7 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2011 11:30 AM by Jim_Simon

How to Export UYVY 4:2:2 8-bit Uncompressed AVI?

jl_02 Level 1

I've been doing a lot of testing in Premiere Pro CS5 (on Windows) but cannot figure out how to export video to a generic 4:2:2 8-bit uncompressed AVI file. Here's some background - I've captured some video to an uncompressed Matrox AVI file (via an MXO2 I/O Device). Now I've done some simple cutting and need to get the video off Premiere's timeline (and into another yet-to-be-determined multimedia application). I don't want to lose any quality - hence my requirement for 4:2:2 uncompressed AVI. Also, the file needs to be a standard/generic AVI that doesn't require any special CODECs installed.

In Premiere's File > Export > Media window, there seems to be 2 ways of getting uncompressed 4:2:2 AVIs:

Option 1:

• Format: Uncompressed Microsoft AVI
        • Video Codec: UYVY
          • Quality: 100
          • Width: 720
          • Height: 576
          • Frame Rate: 25
          • Field Type: Upper First
          • Aspect: PAL (1.0940)
        • Audio Codec: Uncompressed
          • Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
          • Channels: Stereo
          • Sample Type: 16 bit

Option 2:

• Format: Microsoft AVI
        • Video Codec: Uncompressed UYVY 422 8bit
          • Quality: (Greyed out at 100)
          • Width: 720
          • Height: 576
          • Frame Rate: 25
          • Field Type: Upper First
          • Aspect: PAL (1.0940)
        • Audio Codec: Uncompressed
          • Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
          • Channels: Stereo
          • Sample Type: 16 bit
          • Audio Interleave: 0

Option 1 is great except that the audio codec detected is "0xfffe extensible wave format" (according to GSpot). I can play the video on practically any machine including something as old as Windows Media Player 9 running on Windows 2000! The audio plays back fine as well in Windows Media Player. However, audio does not play (not detected correctly) in VLC media player, or in Sony Vegas-type software. FYI, the video codec detected (by GSpot)  is "UYVY (packed 4:2:2)".

Option 2, on the other hand, is quite the contrary. The video does not play in any version of Windows Media Player (regardless of operating system), but the audio plays fine though. The audio codec detected (according to GSpot) is the standard "PCM audio" format and the video codec is again "UYVY (packed 4:2:2)". In VLC media player, both the video and audio play fine. But in other editing software such as Edius, the video is not detected and only the audio is loaded onto the timeline.

What I would like is a generic 4:2:2 uncompressed AVI file which has audio that works in anything. Is there some setting/parameter that I have missed? Can I customise Option 1 with "PCM audio" rather than "0xfffe extensible wave format"? I want to avoid "Video Codec: None" if at all possible given that the file size will be significantly larger for absolutely no quality gain (I presume this is uncompressed 4:4:4?).

Any suggestions would be most welcome.