6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2011 6:57 AM by Colin-B

AVCHD [.m2ts/.mts files] - Time date stamp ??

Gav_O

Yet to purchase Premiere Pro, but will if it can serve this relatively simply purpose ....

Can this progam embed/burn-in (or otherwise) a time date stamp from metadata onto 'video fames' whilst the video remains in native format (ie NOT converting to .AVI or .WMP or any other file type)

Can anyone provide feedabck as to whether this is possible ...... either with this or any other product??

Many thanks

Gavin

• 1. Re: AVCHD [.m2ts/.mts files] - Time date stamp ??
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Can this progam embed/burn-in (or otherwise) a time date stamp from metadata onto 'video fames' whilst the video remains in native format (ie NOT converting to .AVI or .WMP or any other file type)

Not possible with Premiere. It won't be possible with any other software, either.

• 2. Re: AVCHD [.m2ts/.mts files] - Time date stamp ??
            Colin-B Level 1
            whilst the video remains in native format

If you mean that the date stamp is performed directly on the encoded/compressed frame data (i.e. without decoding), then no. Date stamping just like any other kind of effect applied to the video frames needs the encoded data to be decoded to uncompressed video frames - then the effect is added to the uncompressed frames in memory. At this point you have completely left the original encoded format behind, so the output frames could simply be left as uncompressed frames, or compressed again using pretty much any compression format you like - it doesn't have to be the same compression format as the original file.

Is there a particular reason why you want the output to have the same compression and file format as the input file?

• 3. Re: AVCHD [.m2ts/.mts files] - Time date stamp ??
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Usually this is done in camera.  Look for one that offers the feature.

• 4. Re: AVCHD [.m2ts/.mts files] - Time date stamp ??
                Gav_O Level 1

Thanks for the input guys

The Time/date stamp is required on the footage for evidentiary reasons (ie to be used in court), and wish the file type to remain native relates to the desire to  burn onto DVD for ease of viewing (ie via DVD player not computer).

I admit I'm not the full bottle on these things and it there is a better way to achieve the desired outcome I am open to suggestion.

The camera used is a Sony HDR-XR520VE.

Cheers again

G

• 5. Re: AVCHD [.m2ts/.mts files] - Time date stamp ??
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Having looked into this briefly, in my own local jurisdiction, you're not allowed to modify the file.  That's why it has to be done in camera.

You may need another camera, one that will burn it in for you.

• 6. Re: AVCHD [.m2ts/.mts files] - Time date stamp ??
                    Colin-B Level 1
                    wish the file type to remain native relates to the desire to  burn onto DVD for ease of viewing (ie via DVD player not computer).

That's really a contradiction. For AVCHD MTS, the camera records video in H.264/AVC format at high resolution, while DVD contains video in standard def MPEG-2 video, so you can't stay "native".