12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2011 9:45 AM by Darren Hall

Don't use Black Magic or Matrox MXO2

Geoff Vane Level 1

To all professional users at broadcast stations:  Do not use video interfaces by Black Magic Design (see this link: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3640669#3640669)  Also do not use the Matrox MXO2.  These cards are not working with CS5. Your PC will become highly unstable.  Do not expect your dealer, Adobe or Matrox to solve your problem. You'll end up in a neverending loop when trying to get help.   At best these companies will try standard procedures with small steps that just won't make any difference. They will not follow up on your case and do close the case after two days.  We have tried to hire engineers to fix our systems but that request was denied.  For editing, try stick with Avid if possible, never mind how little options it has; it works.  For compositing with AE, use a Mac.  Dvd authoring is also best done with Mac only software; Encore is not a professional solution. I forgot the app name.  Thanks for reading.

• 1. Re: Don't use Black Magic or Matrox MXO2
          Darren Hall Level 1

My Blackmagic Ultrastudio pro is fantastic, the machine is solid and fast and it does not slow my machine down "ppbm5" results are great.

Darren

• 2. Re: Don't use Black Magic or Matrox MXO2
            Jon-M-Spear Level 4

My BM Intensity Pro and PP CS5 on a Windows 7 box are working perfectlty togther, thanks.  No problems whatsoever.  I also understand that the integration is about to get tighter with PP5.5.

Avid?  No thanks, been there, done that.  No integration with AE or Encore.  Yesterday's technology.

• 3. Re: Don't use Black Magic or Matrox MXO2
              Admiral Cook Level 1

I see no point of using such cards anyway.

They were important in era of analog video and slow computers.They gave us:

- realtime playback

- output to external monitor

- additional effects

Now you have realtime playback supported by Premiere.

Rendering is not painful with modern computers.

You can use cheap firewire card to output to external monitor, or dual displays to view fullscreen video on your computer.

Additional effects are available to buy at relatively small prices.

• 4. Re: Don't use Black Magic or Matrox MXO2
                Darren Hall Level 1

Firewire and MPE do not work, the picture I get from my BM card to full HD monitor is far superior to using a second pc monitor and I want my two monitors for better editing (more space more tools= faster editing) IMO blackmagic is fine, well on my machine it is. It does not give better or worse perfomance it gives very good I/O solutions.

• 5. Re: Don't use Black Magic or Matrox MXO2
                  Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Admiral Cook wrote:

I see no point of using such cards anyway.

They were important in era of analog video and slow computers.They gave us:

- realtime playback

- output to external monitor

- additional effects

Now you have realtime playback supported by Premiere.

Rendering is not painful with modern computers.

You can use cheap firewire card to output to external monitor, or dual displays to view fullscreen video on your computer.

Additional effects are available to buy at relatively small prices.

Point number 2 - output to external monitor

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y  - especially when you need to monitor on a CRT reference monitor.

• 6. Re: Don't use Black Magic or Matrox MXO2
                    Geoff Vane Level 1

Some of you may have missed the first line: professional users at broadcast stations.

If you see no point for using such cards, this message is not intended for you.

My systems are connected to a Leitch patch SDI grid where you can select dozens of broadcast live streams.

I must be able to read and write via the SDI standard.

And I use a CRT reference monitor indeed to check for field dirt and have a latency free view.

Far better than most flat screens; it's not your home CRT TV.

I bought two $10,000 MXO2 systems with CS5; they don't work and nobody seems to be able to fix it.

That is why this warning can be found here: don't use this combo at a broadcast environment since it is a bad choice.

• 7. Re: Don't use Black Magic or Matrox MXO2
                      Admiral Cook Level 1

I am professional user at broadcast station, but I have no SDI but HDV recorder + memory cards as sources. That's why in my situation there is no need for any special video card.

I can live without Mercury HW, but it's shame that Adobe has not fixed this yet. Even I have CUDA supported card I'm using software renderer because firewire+GPU accelerated Mercury is no go.

• 8. Re: Don't use Black Magic or Matrox MXO2
                        sookoll

I have 2 pc premiere editing stations with blackmagic and one with MXO2 (media composer) and one mac resolve with blackmagic. Blackmagics are connected to broadcast monitors with SDI, MXO2 is just for monitoring through hdmi on consumer tv.

All work constantly every day with no problems. I used to have a matrox axio LE with premiere and that was frequently having problems and was slow, and driver updates were 6 months behind adobe releases. With Blackmagics I have no problems other that not being able to edit native red files on blackmagic sequence.

• 9. Re: Don't use Black Magic or Matrox MXO2
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          I bought two $10,000 MXO2 systems

MX02 is for Macs.  And it's Matrox.

Those are your problems.

• 10. Re: Don't use Black Magic or Matrox MXO2
                            Colin Brougham Level 6
                            MX02 is for Macs.  And it's Matrox.

Huh? Matrox MXO2 Family for PC

Agree on the latter, though.

• 11. Re: Don't use Black Magic or Matrox MXO2
                              Geoff Vane Level 1

Matrox online assistance can hardly do anything, probably because there is no solution.
                              And Adobe has a firm  discouraging policy regarding trouble shooting; it's like trying to swim up a waterfall. Hiring an engineer is impossible.

So it could be Matrox but the mentioned Black Magic story did not sound good either.

I doubt if CS5 is suited for double six cores at all.

Sometimes AE renders like a rocket, but when I want to show the exact same render performance to my colleagues, it suddenly is slow again.

Such behaviour indicates the system is unstable.

I would most certainly not buy this or any PC / Matrox configuration ever again.

• 12. Re: Don't use Black Magic or Matrox MXO2
                                Darren Hall Level 1

Geoff

Maybe remove your matrox tools and drivers and hardware and try again. I removed my Matrox MX02 and my system is fast and stable and with the BM. I think a PC is just as good as any Mac and I am sure is faster if you have the correct hardware and is setup correctly. I visited a editor who edits on a Mac Pro FCP for TV shows and realized that mac is not what everybody rants and raves about the time it took him to complete what he was doing, I could have done it much quicker. I do agree Mac's are good for certain applications but so they should be at the price they sell for. IMO bang for buck nothing can come close to PC and CS5.

I would get in touch with one of the PC Builders on this site and Ask for help as I believe there is nothing wrong with Adobe CS5 and the PC format.

Darren