6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 8:18 AM by Daxman1965

CS 5.5 and Video Cards

ruzun Level 1

I went ahead and pre-ordered CS 5.5.  I'm pretty happy with 5.0 but I never did install it on my laptop, and have since bought a new laptop with a Sandy Bridge Quad Core 2820 Processor and an Nvidia GT555M video card I'd like to install 5.5 on.  Is it possible to tweak the startup file so that the Mercury engine will recognize the GT 555M Video Processor on the laptop with 5.5?  If so what file is it you edit and how do you edit it?  The 555M is somewhat faster than the Quadro 2000M or 2800M.

-Roger

• 1. Re: CS 5.5 and Video Cards
          Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can add it to the text file (see this link for instructions) but there are no guarantees it'll work perfectly - you may have to play about with Optimus to ensure the correct GPU is being used and there may be an occasional disconnect during rendering, as GeForce cards aren't designed to run at max power for extended periods, especially in a laptop. We don't have any test data for the 555M on CS5.5 at this time and of course it's not on the approved list, but the specs are better than a number of other cards that users report as working acceptably.

Bear in mind that while a fast card will boost performance significantly, it'll only do so in certain aspects. If you're rendering from highly-compressed formats such as ACHVD or reading very large files, your CPU and disk speed will be the limiting factor - and so you may never see the "true" power of a high-end GPU on a laptop, unless you invest in things like solid-state drives, and you have enough ram per core (at least 2G each) to allow the renderer to multi-thread properly.

• 2. Re: CS 5.5 and Video Cards
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

"as GeForce cards aren't designed to run at max power for extended periods, especially in a laptop"

Actually the problem is the Nvidia driver auto fan control and it's the same on the Quadro's. They run fine at max power for long periods if you ramp the fan. Nvidia needs to tune the auto fan control to be more aggressive.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: CS 5.5 and Video Cards
              ruzun Level 1

The laptop I bought does not have Optimus.  It is the 3D version of the Dell XPS 17, it has a 2820 Core-i7 processor, 12GB of RAM, an SSD drive for the boot C: drive and a magentic 7200RPM drive for D: where I store data etc.  It has a GT 555M video card with 3GB of RAM.  As long as I edit with it plugged in I think performance will be OK, for some reason Optimus isn't good to have with 3D so they omitted it on this laptop.

The real problem I see is I won't want to edit on a single 17" Monitor.  Also I'm not a huge fan of any laptops keyboard.  I think this laptop can run CS 5.5 OK but I don't think I will edit much on it overall.  I still will prefer my desktop just because of the keyboard, dual monitors etc.

-Roger

• 4. Re: CS 5.5 and Video Cards
                Daxman1965 Level 1

Hi Eric,

I have a Lenovo W701 with a FX2800M can I ramp the fan on this and if so how?

thanks

Darren

• 5. Re: CS 5.5 and Video Cards
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Laptop fan control is normally handled by the Keyboard firmware update and hot keys. The Nvidia tools or 3rd party utilities that work on the desktop cards don't work with most of the mobile cards. Check your manual for the fan control key and see if there is any bios and keyboard firmware updates for your model. When you edit or export with Adobe hit the Fan control key to turn fans to full and off auto.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: CS 5.5 and Video Cards
                    Daxman1965 Level 1

Thnks Eric,

I will check it out.

Darren