18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 4:31 PM by Hudechrome

Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std

Noel Carboni Level 7

Lightroom 3.4 and Camera Raw 6.4 now available

I never loaded the beta, so this is the first I've seen of this new update.

The software downloaded and installed itself perfectly using Help - Updates... from within Photoshop CS5 standard, and seems to work just fine. Nice job, Adobe!

-Noel

• 1. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
          Hudechrome Level 2

Thanks for the heads up. I don't see anything for my system except possibly the 18 to 105 lens (curious anyway!) but I thought that was already available since I already did some testing. Maybe it was available for PS but not ACR?

I am curious also about the way statements are made concerning fixes, to wit:

"Applying the exposure      adjustment brush to a high ISO image could  have caused excessive noise      reduction correction to the entire  image"

Could have caused? It either did or it didn't. If it is a fix for errors that could have caused...and there is no problem I am having, am I installing a fix for something I don't have? What happens if a fix is applied to a non-problem?

I hate weasel words, especially in engineering. Keep up and we will go from the Information Age to the Absurdity Age!

Just sayin'....

• 2. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
            Noel Carboni Level 7

I kind of like the form, "If you experienced a problem where this or that happened, this new version will correct the issue."

Marketing and legal people will always limit what the engineers can tell the users.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom only has the RAW version of the 18-105 lens profile and its date is 4/15 so it is new or updated for 3.4.  The Lens Profile Downloader has both a JPG and a RAW version of the 18-105 lens profile with no dates given so perhaps these were what the experiments were with. 

To me "could have caused" means in some situations it was noticeable by some people, or that the bug didn't occur in all cases, or merely that "excessive" is a relative term open to interpretation and saying "always caused excessive noise reduction" would be too absolute a statement.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                Level 4

Larry,

The prudent thing is always to update to the latest final release of ACR.

Camera Raw updates practically always contain unannounced bug fixes and unheralded improvements—in addition to support for newer cameras and whatever else is publicly admitted.

I have no insight as to the reason(s) for this, but that's just the way it is.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                  Level 4

Noel Carboni wrote:

…Marketing and legal people will always limit what the engineers can tell the users…

Very true.

• 6. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                    Hudechrome Level 2

Always isn't always prudent. The Release notes says it all:

Camera RAW 6.4 Release Notes

These items have been FIXED in 6.3:

• Camera Raw did not allow      write-back capability for the EXIF GPS properties.
                    • The DNG File format did not      support XMP Media Management.
                    • A JPEG file with a specific      characteristic was found to have a pink cast.
                    • The undo command (Command+z)      was failing to undo crop adjustments.
                    • Single images marked for      deletion were not moved to the trash.
                    • A magenta color cast could have      appeared on Nikon D7000 or Pentax K-5 images if the multi-exposure feature      was used with raw capture.
                    • Applying Sigma 10-20mm Lens      Profile to Nikon D7000 raw files could have produced dark or black corners
                    • Some EXIF fields of Panasonic      raw files appeared to be blank in Bridge Metadata panel
                    • Applying the exposure      adjustment brush to a high ISO image  could have caused excessive noise      reduction correction to the  entire image

There are no 6.4 fixes posted.

So, is that a typo? Why would the fixes for 6.3 be re-posted?

In 6.3, I tested Command Z after cropping. It works. No weasel words here. Bullet 4 says "failing". So for the cropping undo, it looks like truth, not a typo.

This and the question about Nikon 18 to 105 lens gives me pause so far as upgrading.

Always isn't always prudent.

• 7. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check the ACR 6.3 release notes and see if they are the same.

• 8. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                        Noel Carboni Level 7

Hudechrome wrote:

A magenta color cast could have      appeared on Nikon D7000 or Pentax K-5 images if the multi-exposure feature      was used with raw capture.

That was absolutely a 6.4 fix.  Someone forgot to change the version number when they reused the template from the 6.3 release.

-Noel

• 9. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                          Level 4

Larry,

All I can do is repeat what I said:

Camera Raw updates practically always contain unannounced bug fixes and unheralded improvements—in addition to support for newer cameras and whatever else is publicly admitted.

I stand by that.  Not every fix or improvement is announced, admitted or explained.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 10. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                            Hudechrome Level 2

Well, that's a decent fall back position, but every once in a while, I like to check. I dislike surprises. "Take it! It's for your own good!" is not good science or engineering.

Actually, I did download 6.4, because I decided to check out the Nikon lens problem for myself.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/843744?tstart=0

• 11. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                              Noel Carboni Level 7

I have to agree with Ramon in the case of Adobe software in general.

Adobe is VERY good about not breaking new things, all the while rolling out bugfixes and improvements.

And you know every version they've ever published is still available on their site.  THAT is a GREAT policy, and supports one's ability to roll back if there ever should be a problem with the latest release.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Macintosh

-Noel

• 12. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                                Noel Carboni Level 7

Hudechrome wrote:

Actually, I did download 6.4, because I decided to check out the Nikon lens problem for myself.

Out of curiosity, what did you find?  Did they make something worse in this release with regard to that specific lens?

-Noel

• 13. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                                  Hudechrome Level 2

My finding is problematic, and until and unless I can come somewhat close to "unassailable" I prefer not to find myself in another tussle with  JS. To have spent time to look, check test and then have him say things, with a smirk, "It ain't gonna (that's the smirk!) happen", because of the "who the hell are you" pov.

I did write it up, and it's in Word. Later today, after dealing with some local political issues, I'll look at it again.

That last goaround with JS, I said I would no longer publish this sort of material to which he responded "Promise?"  So I'll keep my promise.

Let me just say I did find a problem but could not replicate it. I want to find out why. It's a normal step any way in sightings and then filing bug reports.

• 14. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                                    Hudechrome Level 2

And by the way kudos to the Adobe engineering staff for the fine change in the installtion procedure. Finally, I can forget about the path to the installation and removal of the old. I never seem to remember it correctly. It installed wothout hardly noticing!

• 15. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                                      Noel Carboni Level 7

Hudechrome wrote:

I'll keep my promise.

Fair enough.

Would you be willing to share a raw image shot with that lens?

-Noel

• 16. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                                        deejjjaaaa Level 2

>  All I can do is repeat what I said: Camera Raw updates practically always contain unannounced bug fixes and unheralded improvements—in addition to support for newer cameras and whatever else is publicly admitted. I stand by that.  Not every fix or improvement is announced, admitted or explained.

correct, albeit there is no shame or harm to actually publish a more detailed list of what was corrected...

now if somebody in Adobe Labs will finally correct Sigma .X3F raw files processing...

• 17. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                                          Noel Carboni Level 7

deejjjaaaa wrote:

there is no shame or harm to actually publish a more detailed list of what was corrected...

Lawyers think in terms of liability.  Big companies with big financial resources worry more.

Imagine some major bug was fixed in Camera Raw 6.4.  Let's say the bug could cause loss of data under some remote circumstance that virtually no one would likely encounter in real life.  Now, further imagine someone with, say, Elements 8 - which can't possibly update to 6.4 - looking for a way to weasel a freebie out of Adobe - or even a big settlement (why think small?)...

It's not hard to dream up the possibility that, using detailed release notes exposing a serious bug in older versions, our devious user could stage a failure where it looked like Adobe's bug caused them some kind of loss.  Then they open a support case or even file a lawsuit.

This may be an overly simplistic example, but it's probably true that the company feels that otherwise uncommon knowledge in the hands of users could under some condition do them harm.

My point is that corporations often follow a "what the users don't know won't hurt them" philosophy to avoid liability.  And so the release notes are vague at best.

-Noel

• 18. Re: Camera Raw 6.4 - Downloads/Updates OK, Runs OK w/ PS CS5 Std
                                            Hudechrome Level 2

No need to post that file. I got it sorted out.

Running several frames from the 18 to 105 on both DXO and ACR, at least at 18mm, the corrections are so close that when I place one on top of the other as a layer, then go to differential, they almost cancel out completely. The barest differences can be seen, most likely due to DXO sharpening and a couple of other items I have set as the default there. This is damn good, imo.

With the 70 to 300mm, not as good. Obvious differences between DXO and ACR, although the difference isn't serious enough to warrant one over the other, or even correcting geometry at all.

I stated in the other thread that I ran tests earlier on the Nikon 18 to 105 which is not correct. I ran it on the Nikon 70 to 300. So this is the first test for me on the 18 to 105. Be aware I am speaking of the short focal length. I haven't tried any others yet.

So far as what I saw earlier, it came about because I did not cancel the ACR Lens Correction before running the DXO the second time. I had run both earlier, with good correspondence as noted, but the second go around, I didn't cancel , and DXO picked up the file with ACR corrections applied. This is true either direction, that is ACR sees the dng from DXO with the DXO correction applied. Now DXO claims they ignore all ACR side car (if that's the right term) files and just use the RAW file, but in this case, they do include whatever ACR does for Lens Correction. They do ignore color and tone correction. That's what threw me off.

Check all work!  Look out for pebkac!