2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 11:30 PM by justinfox84

Randomly slow, yet consistently slow, performance on only one project

justinfox84

After reading through many of the FAQs before posting this, I'm still at a loss for a solution though I admit I haven't exhausted all of my options just yet (I'm waiting on the more drastic ones - like throwing the computer).

I can scrub and play without problem, but any time I alter anything (trim, delete, even razor a clip in the timeline) Premiere hangs for about 2 minutes after that mouse click... and any mouse click aside from play/stop.  I've been editing 1080p .mov files shot from a Canon 7d for a couple months now (my free time is rather limited).  I'm using an iMac with OS X (3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 800 MHz, etc.) and I've double checked that all updates for it and CS5 are up to date.  The source files are kept on an external raid drive attached via USB 2.0 and I haven't had any issues.  I know these factors break multiple rules listed in this forum, but, like I said, I haven't had any problem 'till about 48 hours ago and without obvious cause.

Since then, I've run multiple cache cleaners, virus software, etc., I've re-saved under different names, I've copied and pasted everything into new projects, I've copied the source files onto my internal drive (effectively giving me far less than the suggested 20% free space necessary, though) and reassigned them to a duplicate project, and I've tried beginning from scratch with importing only a few of the .mov files from my shoot into a new project.  Unfortunately, the only one that has not repeated the problem is the last option.  I'd rather not have to start editing from scratch.  I refused to believe there is simply too much information in the timeline (barely 20 minutes with maybe a hundred cuts from about 50 or so separate source files).  My only thoughts at this point are that the footage became corrupt (then why can I still edit it from a brand new project?), the computer has an undetectable virus (why does anything else beside this project, or projects with matching timelines, work?), my software/hardware is inadequate (nothing changed within the last week, or since the beginning of my project).

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall?  Do I need to go back down to CS3, which never gave me such problems?  Do I need to make the switch to Final Cut because I've just about had it with Premiere's difficulties?

I really hope there's an obvious solution that I've overlooked.  Or any solution...

• 1. Re: Randomly slow, yet consistently slow, performance on only one project
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Which version of Premiere Pro are you running? CS5, 5.0.2, or 5.0.3? What kind of video card is installed? If you are on a Mac with an ATI card and running Premiere Pro 5.0.2, or 5.0.3, reinstall Premiere Pro CS5 and leave it at v. 5.0. Do not update it.

Another possibility is a corrupt sequence. Can you copy/paste your clips from your master sequence to a new one with the same settings. Try that.

You should also know that your system really needs upgrading, or you'll continue to have problems like this. USB 2.0 is much, much too slow for the files you wish to play back. Upgrade to an external FW800 drive and your situation will improve. Also bump up the RAM to max out your iMac (8 or 16 GB) for a better editing experience.

In comparing Premiere Pro CS5 and CS3 versions, CS5 will need more resources because of its nature as a 64 bit application. You'll definitely need a lot more RAM for the system to operate as you would expect it.

• 2. Re: Randomly slow, yet consistently slow, performance on only one project
            justinfox84 Level 1

I'm gonna try the reinstall, I'll get back to you on that.  I've already tried the copying and pasting into a new sequence, which is what I thought was weird.  I'm banking on the uninstall, but I know I need to update.  But just because I have a short film to edit doesn't mean I have the money...

Thanks for the feedback.  I appreciate something in a direction I can explore - aside from starting from scratch.  Like I said, I'll gladly follow up, especially if one of those options solved the issue.