8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2011 5:14 PM by eliuri99

Adobe Reader 10 only saves copy to E Drive-Flash Drive

eliuri99

Hello:

I uninstaled an older version of Adobe Acrobat 6.0 so as to install Adobe Reader 10.0.0.1

I found that both the uninstall and the install of the Adobe Reader 10 could only be done when I placed the fksh drive in the USB port.

Otherwise, I'd get:

Error 1327

Invalid Drive: E:\

This was puzzling because the program I uninstalled and the destination of the Adobe Reader were both on the C Drive under Program Files.

Only way I was able to upgrade to the latest Adobe reader was to put flash drive -Drive E on my PC--into the USB port. But the new program was installed to its default location on the C Drive under Program files.

I find that Adobe Reader 10 works fine except that when I try to save  a .pdf online page online to My Documents, I'm told theres not enough room on the disk and to either free up some room on the disk or choose another disk to save it to.  This is puzzling since I'm asking for it to be saved in My Documents on the C; drive.  Oddly enough, it will save it to the E: drive if my insert my flash drive inot to USB port.

There is no shortage of space in My Documents at all. So why do I get that reading?  And why can't I save the page to My Documents. It seems I can save already downloaded .pdf files to that location.

Thanks in advance:

-Eliuri

Windows XP Professional Edition SP3

Message was edited by: eliuri99

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 10 only saves copy to E Drive-Flash Drive
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check your registry. Some entries (My Documents or sub-folders) points to drive E: .

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 10 only saves copy to E Drive-Flash Drive
            eliuri99 Level 1

This isnt happening, AFAIK with other programs other than Adobe Reader and the uninstalled Adobe Acrobat 6.0.

Exactly where in the registry should I check this?

Which keys should I look for?

-Eliuri

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 10 only saves copy to E Drive-Flash Drive
              MiTePython

This sounds like an issue with the registry as previously stated.  To test, save as, and browse to c:\documents and settings\%username%\my documents, do not use a my documents shortcut to get there.  If you can then save to the my documents folder;

****Edit registry keys at your own risk****  (always make a backup!)

Edit the below registry key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell_Folders

And check that all of the shell folder paths start with 'C:' .  If any start with E: (or whatever  letter is coming up as your error), then change this to C:. Also go to  'User_Shell_Folders' and make sure that it is changed to C: there as  well.
              This ought to give you a permanent solution.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader 10 only saves copy to E Drive-Flash Drive
                eliuri99 Level 1

At the key you mention:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\S hell_Folders

all entries begin with C:\

EXCEPT

My Pictures

This has a blank data entry to it. Nothing in the data column for that entry

in contrast to

My Music (at that key)

which has the data entry:

C:\My Music

Would you recommend I enter

C:\My Pictures

in the data column at this key?

Thanks for your patience:

-Eliuri

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader 10 only saves copy to E Drive-Flash Drive
                  MiTePython Level 1

The My Pictures key should point to c:\documents and settings\%userprofile%\my documents\my pictures by default.  This is not causing your issue though.  Did you also check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\user shell folders as well from my original post?  Were you able to save to the my documents folder by browsing to the path in my earlier post?

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader 10 only saves copy to E Drive-Flash Drive
                    eliuri99 Level 1

No, I could not save it that way. I could however save the entire page via -->File-->Save as in Firefox

This gives me a PDF file in My Documents.

I just cant do it via the Save a Copy    icon in the upper left  form within the adobe Reader program itself. Thats when  I get that notice that the disk is full.

At both of those keys u mentioned, the file path  as you put it forth are not given for both My Music and My Pictures. Simply C:\My Music

There was an instance at one of those keys where it read E: instead of C:  as the disk name.   I changed  that to C. I was then able to install it regularly witohut using the flsh drive at E.

My concern is simply that theres something wrong with the registry given those truncated  filepaths. Perhaps thats why it doesnt save from within the software.. Though it seems I can often do it from the File--Save as function form within Firefox. So a major concern here is if I should rewrite those registry items in that expanded form. And also whether to fill in that blank Data column for My Pictures.

That      User Shell Folder    key simply reads:

C:\My Music

and

C:\My Pictures

with no file paths

-Eliuri

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader 10 only saves copy to E Drive-Flash Drive
                      eliuri99 Level 1

Hi  again:

I solved this issue by installing Adobe Reader 9.4

Seems Adobe X just isnt comaptible with my system.

• 8. Re: Adobe Reader 10 only saves copy to E Drive-Flash Drive
                        eliuri99 Level 1

Downgrade to Adobe Reader 9 solved this