

Well I went ahead and used the settings in my screen above and the same thing has happened - MF7 still

plays it back in 4:3

I really am stuck now and do not know what to do

The size of the output is exactly the same as before so the screen above shows the settings for both of my exports from Premiere's Timeline.

I cannot fathom this out - it's beyond me now.  Why is it that my simple excersise is causing all this mess?  Must I really use an inferior NLE and start over?  Goodness me - come on Adobe there must be thousands of people who haven't yet moved on to HD yet and simply want to export their footage in widescreen.  I'm buggered if it is my camera as I have said, I have used many versions of Premiere before this with no difficulty alongside my existing camcorder and I have used DVD Workshop and MovieFactory in many versions again alongside Premiere and my camcorder.

Yes ok I am ranting now, because I have spent hours and hours on this simple matter and getting nowhwere fast.

It's obvious to me that it's Premiere CS5's handling of SD Amorphic Widescreen footage which is suspect here and it seems shameful to me.  Sorry guys, whilst I know you have all been truly helpful nobody has yet nailed this problem - I apprciate this is a User to End User forum but nonetheless is there nobody out there who can sort this out please?

All I want is to export my Premiere's timeline to a third-party program which plays back in 16;9 - THE WAY IT WAS SHOT!

Is this asking a lot?  I have posted endless details of my stuff and after several days spent entirely trying to sort this out, I am back to the beginning.!

This post is going nowhere to encourage responses, I know, but it's how I feel!  I have spent a considerable sum of money on Adobe products but this seems such a basic problem that it seems untrue!

Paul

• 38. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                                                    Keith_Clark Level 2

ok now that i'm at the computer, when you choose Microsoft AVI then codec of DV - Pal, all the parameters are greyed out, so really everything is already on auto. the only thing that needs to be changed is the Aspect "pal widescreen 1.4587"

• 39. Re: Noob Request For Exporting Help
                                                                                      Keith_Clark Level 2

set it up like this....

http://members.cox.net/kamikaze_productions/stuff/set-up.jpg

appologize for this mondo huge pic ruining the thread orientation   notice that my "output" tab is selected at top-left hand, check that and make sure its in WS format and not letterboxed FS format.

1 2 Previous Next